A question for you farriers please

lochpearl

Visit site
Could you please answer the following questions for me as I would like to understand:
How long does it take to train as a farrier?
If you are an apprentice what are the stages you go through - timewise. i.e. can rasp and take shoes off from day one, nail on already fitted shoes month x through to fitting.
What type of supervision do you need for the above stages.
Ok, so for example, can an apprentice who has only been with his mentor for a year nail on and finish off a pair of shoes after a qualified farrier has fit and shaped them. Also should the farrier be supervising the nailing in.

Thanks so much in advance.

Nailed

Visit site
Yes at a year, an apprentice will be nailing on and finishing, The farrier doesnt neessarily need to be watching the apprentice constantly but should be on the same venue.

I was taking shoes off from a week after i started 'watching' I was rasping shoes up, straight away.

I was clencing up and finishing after about 2 months. maybe a little less (supervised)

I was pairing feet after about four months supervised.

I nailed up a horse after 5 months (should of been later, but i was the only person the horse would tolerate touching his hind legs as he was a nervous shiverer.)

If an apprentice has nailed you horse up, and the job is not good, or your unhappy about something. Speak to his boss, explain the situation and ask him to rectify it..

Lou x

lochpearl

Visit site
thanks Lou, no I'm very happy with the job, it's just he's a very 'cocky' boy and he hit my horse 3 times with a hammer for no good reason. Awkward situation as all the others are great and I don't want to make waves so thought that if he wasn't supposed to be doing the nailing on I could have requested that he didn't shoe him again.

Horse has always been brilliant with the farrier but haven't been down since these guys have been doing him, this time he was a bit fidgety which made me wonder if he'd had a smack before.

teddyt

Visit site
I am prepared to be corrected on this but i thought that if an apprentice hit a horse it is a reportable offence. Im sure my farrier told me that an apprentice is not allowed to raise their hand. Regardless, never mind about making waves. Your horse comes first and 3 times with a hammer fo no reason is appalling. I would be making alot of waves if i were you. Tell the boss.

OWLIE185

Visit site
This youngster needs to be checked at this point in his carear if he is hitting horses. Have a quiet word with the farrier and explain your concerns. If he does it again then simply contact the secretary of the Farriers Registration Council and they will then take action.

Nailed

Visit site
Id speak to you farrier about him hitting the horse with a hammer, jsut raise the issure and ask that that apprentice does not do your horse again (you are well within you right to do this)

Teddy im afraid theres is nothing to say that you cant raise a hand at a horse, and some of the horses you have to deal with really do just need a clout. Im sorry if people dont agree with this, but half a ton of horse taking the wet is not nice.

Owlie i think thats a bit of a synical really. Everyone needs a chance, and the first point of call is the ATF not the FRC..

Lou x

lochpearl

Visit site
I agree Lou, I'll make sure I'm there next time and try and have a quiet word. As I said the boy is pretty good (even though a friend text me today and said he has lamed 2 horses she knows!) but that is really nothing to do with me.

I agree he should be disciplined if he does something wrong as he is more like 3/4 of a tonne!! But as I said he has always up until now been great for the farrier and he wasn't actually doing anything wrong.

Weezy

Visit site
I don't think an apprentice should nail or finish off unless you have given permission - we pay full price for a qualified and registered farrier (well I do) and I have taken umbridge in the past when I have seen it is actually an apprentice doing the work. It isn't on and I personally would hit the roof if an apprentice of 5 months was nailing on! There is a good reason why the normal period of training for an apprentice is 4 years and 2 months!

kick_On

Visit site
ditto - apprentice need to learn BUT hitting is a NO, NO.......... and personnel REALLY would NOT want such a young apprentice nailing on shoes to my competetion horses - sorry being honest

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
I dont agree with this. I did not nail on shoes until my second year and quite rightly so. Its a long apprenticeship and nailing on is the most risky as well as trimming.

Maybe the apprentice is good, and being watched. I cant comment on other teahcing styles though so thats up to you to take it up with the boss. ESPECIALLY since you are not happy.

He should not be hammering your horse. Maybe an elbow b ut not using tools ever.

I started with big cobs and draught types when nailing on, never anything TB or sensitive

joginthepark

Visit site
sorry to take over this post.

But what if:
A farrier sends out an apprentice who trims a yearling and after notice youngsters hoof turning out, say to the apprentice and he says its coz he is young and will "grow" out of it. i get my vet out as notice knee is twisting round

it was coz his hoof had clasped and hoof wall damaged! he couldnt beleave he had been seen by farrier 4 weeks ago. make it worse, his show career is a no go this year.

brucea

Visit site
Hmm. Seen 2 farriers, 1 apprentice so far thumping a horse with rasps, hammers, kicking in stomach etc.

Never seen a qualified trimmer thumping a horse like that yet. Never seems to get to that point with them.

Just an observation, not starting a farriers vs trimmer row.

Got the apprentice a few times when my lads were shod, was a very bad experience for them and for me. Just another of the reasons we don't use shoes any more.

Sorry.

joginthepark

Visit site
[
Just an observation, not starting a farriers vs trimmer row.

Im not either but wanted to know what and how to go about complaining.

brucea

Visit site
In the first instance I'd talk to the farrier himself about the apprentices conduct. If he choses not to address them then it's the ATF I think rather than the FRC.

I've no objection to a warning smack and rub - sometimes that's needed to get focus and attention, but using tools is not really on.