A Question for those used to deep snow (and horses!) please

Chex

Visit site
First of all, apologies for yet another snow post
tongue.gif

I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance from those hardy peeps that are used to all this deep snow malarky
crazy.gif
. So horse was coping fine with the snow, but its just getting scary deep now. Luckily its frozen enough that if I move quick I can stay on top of it (but if I pause I'm instantly buried to my thighs...has caused much amusement
smirk.gif
).

But horse just sinks straight through it to his armpits and has to leap/jump to keep moving. While not seeming overly bothered by this I'm slightly worried he's going to do himself some harm
frown.gif
. He's closer to 30 than 20 which makes it even worse.

I'm sure this is perfectly normal, and TBH there isn't really a way round it seeing as most of the field is like that apart from the tracks that they've made which are compacted. But do they cope ok with this? It must be a common problem even in the Highlands, never mind in Canada or Europe!

Any reassurance gratefully received
crazy.gif
laugh.gif

PS. its not an option to keep him in.

ladyt25

Visit site
My that does sound deep! We don't have it that bad here, only about a foot or so I'd say if that. I would say that yes horses should be fine but it does sound that you have extremely deep snow. Is he out 24/7?

Is there anywhere that's not that deep?

The only concern i would have I guess is him getting tired and colc being constantly in that deep snow. Is it possible to dig out an area at all where he could stand and have a bit of a break?

Sorry can't be much more help really but if you can't stable him for a bit just to give him a break I'm not really sure what you can do.

jaye1780

Visit site
wow thats deep!! I agree with trying to dig out an area for the horse to have a break, if the snow lets up long enough to let you! As long as they are warm and have food and water am sure will be fine :)

Chex

Visit site
I think some of the field is only about 6 inches deep cos he was standing in quite a shallow bit when I arrived. I guess the wind last night has made it drift quite a bit, so some bits are fine while others are super deep
crazy.gif
. Unfortunately in the dark its impossible to tell which bit is which till you're in it!

He's stabled at night for 8 hours or so, so gets a break then. He'd still prefer to be out in it, not a fan of being indoors!

Its supposed to finally get above freezing (by a whole 1 degree) next week so fingers crossed it'll melt
smirk.gif
... I'm not holding my breath.

scotia2k7

www.palegallery.com
...Wee soul! What a trouper! If he was mine Id be very tempted to snuggle him up *grins* - unless a medical issue prevented it. My gal (whos 19 in Feb) weaves like a bandit if kept in during the day (& has done the 17yrs Ive owned her) - but! - if kept in three days in in a row, when its cold & she gets her routine morning feed, & then *whooohaaa* some haylege, she settles & prefers to be in. She's allus been in at night though.

Good luck!
scotia