A question on showing tack....

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
So, I know showing tack is supposed to be brown but why?

Now, I can understand that the point of showing is that you are showing off the horse, and hence you want tack to be discreet (so no bling/ bright pink bridles etc) but I don't see how on the vast majority of horses brown is any more discreet than black? (added to this personally I prefer black tack on most horses, particularly on blacks/piebalds/ blue roans etc I think brown tack looks more out of place).

Similarly, why the big prejudice against synthetic tack in the show ring?

Surely so long as my tack is clean and functional that should be all that matters? Afterall, having brown tack doesn't make my horse any better mannered/ more to type etc? All it would show in my eyes is I can afford to buy a set of tack in brown leather!

(and just to note I only do low level showing and I've never had a judge comment on the fact I show my mare in black synthetic tack, I'm just curious as in lot of 'help what do I wear/do we look ok for showing?' posts people always say you'll be marked down if your tack isn't brown).

Cedars

Visit site
Showing is a world of its own. There are rules that make no sense! Either abide by the rules and suck it up, accepting that they're not fair and sometimes totally stupid, or if its going to upset you, don't do it!

I'm going for the "just ignore and carry on" policy! =] xxxx

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Showing is a world of its own. There are rules that make no sense! Either abide by the rules and suck it up, accepting that they're not fair and sometimes totally stupid, or if its going to upset you, don't do it!

I'm going for the "just ignore and carry on" policy! =] xxxx
Well, thats pretty much what I do, and apparently at local level in my area this hasn't proved a problem so far (and TBH I doubt the mare and I will ever get above local level, so its never really going to be an issue) but I'm just curious as to the why it came about to begin with.

A lot of the rules of showing I can see the logic in (eg discreet numnah rather than saddlecloth, no jewellary etc) but the showring's pathalogical dislike of black (and not just tack, it also seems to include hats/gloves/jackets and so on) baffles me, as all it seems to do it stop people who can't afford oodles of stuff competing!

Divasmum

Visit site
I think a lot of conventions in showing date from decades ago. At that time tack came in various shades of brown but no black. I am sure at a local level it doesn't matter but above this brown is still used.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Black tack is more heavily dyed than brown, and as such can hide imperfections in the leather that you would usually see that may indicate a possible weak spot in the tack.

As the original show classes were showing off the types of horses that did particular jobs - hunters for example, you wouldn't want a rein to snap out hunting.

Synthetic tack is just horrid though - you can get good second hand leather saddles for the same money, and you have far more stickability in a good leather saddle.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Black tack is more heavily dyed than brown, and as such can hide imperfections in the leather that you would usually see that may indicate a possible weak spot in the tack.

As the original show classes were showing off the types of horses that did particular jobs - hunters for example, you wouldn't want a rein to snap out hunting.

Ok, I guess that somewhat makes sense. Say I wanted to do something like trailblazers showing (which is supposedly aimed at the amateur) would I still be marked down for black tack?

Synthetic tack is just horrid though - you can get good second hand leather saddles for the same money, and you have far more stickability in a good leather saddle.
Personally I don't think its horrid (though it is harder to find nice stuff, simply because there's less of it about). I don't just buy non-leather for moneytary reasons; I'm a veggie and think its hypocritical of me to buy leather if I'm not going to eat cow! (although can we please not let this thread change into an ethics of leather wearing/ riding when being a veggie please! ;)). My horse came with her wintec saddle and unless it didn't fit her (in which case it would become a priority to get a new one), I don't have enough spare cash around to buy another saddle, leather or not. Plus I've got to say I've never had a problem with 'stickability' with it (I'm somewhat bemused by people saying they fall off in them while jumping, because I am by no means a great rider and my jumping position is often, ahem, *interesting* and so I kind of feel if even I can stay on, surely others should be able to too?), I've only come off twice in 4 years of riding my girl and one of those I was riding bareback and the other I just wasn't paying attention (reins on buckle end etc), she spooked at a pheasent and I just rolled off the back! :D

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Black is for cavalry horses and those pulling a hearse; it also looks terrible and cheap on anything other than a black or grey horse.
Showing is about showing your horse and yourself off to their best advantage which is why brown tack is always worn and seen as correct so if you want to do showing properly why not buy brown tack from the start, it makes more sense than have to buy both.

starsnrunes

Visit site
I'm with you on this. Some classes you can get away with black tack (Hunters it *has* to be brown)

We've got black tack for Herc, and it suits him (he's black/very dark bay). Hopefully we're going to show him next year, Now we're going to have to get a new saddle anyway as he's currently ridden in (what i think is) a jumping saddle....It's comfy, it fits and it's ok for what we currently do, but not suitable for showing, if i can only find a brown one that fits then fine, but if i can get a black one then i'm having it. I don't see why i need to spend a fortune on a new bridle when his is perfectly ok (and it took us long enough to find a nice noseband for him as it is) especially when i'm also going to have to fork out for show jacket (mines black and possibley doesn't fit anymore) jods etc, Transport, entry fees......

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I'm with you on this. Some classes you can get away with black tack (Hunters it *has* to be brown)

We've got black tack for Herc, and it suits him (he's black/very dark bay). Hopefully we're going to show him next year, Now we're going to have to get a new saddle anyway as he's currently ridden in (what i think is) a jumping saddle....It's comfy, it fits and it's ok for what we currently do, but not suitable for showing, if i can only find a brown one that fits then fine, but if i can get a black one then i'm having it. I don't see why i need to spend a fortune on a new bridle when his is perfectly ok (and it took us long enough to find a nice noseband for him as it is) especially when i'm also going to have to fork out for show jacket (mines black and possibley doesn't fit anymore) jods etc, Transport, entry fees......

Nice to know its not just me! :)

Like I said I personally prefer black tack on most horses (I don't think it looks terrible and cheap at all! :p) even for things like chesnuts, (including mine) I think brown can look worse unless you can get exactly the right shade to match the tone of the coat, whereas black always looks smart!