A sad goodbye but a life well lived.

palo1

Visit site
I had to say goodbye to my very dear old fellhound bitch yesterday. :( She was 14 and a half and had been with us since just before she was two. On Monday she was in great form - insisting on coming for a fair walk with us and eating her tea with relish. She had continued to play wildly and woof madly at the postman up until very recently but yesterday morning it was clear that all really was not well. I was with her all day and hoped that she might perk up but when she didn't want to eat (not anything - her usual fud, scrambled eggs, ham etc) and I could see her back legs really failing I knew that we had come to the end. She had lost a great deal of muscle tone in the last few weeks. Thankfully she was very relaxed and comfortable until my two children who can't remember a life before her had come home from school and agreed that we needed to help her. I had already had the conversation with the vet but under the circumstances I really wanted my two children to have chance to say goodbye and that was certainly the right thing to do and right for Bess too who looked for them until the very end. It was very peaceful, just at home thankfully and we have buried her in the field next to our old pony and one of the pet sheep. So, so sad for me as dear Bess came to us when my children were tiny and she was my great friend at that time.

She was a wicked, wilful girl who never did a really naughty thing (other than the usual houndy stealing) but always went her own sweet way through life. She was a wonderfully gentle dog but never exactly like a domestic dog bless her - house rules seemed very much optional to her!! Her absolute favourite things were lying in front of the woodburner - she would whine at my husband to put more logs on if she felt it necessary and to rummage in bins. She hated car journeys and crowded places but was a fabulous and kindly role model to Red IT. He was with us all day yesterday of course so I hope he understands where and why dear Bess has gone. It is hard to think of it just being him here now. I am at that horrid tearful stage where yesterday I could be calm and resolute. We have all wept buckets of sadness for ourselves but not for Bess who was clearly ready to say goodbye. End of an era for us a family too but I am so glad I had the privelage of sharing the life of a dog who lived it on her own terms. I do have pictures of my beautiful girl but haven't quite got the heart to find them, compress them and share them.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s just a horrible experience when they go .
She sounds like a pretty epic lady .
I have a very old lab I thought it was it ten days ago now shes back to having a little bounce about .
I shall look out for the pictures when you feel you can post them .
In the not too distant future you will suddenly know it’s time for another .

Equi

Visit site
I’m so sorry for your loss. It is always the most heartbreaking thing esp when they are an “era” dog. Sleep well Bess, good girl.

Chiffy

Visit site
So sorry for your loss but such a lovely post about your girl. In time you will enjoy the pictures and perhaps share with us. Well done for doing the right thing at the right time and putting her first. It’s our last kindness to them ❤️?

Baywonder

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this. This is the worst part about owning a pet - the sheer heartbreak when we lose them.

Please be kind to yourself - and it would be lovely to see some photos if you feel able to post them at some point in the future. XX

Shoei

Visit site
Having only lost my beautiful Dane a few weeks ago I know how hard it is to go, but the best gift we can give our animals is the decision not to keep them going until they have no quality of life. It is the hardest decision but by far the kindest. She sounded an amazing girl and what a nice life she must have had with you.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
'A life well lived' is the epitaph one would wish for every dog. She was so obviously well-loved . It is always such a sad time but thank goodness that you did the right thing by her right to the end. I shall look forward to seeing your photos when the time is right.

palo1

Visit site
Thank you all. I am struggling a bit today - I just can't quite believe that she really has left us and I had nightmares last night that I had left her outside. Her grave is beautiful; currently marked with a circle of stones and some autumn flowers and foliage. I have threatened the horses with dire consequences if they dig up the stones or eat her flowers - which they probably will anyway. Bess was never really 'my' dog - she belonged equally to all of us so it really feels like a family loss. I know it will get easier and I am so glad she isn't struggling in any way. Run on my lovely Bess!!

MuddyTB

Visit site
So sorry for your loss, it's awful when they have to leave us and they leave a massive hole in our hearts. Sounds like she had the very best life and as good an end as any could hope for, not suffering and surrounded by a loving family. RIP Bess x

Bellasophia

Visit site
Your post was beautifully written,I felt I knew your dog by the end.
A life well lived,a dog well loved.
i too would love to see her pics when it’s the right time for you.