A question for those who compete and stay away

china

Visit site
I stayed away a number of times last year for anything up to a week. I have a 3.5t box and fab tent that I sleep in. I had everything I needed and the showground provided the toilet and shower facilities. The queue for the showers was interesting on a daily basis and I soon learnt that flip flops In these showers were a must.

my question for you is what do you do for showering when you are away;
Do you shower and put up with the queue's?
Do you have a shower in your horsebox?
or other?

how would you feel if you could have a portable and private shower for you and your party to use?

Thanks for your feedback!

mrogers

Visit site
I don't mind queuing, I soon learnt that if you got in there mid day you could walk straight in and have hot water. Got to say though, I do look forward to Broomes where we hire a cabin so can just lounge about in towels without putting clothes on whilst half wet

slumdog

Visit site
The ONLY time crocs are acceptable IMO :D

I've glad you've posted about camping actually, I'm tenting it at hickstead and I'm a bit worried!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Ha ha. I remember sitting around with some other competitors at a three day show. Someone asked what we should do first when we got home. I said "have a bath." The answer was supposed to be "Kiss your husband." I replied, "In that case it would definitly be a bath first!"

Can't say I bothered much with showers. I was on my own, I had a good wash in the trailer (!) - yes primitive camping - so long as my face and hands were clean and I didn't have to get too close to anyone else just did without for a couple of days. Nice to splash around when back home though.

measles

Visit site
We are currently staying at Bury Farm and the showers are fairly basic with little privacy. The upside is that my OH, faced with hours to twiddle his thumbs after B had jumped, sorted the hot water in the lorry so that it works. Downside is all water ran out as I was rinsing shampoo from my hair!

I usually use showers provides to save soaking the lorry's bathroom and agree flip flops are a necessity!

star

Visit site
I have just added flip-flops to my packing list for Badminton! I've never stayed away before for more than one night so the whole showers thing is new to me. I do have one in the lorry but it's so small I'm not that keen on using it! Also I think one shower and I'll use half the water in my water tank and don't fancy spending my days carting water around to refill it.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Shower? Wots that then? We normally only get showers if we are using a racecourse venue and have use of the jockey facilities, in which case everything is wonderfully civilized. For hair washing, we take a camping 'sun shower'. Leave it out all day and as long as the sun comes out at some point you'll have warm water to wash your hair with.

LMR

Visit site
Yes shower and try to avoid busy times
We used to have a box which had a shower but have a trailer now and stay in travelodge
Portable shower does sound good but have a feeling its one of those things that sounds great but wont be prepared to pay extra for it.

Have to say we used to take an extra long hose to show swith us and asked if we could fill water tank up. Most places were ok for us to fill our tank up so could have a decent shower

I stayed away a number of times last year for anything up to a week. I have a 3.5t box and fab tent that I sleep in. I had everything I needed and the showground provided the toilet and shower facilities. The queue for the showers was interesting on a daily basis and I soon learnt that flip flops In these showers were a must.

my question for you is what do you do for showering when you are away;
Do you shower and put up with the queue's?
Do you have a shower in your horsebox?
or other?

how would you feel if you could have a portable and private shower for you and your party to use?

Thanks for your feedback!

china

Visit site
The ONLY time crocs are acceptable IMO :D

I've glad you've posted about camping actually, I'm tenting it at hickstead and I'm a bit worried!

You will love it. I camped at hickstead and in the sea of lorries I couldn't see many other camping but it was great. We were parked right on the edge though which meant we had all the lorries coming in and leaving going past us all day and night which was a pain but we soon got used to it. The only other tents I saw were for people to store haylage lol!!
The reason I have asked for feedback is I am trialing taking a shower away with me this year. I already have the shower (gas run) and I am going to buy a shower tent and pitch it behind my own. The shower tents aren't to expensive so I can live with that. I will take a different hose attachment to for use with the horse. I won't need it if staying away for one night but will be using it if staying away for longer!

humblepie

Visit site
When we fitted out our lorry OH wanted a shower - think that and the loo were the only things we bought new as opposed to scrap yards and old caravan bits. I think using the shower at Hickstead one year when it was about 6 foot deep in mud to get to and not much cleaner inside finished him off. I think the shower tent sounds a good idea.

slumdog

Visit site
I'm glad other people go camping! I've only done one away show and I borrowed space in a lorry so this is the first time I will have gone on my own! What do you do for hair dryers etc? Or am I going to be rocking the frizzy look all week lol! Are you allowed a small generator?

asmp

Visit site
At a talk given by BHS on horse transport the other day, they warned us of the weight of water if you're going to take it with you (i.e. Don't put make your lorry overweight just for the sake of a shower)

slumdog

Visit site
Ooh on that subject, my husband is a mobile valeter and he found that carrying large quantities of water can invalidate some insurance polices! Not sure if it would in this case but be worth baring in mind.

china

Visit site
I'm glad other people go camping! I've only done one away show and I borrowed space in a lorry so this is the first time I will have gone on my own! What do you do for hair dryers etc? Or am I going to be rocking the frizzy look all week lol! Are you allowed a small generator?

I don't dry my hair anyway so I just washed it, or attempted to, my hair is so thick the water pressure in other showers take for ever to rinse my hair lol! It was very hot when I went so I just left it down to dry. Yes you can take a small genie but they have to be off by 11pm :)

china

Visit site
At a talk given by BHS on horse transport the other day, they warned us of the weight of water if you're going to take it with you (i.e. Don't put make your lorry overweight just for the sake of a shower)

For a stay away show I only ever carry enough water for the journey just incase there is an unplanned traffic jam and double the journey time! When we arrive water is accessed from the show ground so no need to carry large quantities :) I have no where to put Dozens of water containers anyway! Space is at a premium in the lorry when staying away! Most of it being taken up by food for us haha!!!

china

Visit site
Oh and I recommend going down to the polo club house for dinner to! Not to expensive and very nice food! Less than £20 for two of us. We only did it for one night, the night we arrived, as after a 4 hour drive and setting up camp and horse I didn't fancy cooking!! Not sure what the take away is like, there is normally a man at the gate with a menu!