A question for those who are/have been "over horsed"...long

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm interested to hear people's views/experiences/advice on being over horsed. Those who have been..did you over come the issue and how?? Those that are in that situation. .how are you dealing with it??
My rising for year old goes off to be backed and schooled next Monday. I have had him almost 2 years and he has done little other than grow up and learn to trust (long story but his history is dodgy though through no fault of his own I hasten to add). However he can be very full of himself and strong from the ground, occasionally I would even go as far as to say dangerous (like pi*sing off from the lead rope on the road). With the help of a Dually we have got some of this in hand. He can be sharp at times and appears incredibly intelligent. He is now most definately at the stage of needing something to occupy his brain. But he also lacks confidence at times and can get hysterical when his field mate goes out so requires one person to walk her in hand/hack her out and another (usually me) at the field to try to keep him calm. This is wearing a bit thin now as you can imagine.
I feel hopelessly over horsed at times and admit he probably hasn't had as much disvipline as needed :eek: and probably he will be easier for the trainers as they are experienced with youngsters. I am excited and terrified in equal measure at the thought of having him home after. The people training him will have him as long as he needs as I have never rushed him and no intentions to start now. All I have asked of them is to get him hacking out safely on his own, the rest can come later. They are only up the road so I can see him being worked and have lessons on him.
Maybe I'm just being a wimp but the biggest glitch in all this is that I absolutely love this horse heart and soul. I will do anything it takes, however long it takes to make things work for us. I guess really what I'm wanting to know is how other people have dealt with things like this and built their confidence etc?? The weight of my responsibilty to him weighs heavily and I will only ever do what's right for him no matter what.

Ummm huge bottle Brandy for those that read my rambling without dying of boredom lol :eek:

Bernster

Visit site
Not sure if she's still on but I was always really impressed and slightly in awe of what Ludoctro did with her horse.

I find it difficult to comment on threads like this as so much depends on your circs, experience, what you think you can manage, money ! etc etc.

I was overhorsed but for a very short time, realised early on that me and horse wouldn't suit and he was better off with someone who had the confidence and experience to deal with him (a big stroppy youngster) so I suppose I gave up. But I felt it was right for the both of us, and if you love your boy then if it's right he should go elsewhere, then that is showing how much you love him and want what's right.

But I'm sure that with time, patience, expertise, maybe some prof help, you may well be able to overcome things and he could be the perfect boy for you. Maybe see what the trainer thinks after they've spent some time with him>

Coblover63

Visit site
I went from a cob to a "proper" horse, I bought a TB and that was the start of my demise for many years. Looking back he was a totally safe TB, BUT I could never get over the thoughts in my head that he'd be sharp and spooky (he was neither, generally) and eventually I lost a great deal of my riding confidence, just through my thoughts alone. I eventually admitted to my husband that I was terrified of riding him and he was sold to a lovely lady who was used to TB's and still adores him.

I then had a nasty riding accident and broke 6 ribs which shattered my confidence even further.

And then I found cob Joe.... the one who gave it all back to me. I went from 16.2 to 14.2 and over the past two years I have gone from riding being led by my husband to bringing on my lightly backed 4yo and hacking him out solo, without any excessive fears. I owe Joe everything for being safe, trustworthy and totally adorable.

In my experience, if you think you will be over-horsed, you are setting yourself up to fail because you are worried before anything has even gone wrong. We invest a lot of money into our hobby, which is supposed to be fun and enjoyable.... so why force ourselves to do something we're not happy to do?

eahotson

Visit site
I was overhorsed.He destroyed my confidence.Sent him to a selling livery which was very good and he went to a far more suitable home.Best thing for us both.I have a lovely little welsh who has been a saint.I am really enjoying my riding again.

Nicnac

Visit site
I have given him to my daughter to event and I just do the not leaving the ground stuff until he stops the green launches! She's a cracking crash dummy.

You don't know how your boy is going to be under saddle until he's been backed so don't worry about things you don't know yet!

My previous horse was professionally backed at 4 and I spent the next 6 months falling off; galloping sideways up the road etc. but due to the fantastic bond we had forged in the first 3.5 years before backing, I trusted her implicitly and we went on to have a fabulous relationship until she passed away.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Despite those around me saying otherwise I've always felt a little over-horsed by H. He's a sweet lad but is far greener than I ever imagined which isn't the best combination when coupled with my confidence of glass!

What's worked for us is just taking things slowly and not losing sight of the little achievements, such as happily cantering on hacks or popping the odd log. We went on our first solo hack yesterday but you'd think we'd qualified for the Olympics the way I've gone on about it. We've also had a great instructor on hand who understands that a lot of our issues stem from a lack of faith in my ability so gives us exercises to do that help me prove to myself that I know what I'm doing. It's not been an easy journey so far but the sense of achievement I get each time we turn a corner is amazing and I wouldn't change it for the world.

AngieandBen

Visit site
I went from a cob to a "proper" horse, I bought a TB and that was the start of my demise for many years. Looking back he was a totally safe TB, BUT I could never get over the thoughts in my head that he'd be sharp and spooky (he was neither, generally) and eventually I lost a great deal of my riding confidence, just through my thoughts alone. I eventually admitted to my husband that I was terrified of riding him and he was sold to a lovely lady who was used to TB's and still adores him.

I then had a nasty riding accident and broke 6 ribs which shattered my confidence even further.

And then I found cob Joe.... the one who gave it all back to me. I went from 16.2 to 14.2 and over the past two years I have gone from riding being led by my husband to bringing on my lightly backed 4yo and hacking him out solo, without any excessive fears. I owe Joe everything for being safe, trustworthy and totally adorable.

In my experience, if you think you will be over-horsed, you are setting yourself up to fail because you are worried before anything has even gone wrong. We invest a lot of money into our hobby, which is supposed to be fun and enjoyable.... so why force ourselves to do something we're not happy to do?

This story is almost identical to mine! I now have a 23 year old welsh sec C who I have had 5 years, he has been amazing, I can't imagine my life without him ( omg I'm getting all weepy now lol ) The best thing I've done with Ben is taking him to Holkham beach. like a dream come true :)

rara007

Visit site
I sold the horse after 18 months of ups and downs and got something more like I was used to. He was a lovely character when not being worked and I loved him, but it wasn't going to work out in our best interests.

planete

Visit site
Do not think you are over horsed, rather that you may need to improve your riding skills through lessons, reading, and working hard at perfecting your equestrian tact and timing in order to be a match for your horse if he turns out to be sharper and more sensitive than you have been used to until now. You can see this horse as a fantastic opportunity to become an even better rider than you already are and rise to the challenge or you can quake in your boots and set yourself up to fail.
I ma not saying it will be easy or risk free (or cheap!), but with a bit of thought and planning and help when you need it you will get there. After all, it is how the riders you look up to did it!

WindyStacks

Visit site
As per planate above, I have only ever bought one horse I felt I'd mastered from day 1. Sold him pdq as there was no challenge.

Over-horsed or on an adventure?

skint1

Visit site
First horse I bought my daughter found her over-horsed as a rider and me over-horsed as a groom. We learned a lot through her and because of her but I think the horse could have been a lot more in a more experienced home so that is a shame for her.

Kokopelli

Visit site
I was when I was 16. I did the stereotypical moving off ponies (show jumping) and got blinded by flashy/ big jumper. He was too big for me and had quite an attitude which knocked my confidence. We sent him for sales livery and he sold on and have heard nothing since.

But despite all of this I wish I never sold him as now I feel I would be more that capable to ride him and I feel we could have gone quite far together. I wish I put him on loan until I improved and in a few years took the ride back.

Frumpoon

Visit site
Do not think you are over horsed, rather that you may need to improve your riding skills through lessons, reading, and working hard at perfecting your equestrian tact and timing in order to be a match for your horse if he turns out to be sharper and more sensitive than you have been used to until now. You can see this horse as a fantastic opportunity to become an even better rider than you already are and rise to the challenge or you can quake in your boots and set yourself up to fail.
I ma not saying it will be easy or risk free (or cheap!), but with a bit of thought and planning and help when you need it you will get there. After all, it is how the riders you look up to did it!

This...with bells on....I'm perpetually over horses, got 2 big monsters that test me regularly, people are always asking why I don't sell one or both....I absolutely bloody love the challenge.... Xxxxx

PorkChop

Visit site
Don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet, he isn't even backed yet. Hard to handle and sharp on the ground don't always translate to when being ridden.

I bred a filly that was sharp as a nail, she backed beautifully and has never been sharp to ride.

springtime1331

Visit site
My warmblood mare was a real handful on the ground, sharp, hysterical and all over the place. I was a bit worried this would continue on board. I backed and and brought her on myself and she was fab. So yes, don't worry about it, if you think the world of him you'll make it happen.

Coblover63

Visit site
I think it depends on whether you want to be challenged with your riding and strive to improve, or whether you are happy to hack gently around the countryside enjoying the view. I'm of the latter brigade.... I don't bounce as well as I used to ;)

Tobiano

Visit site
I think it depends too! As a teenager I'd have loved a horse with a bit of a challenge. Nowadays (51) I really want one where I don't have to plan for a disaster scenario every time I pick up the bridle. I managed to buy 3 horses that were too much for me and despite having lessons, paying people to nanny me out cubbing / xc training / going to shows, could not reach the standard of riding that they turned out to need (Moral: Don't buy a horse that is poor and not fit, as you don't know what mischief it will do when it has enough energy!). I now have a saintly boy who took me round xc training yesterday and got me back in the saddle on the 3 occasions when I tried to come out - an essential trait I have now found!

But I also agree that your youngster may be a pussycat under saddle, so I wouldnt assume you are over horsed without giving it a go, as long as you can see that he's safe during the training process. Good luck!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think it depends on whether you want to be challenged with your riding and strive to improve, or whether you are happy to hack gently around the countryside enjoying the view. I'm of the latter brigade.... I don't bounce as well as I used to ;)

I think it also depends a lot on the exact situation. I deal often with the fall out when people buy more horse than they are really competent to handle. Sometimes they can raise their game and 'catch up' quite quickly and safely. Sometimes the horse is simply not fit for the job and it's unfair and unsafe for all concerned. Sometimes the owner would be able to cope but other aspects of their life - kids, health etc - make it too high a risk. Sometimes all it takes is the right sort of help to turn things around. Or to make a decision.

I really hate words like 'wimp' and 'giving up' because they infer that the only 'right' option is blind pursuit in the face of common sense.

OP, don't borrow trouble. But, equally, keep your options open and use the resource of your nearby trainer. To be blunt (and unpopular) just because you love the horse, that doesn't automatically make you the best home for him. Equally, if it's just your own skills that need building and you like the horse enough to put that effort in, then you might find it's an amazing experience.

I have to say, the people i have seen rise to challenges like this successfully are not always the people you would expect at the outset.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm not sure I have ever been over horsed, but I have certainly had a couple that I didn't enjoy/ride particularly well. Both were sold after persevering for 2-3 years. I'm not sure I'd hang onto them that long again.

Pigeon

Visit site
I agree - an adventure :)

Could you book some lessons on a schoolmaster (I mean a dressagey type not a plod) - this will give you some techniques for keeping a horse calm and contained :)

Dizzle

Visit site
I overhorsed myself with my first horse, he was a bit of a sympathy vote when I first got him and as he got healthier and fitter he developed a LOT of personality. I carried on for a couple of years and I reached a point where I was spending half my time wanting to cry.

I found a racehorse rehoming charity that I would take him, as in the right hands he was a nice horse.

I gifted him to them and ended up with a small New Forest pony I wouldn't part with as she looks after me, not only that she does everything and more that I want!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet, he isn't even backed yet. Hard to handle and sharp on the ground don't always translate to when being ridden.

I bred a filly that was sharp as a nail, she backed beautifully and has never been sharp to ride.

This entirely. They can be quite different to ride :) My old gelding was a total tosspot on the ground but really never caused any problem ridden. Go figure.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Now I don't feel over-horsed but my Welsh D definitely thinks he is under-ridered. He is my first pony, bought when I was 39, and at times he terrified me during the first few years. Ten years down the line I have learned so much from, mostly that understanding horse psychology is as important as looking after their physical health. As he is nearly retired now I have begun to hack and have lessons on other horses and am realising how difficult he is to manage. However I love him to bits and don't regret a minute or all the expense. Don't think my YO would have another like him though!

Asha

Visit site

Agree with this.

My homebred is now 5 and I can honestly say I was both excited and petrified about getting him under saddle. I would watch him play, bronc and buck in the field and secretly worry he would be like this under saddle. The reality is so very different, hes very powerful, but never naughty. He instantly relaxes when I get on, we just chill.
I pay a local pro to ride/school/compete him. That way he gets the best start, and I get confidence from watching someone else do a great job with him. Plus she gives me plenty of advice, maybe try that with the person who is backing him until you are ready to go solo

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thank you all a million...This thread has changed my perception a little.
To view it all as an adventure or challenge puts a different spin on it, I need to be more positive rather than setting myself, and ultimately him, up to fail. :) Just need to breathe and relax and take it as it comes instead of stressing over what "might" happen :)

Joyous70

Visit site

Agree with this, after owing my 13.2hh for nearly 20 years and then having another pony and loosing him after 8 years. I ended up with a 2.5 year old who had little handling, she was a nightmare on the ground, and everyone on the yard thought she was going to kill me. I on the other hand relished the challenge, i have never had a youngster before, took on board my instructors advice and got someone out who was experienced to help me with some ground work with her, and then backed her for me, yes i would have loved to back her myself, however,i knew that this was the most important aspect of her ridden career and did not want to get this wrong.

She has been backed nearly 12 months now, i love her dearly and would never part with her, she is sometimes opinionated, stubborn and downright difficult, we have a couple of issues at the moment, but im getting them sorted, but most of all she has made me realise (without sounding big headed) im better than i thought i was, and i love a challenge, we are a really good match for each other, and everyone on the yard who thought i was stupid or whatever have had to eat their words.

I view her as my first REAL horse and im hoping we have many many happy years to come.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
(Moral: Don't buy a horse that is poor and not fit, as you don't know what mischief it will do when it has enough energy!).

I have done this more than once and it has only worked out well once with an exracehorse I bought straight from training who was my dream horse. The others turned into little/big sods and would regularly buck me off and ruined my confidence. I wasn't over horsed when I bought them. I was when I'd got them looking and feel in well again!!!

My ideal horse is an overgrown PC pony - one of which I have now who is great. She is an all terrain vehicle and just seems to be calm wherever we ride so I can go exploring which is what I love to do in the summer and we'll be hunting all winter. I do not have the time for a "special" horse anymore. Nor do I want one. I don't bounce so well these days!!!

Oti_moo

Visit site
Agree with some of the others, my rising 6yo, was a nightmare to handle as a 2-3yo. He was bolshy and flighty and stubborn and would scream blue murder if you took him out of the field on his own! I thought he would be a maniac to ride, I backed him at 4 and he has not put a hoof wrong to this day he really enjoys working and learning things and it seems the more he does under saddle the calmer he is on the ground...that and an the fact he was on box rest for 12 weeks last year with canker in 3 feet. The intensive handling and having to deal with being in on his own etc really helped.

He has really matured this year and he's like a completely different horse, very accepting and well behaved...honestly 3 years ago I would have bet my bottom dollar I would have a real struggle on my hands so don't give up yet and good luck with your boy!

Dizzle

Visit site
(Moral: Don't buy a horse that is poor and not fit, as you don't know what mischief it will do when it has enough energy!).

Oh no, I am even stupider than that, I had said horse on loan for 7 months, I think in my heart I probably knew three months before I bought him that he was too much for me, but I still went ahead.

I never actually fell off him in all the time I had him but I just didn't enjoy owning him.

catembi

Visit site
I once had a 4 yo HannxTB who was very sharp. I used to lunge before I rode to take the tickle out of his feet, then ride with a neckstrap. I don't think I ever actually grabbed it, but it made me ride more assertively because I knew it was there.

He was a naughty, sharp little monkey til he was 7, whereupon he suddenly turned into a plod, so I got bored with him & sold him!

T x