A quick, slightly mopey Carlton HT and Keysoe HT report

BeckyD

Visit site
Last weekend (lovely, hot, sunny - dim distant memory now!) we toddled off (together with half my livery yard :D) to Carlton HT for a run round the 2'9". We've always had a silly stop at Carlton, usually at the smallest/most innocuous fence, so I went there armed with absolute determination that no matter what, we were going over every fence, first time, if it meant I had to get off and throw the ginger pony over. Anyway, it was hot and the warmup was like concrete, so I didn't bother jumping a warmup fence, but just let him see the horse in front of us set off (helps stop his nappy tendencies) and we were flying as soon as we landed from the first fence.

Bill knew his way round even though we followed a different path to normal. We had a dodgy moment at one of the small fences where he didn't jump it but just cantered over the top of it like it was a trot pole, plus he doesn't give small fences much room but skims them, which is a bit nerve-wracking!. :eek: I steadied for the corners as he goes a bit green and spooky at hedges/trees/fencelines. Launched himself off the step into water, then spotted our cheering contingent, whinnied at them and stopped :mad: Thankfully we were far enough in front of the next fence that I managed to wind him up and wiggle into it, then he was flying to the end. A minute over the time, but clear at last. Dead chuffed. It's taken me a year to get this clear round!!

A couple of pics:
http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_image;p=carlton Open XC/Class 5-Intem Open 13-30 to 14-10 Camera 1;i=43;img=1227051-Car-op12-00894b.jpg

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_image;p=carlton Open XC/Class 5-Intem Open 13-30 to 14-10 Camera 1;i=44

http://www.ultimate-images.co.uk/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_image;p=carlton Open XC/Class 5-Intem Open 13-30 to 14-10 Camera 2;i=20;img=1227051-Car-op12-00990c.jpg
So, a XC lesson with Baydale was lined up for Thursday at Keysoe, and it was fab. Bill started as spooky/tense/worried as usual, but settled down eventually and did some super jumps. I actually think it was the best XC lesson I've ever had :p I finished brimming with confidence and so excited about the Keysoe HT.

On Sunday, I walked the Keysoe HT 90cm course and thought there were a couple of questions (corner, plus jump before water, which Bill usually has to stop and figure out for a while) but apart from that it was a super course and well within our abilities. Sadly it wasn't to be! I was due to start XC at 1.36, so I got to the warmup at 1.06, to allow 20 mins for walking/chilling time, then 10 mins trotting/cantering/ 3 warmup jumps, then walking until we can go. Unfortunately they were running at least 40 mins late. As I was due to be first on course in the 90cm, I waited around, as Bill was being a bit of a twerp in the warmup, bucking and squealing and shooting off, and I thought a bit more time walking at the start would settle him. Kept going over to the board to check how many to go, but it was taking forever.

Then found that they'd opened up the list to start the 90cm, but weren't doing it in drawn times order, and because I hadn't been there to put my number down as I was on the other side of the field, walking Bill, I was wayyyyy down the list. I was furious! By this point I'd been sat on Bill over an hour and had at least another half hour to go. At this point I should have gotten off and gone back to trailer. No-one else in the 90cm was warmed up and ready, just me, but they still wouldn't let me go first.

Almost 2 hours to the minute after starting my warmup, I was finally started XC. Bill immediately napped back to the start box. That set the tone. He napped/spooked his way over the first 3 fences, I gave him a couple of reminders to go forwards, but he just wasn't locking onto anything at all. Stopped at 4, then sort of slid into it and launched himself, on the 2nd attempt. Did the same at the next fence - see the photos:

http://www.everybodysmile.biz/cgi-bin/public.cgi?form_status=order_image&img=img_0291d{256-Rebecca Dacre Ballyduff Bill.jpg&anc=p208_0001_es&ss=1&imgcat=256-Rebecca Dacre Ballyduff Bill

By this point I was sure we were going to have a nasty accident so I tried to get him thinking forwards and galloped him up to the chase fence, which he got into the bottom of and pretty much cat-leapt. Jumped the next fence lovely, then steadied for the turn and fence before water, which he sailed over, then through water lovely and over the palisade after. Then the napping started again, spooking left and right all the way to the next (TINY) fence, which he then skidded to a stop at - I slid up his neck, then he jumped across it sideways, leaving me dangling round his head. He turned and galloped for home, so I let go. Fortunately my OH, my farrier and friends were all watching and were able to catch Bill. Retired, wisely I think!

Gutted. XC demons definitely not laid to rest - this was by far our worst ever round. Was tempted afterwards to just give up jumping him. He's great at dressage. He's got a super jump but he just won't use it when it's needed. I need to get over the spooky/nappiness, and I need to find a way to get his anxiety levels down. he's just as bad hacking out - constantly thinking he's going to die from some tree attack. I obviously don't give him confidence, but I do try to ride quietly and confidently and I just feel a bit :confused: Maybe it was the horrendous warmup. He is a nappy wotsit and waiting around in one place doesn't help.

Will get some Blue Chip Karma and try it this weekend.

Sorry, that wasn't quick to read at all. It was quick to type though!

Last edited:

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
Oh hun I was waiting to see how you got on!! If I had of been on start I would have let you go!! You will get there, just a thought when I started pops x-c I sat a very experienced person on her back and she had legs like steel so she never got the idea of napping, and has always been really forward thinking x-c, could you put a pro rider on him just for a couple of goes just to ensure he knows what he is expected to do then you can take it from there!

Work on the hacking too, do you feed magnesium at all, pops lives on magnidude, but some horses can need up to 35mg per day dependent on if there grazing is deficiant!

BeckyD

Visit site
Oh hun I was waiting to see how you got on!! If I had of been on start I would have let you go!! You will get there, just a thought when I started pops x-c I sat a very experienced person on her back and she had legs like steel so she never got the idea of napping, and has always been really forward thinking x-c, could you put a pro rider on him just for a couple of goes just to ensure he knows what he is expected to do then you can take it from there!

Work on the hacking too, do you feed magnesium at all, pops lives on magnidude, but some horses can need up to 35mg per day dependent on if there grazing is deficiant!

Funnily enough after I fell off I was pretty much resolved to put someone else on him for a few runs. Whatever I'm doing, I'm doing it wrong. I've got Bury Farm ODE in 2 weeks, which I think I should still do as that will be the acid test - we did that as our first XC last year and he sailed round, bar one stop at the double of white houses and TBH I'll let him off that as it was a bright sunny day and they were dazzling me on the approach. If I can't get him round that this time then I know I've got a big problem and I'll put a pro on him for a while, and stick to dressage myself.

I started him on a magnesium calmer a week ago but I haven't noticed any difference - in fact I've not known him ever be so silly in a warmup, or so incredibly spooky XC, as he was on Sunday. Baydale suggested Blue Chip Karma so I'll go and get some of that tomorrow and will give him some for our dressage on Sunday, to see if that helps any.

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
The trouble is the grass is very rich pops jumped at nothing I could see on her walk this am luckly she never pulls or leaves me, but she did a spectaular spook considering I was walking in front of her, can you up his work load, or maybe lunge him before x-c. Pops refused to eat Blue chip Karma (for a piggy horse she is bloody fussy)!!!

The trouble will Bill is you have brake issues too, so you dont want him vanishing into the distance, by too much encouragement, horses they are sent to try us!

Leg_end

Visit site
Oh what a shame :( Try not to get too disheartened.. horses are sent to try us sometimes :rolleyes:

BeckyD

Visit site
The trouble is the grass is very rich pops jumped at nothing I could see on her walk this am luckly she never pulls or leaves me, but she did a spectaular spook considering I was walking in front of her, can you up his work load, or maybe lunge him before x-c. Pops refused to eat Blue chip Karma (for a piggy horse she is bloody fussy)!!!

The trouble will Bill is you have brake issues too, so you dont want him vanishing into the distance, by too much encouragement, horses they are sent to try us!

I think we've solved the brakes problems more or less :D If I don't try to slow him down then he doesn't bolt away from me. We seem to have arrived at a bit of a truce, whereby I let him go faster than I'm happy with, but keep my leg on, and he drops his head and does what he should. As soon as his head comes up I know I've taken too much contact. I have to have just enough but not too much. Doug was brilliant at instilling this into me a couple of weeks ago :D

He's worked plenty (5-6 days a week plus 3 days on the walker), and he's muzzled now :p

Bummer. Bill refuses to eat just about anything!!!! I sense that karma won't be to his taste...

Hope Pops is doing well!

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
It tastes of Vanilla and is quite strong but if you can suringe it in you may be ok? Thanks she seems ok, but only have till next friday till get a verdict Im trying not to think about it too much!!! Hoping next year I can be out and about having fun again!!

BeckyD

Visit site
Oh what a shame :( Try not to get too disheartened.. horses are sent to try us sometimes :rolleyes:

Very true! Although I'm sure they're also sent to show us our own deficiencies, so I suspect that I just don't like what the mirror is telling me :(

Don't worry I can never be too disheartened with Bill, he's too loveable for that. He's got a great puppy-dog expression that melts away any annoyance :rolleyes:

BeckyD

Visit site
It tastes of Vanilla and is quite strong but if you can suringe it in you may be ok? Thanks she seems ok, but only have till next friday till get a verdict Im trying not to think about it too much!!! Hoping next year I can be out and about having fun again!!

Syringe = near death experience. I'll stick to trying it in his feed first.

Will keep absolutely everything crossed for you and her next Friday. Let me know xx

Emma S

Visit site
I'd be pleased with your Carlton run! that wasn't the nicest course and caused a bit of chaos from what I saw, so well done :)

Such a shame about Keysoe, would definitely put a lot of it down to waiting around. Doesn't do any horse a favour being stood around let alone one that is quite anxious :(

I tried my mare on Rescue remedy at Keysoe, I'm not sure if it worked but she seemed more focused and we weren't eliminated!! :)

I put about 6-8 drops in a bottle of water, shook it up then syringed about 200ml (to allow for her spitting some out :)) in to her mouth. did it about an hour before each phase, might be worth a go :)

Emma S

Visit site
Syringe = near death experience. I'll stick to trying it in his feed first.

Will keep absolutely everything crossed for you and her next Friday. Let me know xx

Just seen this... maybe don't syringe it in :eek:! but you can add rescue remedy to their drinking water the night before to have the same effect :)

BeckyD

Visit site
Just seen this... maybe don't syringe it in :eek:! but you can add rescue remedy to their drinking water the night before to have the same effect :)

Oo thank you. Gosh I'm silly I used to give that to my previous horse for every outing but it hadn't really occurred to me to give it to Bill. Great plan! I used to just put it on my hand and let my old horse lick it off. Bill would probably think this an obvious way of poisoning him, so perhaps a sugar lump may be necessary. Thank you :D

And thank you re Carlton - I really was absolutely over the moon!! When he's good, he's great :p

I think you did awfully well at Keysoe - it was carnage judging by the results! I did think the 90cm course was lovely though - gutted I didn't get to enjoy it. I was a bit :eek: at some of the fences dimensions though - especially in the 70 and 80cm. One of my friends was going to do the 80cm on her pony as her first ever solo XC attempt, but they wouldn't accept her entry as they were over-subscribed. I think that was a lucky escape, as some of those 80 fences looked like they should have been in the 90cm...

TigerWoo

Visit site
Try not to get disheartened, it'll all come together with time! :)

I have heard this so many times with the Keysoe unaff ODEs over the last couple of years, they really need to make it clear that the running order and times you are given for xc don't mean anything and that you have to declare to start. I learnt my lesson the hard way last year and sat on pone for best part of an hour before getting to the start! The organisers can't help it if people take forever to get round and hold up the day, but would make for more amenable competitors if they made people aware of the xc start procedure...

Better luck next time :)

Jane_Lou

Visit site

I have heard this so many times with the Keysoe unaff ODEs over the last couple of years, they really need to make it clear that the running order and times you are given for xc don't mean anything and that you have to declare to start. I learnt my lesson the hard way last year and sat on pone for best part of an hour before getting to the start! The organisers can't help it if people take forever to get round and hold up the day, but would make for more amenable competitors if they made people aware of the xc start procedure...

This also happened to a friend a couple of years back, they checked and were told that there was a delay of 30 mins so took thier horse back to the trailer as it was a very hot day and he burnt really easily. Came back to start warming up to discover that far from being 2nd to go there were now about 40 in front of them. By the time the started he was totally switched off and stopped at the first fence, totally out of character for him so I would not worry too much about it.

Don't feel too down about it, take the positives from the lesson and Carlton and aim forward :)

As an aside, I recently put our new mare on Brewers yeast, more for the digestive benefits than anything, if we got a calming benefit, well that would be a bonus. We had been using Oxyshot at comps as she was a bit of a nightmare to tack/stud up and get on. She has been on Brewers Yeast for a month now and Monday at Little Downham she was so laid back she was horizontal - without the Oxyshot (she spat is out and I didn't have any more!) I am now having to review her diet as she is so laid back its untrue! Might be worth a trial as its cheap as chips!!

BeckyD

Visit site

Thank you! Had I known about the lack of keeping to drawn times I would have been perfectly happy and would have cut my cloth accordingly. Everywhere else I've competed has pretty much run exactly to time (give or take 10 mins) so I haven't had this situation before and I dealt with it in 100% the wrong way. Lesson learned!

BeckyD

Visit site
This also happened to a friend a couple of years back, they checked and were told that there was a delay of 30 mins so took thier horse back to the trailer as it was a very hot day and he burnt really easily. Came back to start warming up to discover that far from being 2nd to go there were now about 40 in front of them. By the time the started he was totally switched off and stopped at the first fence, totally out of character for him so I would not worry too much about it.

Don't feel too down about it, take the positives from the lesson and Carlton and aim forward :)

As an aside, I recently put our new mare on Brewers yeast, more for the digestive benefits than anything, if we got a calming benefit, well that would be a bonus. We had been using Oxyshot at comps as she was a bit of a nightmare to tack/stud up and get on. She has been on Brewers Yeast for a month now and Monday at Little Downham she was so laid back she was horizontal - without the Oxyshot (she spat is out and I didn't have any more!) I am now having to review her diet as she is so laid back its untrue! Might be worth a trial as its cheap as chips!!

Perhaps the wait didn't help then. I don't want to be clutching at straws thinking that perhaps the problems were all caused by that wait when in fact I'm totally inept/he doesn't want to do it.

Will try a calmer - put my old horse on Brewers Yeast and it made no difference but am willing to give it a shot with Bill. When he's good he's amazing so I'm wiling to try just about anything in an attempt to get "amazing" more frequently and "nervous wreck" less frequently. :rolleyes:

Firewell

Visit site
I'm sure it was the waiting around, he sounds like he just switched off? Sounds like he might be the sort of horse where you need to be sure when you are going before you warm up so you can plan warm up accordingly?

Maybe walk up to the XC first next time, speak to steward, put number down or double check your time with them and that you will be going at that time. Then get on him 20 mins before, quick blast round the warmup, watch the horse before leave, straight into box and go?
You could get someone else to ride him and see what happens, but sometimes I don't know if that makes things better or worse when it's you he has to do it for?! Sometimes I think getting someone to help you get him over it can help better. Depends.

He might just be a bit slow maturing mentally as well? He's still fairly young?! Maybe one day it will all click into place! He sounds a bit backwards thinking... what about hunting next winter?

BeckyD

Visit site
I'm sure it was the waiting around, he sounds like he just switched off? Sounds like he might be the sort of horse where you need to be sure when you are going before you warm up so you can plan warm up accordingly?

Maybe walk up to the XC first next time, speak to steward, put number down or double check your time with them and that you will be going at that time. Then get on him 20 mins before, quick blast round the warmup, watch the horse before leave, straight into box and go?
You could get someone else to ride him and see what happens, but sometimes I don't know if that makes things better or worse when it's you he has to do it for?! Sometimes I think getting someone to help you get him over it can help better. Depends.

He might just be a bit slow maturing mentally as well? He's still fairly young?! Maybe one day it will all click into place! He sounds a bit backwards thinking... what about hunting next winter?

Eeek the thought of hunting fills me with nerves - and I'm not a nervous person at all! He had been well hunted when I bought him, and was apparently best at the front and was ultra-bold (hard to imagine eh :rolleyes:).

Yes he's still only 7 and is very mentally backwards for his age. He's grown up a lot since I got him, but perhaps he's still a long way off being "mature". I keep hoping that one day it'll all click. Before he's 20yo!

I think you're right regarding the warm-up routine - the only other time I had a bit of a wait, at ALW Sept 90cm ODE last year, he was sticky over the first 3 fences and was trying to nap back where we came from. And that was only a 10-minute wait, not 2 hours. I normally try to get cracking and get him thinking forwards, whereas on Monday I don't think we even once trotted or cantered in the first 90 minutes as I was trying to save his energy. Excepting the minor squeals and bucks and shooting sideways, of course.

Thank you everyone for helping me get some perspective and clarity. I've had 2 sleepless nights since Keysoe and I hope I can now put this behind us and move on. I'll go XC schooling once before Bury Farm ODE in 10 days' time just to restore confidence and get us thinking forwards and positive again. He's such a smashing horse and I'm so lucky to have him and I love him to death even when I'm falling off him, there are just these times where I lose my way a bit :(