A rational approach to loading problems

Dry Rot

Visit site
Is it possible to have a reasoned discussion about loading problems without the usual emotional outbursts and point scoring?

I have bought in several ponies over the years with serious loading issues. All were cured eventually. One took three of us 2.5 hours to load, mostly by lifting her into the trailer. At one point, one helper observed, "The b**** has gone to sleep!". She had! We'd got her half way in and her eyes were almost closed and she was leaning back on us! I can't help thinking that's what a lot of horses do, they comply to a certain point, then switch off and say "won't". After that, nothing is going to work.

There are the usual methods. Blue alkathene. Yard broom. Bucket of water. Forcing head collars. Tapping with lunge whip. Etc. I've seen them all and when they don't work I'm convinced the horse simply associates the bad experience with the trailer. I had one mare that would stop 25 yards from the trailer and refuse to move closer. Yes, she was eventually taught to load perfectly. I saw another horse beaten onto a lorry. (Livestock haulier on a schedule). I was so disgusted I could not watch. A couple of days later that horse was dead. Maybe the death had nothing to do with her treatment at loading, but I'm convinced it did.

Any thoughts? Is there a way to convince the horse that loading and being in the trailer is a good idea, without risking negative associations and making matters worse?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
OP I think there is obviously a big difference between teaching a horse to load from scratch and a good starting place to trying to disassociate bad methods that have been used by others on a horse.

I have recently bought a strapping 2 yr old who is not well travelled at all and my husband loaded him in 10 minutes. He was patient and confident (hubby that is) and the youngster trusted him and loaded. We gave him a slow comfortable 2 hr ride home and we have travelled him twice since with no problems. I too have witnessed some dreadful loading methods and I think people fail to consider the damage they are doing for the future, even if they suceed on this one occasion.

My 17hh WB became difficult to load, despite always being a good traveller - this followed many painful vet vists and hospital stays. A friend just used patience and by backing him up then bringing him forward and repeating until he loaded. This great method worked wonders with him and now anytime he fears anything (he shows this by striking out in front) I simply back him up and he calms down and is reassured.

imo the most important thing is to have patience and no time limit and consider small steps as positive.

Last edited:

ImmyS

Visit site
With bad loaders, we've always if possible put the trailer in their field,totally open no partitions, put a bit of hay in there so they can wonder in if they would like, but I think more the presence of the trailer is the important factor as it just becomes a normal part of the horses day rather than just getting the trailer out on 'special occasions'.

After a week or so with the trailer in the paddock, we then put it in the school, soft surface nothing to be hurt on. Again have the trailer fully open. I will then clip a lunge rope on, lead the horse to the trailer if the horse then refuses, I just stand in the trailer... And wait, tweak the lunge line every now and again to encourage the horse forward, if they refuse, I carry on waiting. I have always found that eventually the horse will walk in, and because it was through their own choice I never had a problem again and they would load instantly.

Guaranteed it can take a while but it's stress, pain and force free!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I like those methods!

I have a couple of times had to resort to force. The first was with a young horse (2yo Anglo-Arab colt) that would just stop and refuse to move. At the time, I lived in the back of beyond with no advice and had to work things out for myself. Finally, it came down to a trial of strength that I am not going to describe here! But I could lead that horse anywhere afterwards with a piece of string.

For my bad loaders (and at one time I had three at once, all bought in), I put the trailer in a gateway between two paddocks. The first paddock was bare, the second was strip grazed with fresh grass. Every night, I'd put the ponies in the bare paddock and every morning I'd drive them through the trailer, up the rear ramp and out down the front ramp, to a new strip of fresh grass. At first, they'd gallop through! But after a week, they'd saunter through and pull at the hay net in the trailer.

I also feed my youngsters in the trailer. They also get walked over tarps, under fluttery plastic, through gateways festooned with balloons and plastic bags! The trailer is a nice place to be. It seems illogical to me to use "persuaders" unless they have to be loaded quickly in an emergency and, in my opinion, that shouldn't really happen. I've heard so many methods described that must surely convince the horse that the last place they want to be is inside that trailer! I suppose my grumble is that so many apply a formula without thinking out what is going on inside the animal's head!

Goldenstar

Visit site
just don't tolerate horses that don't do or go where You want at all times in all circumstances then you never have an issue that's the rational approach to loading issues.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
just don't tolerate horses that don't do or go where You want at all times in all circumstances then you never have an issue that's the rational approach to loading issues.

Goldenstar you make that sound so simple :D I know friends who need to use a chifney to lead their horses to and from the field. I don't agree with that, but if they are unable to teach the horse consistent manners what is to be done to stay safe?

Sarah1

Visit site
but if they are unable to teach the horse consistent manners what is to be done to stay safe?

Get a professional in? Or find a different hobby?! ;)

I agree with your reply to Goldenstar - it's not a case of saying just don't accept it but I think something as simple & necessary as leading to & from the field is totally different :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Goldenstar you make that sound so simple :D I know friends who need to use a chifney to lead their horses to and from the field. I don't agree with that, but if they are unable to teach the horse consistent manners what is to be done to stay safe?

I would use the chifney if that worked what was trying to say is if from day one they never doing do or go where you want you never have any issues but I do whatever it takes to get a horse to comply I simply never accept the horse taking desisions I am leader that it no negotiation .
As a rider however I do allow degree of licence so they can enjoy their work with me within the confines of you go where you are told and stop when you are told but on the ground never ever.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Get a professional in? Or find a different hobby?! ;)

I agree with your reply to Goldenstar - it's not a case of saying just don't accept it but I think something as simple & necessary as leading to & from the field is totally different :)

I agree. I was gobsmacked that anyone would need to use a chifney for extended use like this. I do sympathise though if someone owns a massive horse, you need to be in total control. I am sure a professional as with anything would teach you how to control the most obstinate horse.
A friend of a friend had an Ardennes that just towed her everywhere on the ground, because it could :eek:

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
My 17h KWPN tried to be tricky to load,and when he decides he is not going to budge pressure just makes him immoveable. A racehorse trainer arrived at the yard and suggested sticking a hosepipe up his bum and turning on the tap...I politely declined his offer to help.
I was using a bucket of feed to tempt him,you can picture it I am sure,legs glued to the ground and neck extending to about 10 meters to try to reach the food! My brilliant OH decided to stop or send the horse back every time he moved towards the food. NOT being allowed to get at the food in the trailer was more than the horse could stand. After 5 minutes of NOT being allowed he loaded willingly and has done ever since.
This method might not work with every horse,but I would use it again for one that is uncertain.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I would use the chifney if that worked what was trying to say is if from day one they never doing do or go where you want you never have any issues but I do whatever it takes to get a horse to comply I simply never accept the horse taking desisions I am leader that it no negotiation .
As a rider however I do allow degree of licence so they can enjoy their work with me within the confines of you go where you are told and stop when you are told but on the ground never ever.

I agree. If you are not the leader in day to day groundwork then to try and load a horse is a big no no.

My WB was extremely aggressive when I got him (he was in chronic pain) and he dominated me with his teeth and his hind and front legs. I learnt some great techniques from a friend and now I feel in total control - he is no longer aggressive, but he's huge at 17hh. The methods of keeping him listening and focussed and the handler in control are essential and brilliant.

Toffee44

Visit site
Challenging and every now and again decides loading is scary/ not wanted normally cracked her in 20min, her get out clause is a rear but she's learning that it don't scare me. Best thing I taught her was leg yield in hand makes her think abit on the ground and now she realises being a prat won't get any where. One day she might turn normal, I also always treat when going in just a polo or something small.

Sarah1

Visit site
I agree. I was gobsmacked that anyone would need to use a chifney for extended use like this. I do sympathise though if someone owns a massive horse, you need to be in total control. I am sure a professional as with anything would teach you how to control the most obstinate horse.
A friend of a friend had an Ardennes that just towed her everywhere on the ground, because it could :eek:

:eek::eek::eek: That would make a lot of dog food... ;)

My horse is 17hh ID x WB so not only tall but just a big lad in general - I can lead him on a piece of cotton and wouldn't accept anything less - the new little Shetland is far bolshier (she's going to have to learn fast as I may put up with some things but bad manners is not one of those things!). Granted, he has a lovely easy temperament so I'm sure my job has been easier than some ;):)

As for the loading issue it is hard - I said on another thread about a very petite lady who loaded a particulary stubborn horse in a very fair & calm manner - she baboozeled it basically!!!!!! We've only had one really horrendous loader - a 13.2hh section C gelding who was towing 6ft tall grown men about for fun rather than go onto the lorry - my niece's patience ran out at this point, she grabbed hold of it & just marched it onto the lorry - we were totally gobsmacked but she obviously was giving off a very determined don't-mess-with-me vibe and the pony must've just thought 'uh-oh, better not push my luck'!:eek::D

YasandCrystal

Visit site
:eek::eek::eek: That would make a lot of dog food... ;)

Or cheval steaks?!! :D:D

I do think you get some very obstinate horses that would be a challenge to drill some manners into. I can't say I would deliberately buy one of those.

My youngster needs some manners teaching, he is uber friendly and invades my personal space. I don't want to appear too nasty to him, but I also want him to show some respect, which I am achieving with pointy elbows and sharp thumbs at the moment :) He loads ok though.

McNally

Visit site
Ive not read all the replies sorry but just to say its calmness and not rushing things in my opinion!
When i was at a livery yard my horse was hideous to load and everyone tried to join in with various different methods. cue very stressed me and a horse who was terrified and very suspicious of anything on wheels!
When i left to my own field and had no audience and no need to get him on the trailer we were i guess more chilled and calm and on he went- he did refuse at first so i just sat on the ramp and gave him a carrot! We tried again a few days later and again until he went in withour force or panic. Since then he has loaded fairly easily- maybe not first time but certainly with out much hassle ever since and travels well now- he used to sweat and shake previously.
Id never leave loading until your going somewhere- try it out when you have spare time and nothing planned.

Luci07

Visit site
But you need to really think why the horse is being tricky and then measure your approach accordingly. Mine took 3 people, 2 lungelines and about 20 minutes when first coming to me as was green and had not travelled in 2 years. Each time he has taken less time to load and now he loads as soon as soon as the lunge line is produced. He is bribed as is greedy and treats work with him. In his case it is obvious he is not sure and just needs a bit of patience to ensure he realises it is ok. He didn't travel particularly well either the first time but again has got better and more confident each time. Friend on the other hand had a mare who might just decide no thank you from time to time so owner would simply put aside her "arguing" time in case th made decided to be a true baggage. never did it coming home of course!

And I would not knock someone who uses a chifney to lead either with some horses,yes most will learn but have seen enough to know that there are some who will always try their luck!

Sarah1

Visit site
And I would not knock someone who uses a chifney to lead either with some horses,yes most will learn but have seen enough to know that there are some who will always try their luck!

And these are the horses who would benefit from professional help IMO, as per my reply to YasandCrystal :)