A question for those without horse insurance...

Knb

Visit site
What would be your thoughts on short-term or temporary horse insurance?

Would you find it useful to be able to buy just a week or even a days worth of insurance (for example if you had a potential new horse on trial, or you were taking your horse to a one-off event)?

Would be interesting to hear your opinions :)

holeymoley

Visit site
Not really, surely it would then encourage claims if you ‘knew’ when you had it and when you didn’t. I don’t know any company that would offer this as surely they would be out of pocket pretty soon!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Insurance companies make their (considerable) profits over the long term. There is no way this would work from their point of view.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think I’d ever be in a position to need it tbh. I have 3rd party as standard and don’t go anywhere where I’d be at more risk of accidents than I would be normally.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I guess it would just be for accident cover ? I imagine there is a market for this as long as it was affordable
It would be so expensive as to be unattractive— so i cant see it ever being offered. If it was there would be so much wiggle room in the contracts as to make them pretty useless

Nudibranch

Visit site
Given horse insurance policies generally exclude the first 14 days, I don't see how a short term policy would work unless as above it had so many exclusions as to make it pointless.

SO1

Visit site
My horse is insured. I have had to make quite a few claims over the last 14 years.
None of which have occurred due to an event.

I can't see how this would work why would someone only want to insure for a couple of weeks unless perhaps you are a dealer in expensive horses who plans to sell and wants a bit of cover for a few months in case horse get sick or injured.

If you have a horse on trial then it is not yours so if anything went wrong it would be the owners insurance that would cover this situation if they had it.

What would be your thoughts on short-term or temporary horse insurance?

Would you find it useful to be able to buy just a week or even a days worth of insurance (for example if you had a potential new horse on trial, or you were taking your horse to a one-off event)?

Would be interesting to hear your opinions :)

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Nope, the one that isn’t insured has a list of exclusions a mile long which makes insurance pointless, if he didn’t he would be insured.

I can’t really see the value of short term insurance tbh, for things like a trial I would expect the insurance to stay in the owner’s name. More to the point, I can’t see how it would work as a business model as surely the insurers would rapidly end up operating at a loss?

MissTyc

Visit site
I think in the real world, most people take out insurance and cancel within the first 14 days. No illness would be covered, but a non-event related accident would, and let's be honest they are the most common type. I know two people who have had to make accident claims on day 1. My friend was sideswiped in her horsebox on the way home from the dealer with her new horse, resulting in a bad accident and multiple surgeries. Bet Petplan were thrilled by that one. 08.00 - start insurance. 09.00 - Dear insurance, also I have a massive claim. There was no question that is was an accident that occurred AFTER the insurance was taken out, however, so no problems. The other example was a horse that broke it's splint bone on first time turned out after arriving on new yard. Horses, eh, it's a miracle insurance companies touch them at all.

For a limited duration insurance to provide greater cover, it would probably have to cost the same as a year's premium anyway.