A second horse. Should I?

Dumbo

Visit site
By the looks of things summer is over now and I'm dreading winter already!

Last year I had 2 horses. My TB and a warmblood on loan who has since gone home due to lameness, and I've been enjoying spending more time with my TB.
I hadn't planned on another horse until next spring but a lovely little mare has come in to the yard I work at to be sold. Surprisingly there's been no interest and the owner has offered me her on loan. She's the sort I've always wanted, has a fantastic attitude and such a sweetie.

I'm trying to figure out how I can juggle uni, work and 2 horses. I coped last year but had help of the now ex boyfriend...! The mare is only 4 so I would be bringing her on slowly over the winter with a view to getting her out and about in the spring. Meanwhile my TB is going really well and I want to continue putting time into him.

So... Do I go for it? Or am I being unrealistic?
I'm trying to think of the days when I've been out working on the yard all day in -4, I can't feel my hands or feet and I'll have 2 extra horses to exercise. But on the other hand, I think she'll be a lot of fun. Head and heart dilemma!

Visit site
Go for it! She sounds perfect, you'll kick yourself later if someone else gets her. You know the rewards will outweigh the bit of extra work. Heart over head this time. Have some fun :D

kassieg

Visit site
I work full time & had 3 last winter & it was hard work !! this winter I have vowed that when my event mare has sold I will not buy another until spring/summer time.

Its annoying as I have just today seen a nice 2 year old I would have had a look at but I know I will not have the time for 3 as my 2 youngsters will start little bits of work over winter & its just not sensible!

Do you work full time as well as uni work?

Tern

Visit site
Think about it.. it's loan. If it doesn't work you have the option there to send her back with apologies.

If you think you can do it then go for it. But you need to think of practicalities

Your TB has been going well but is this going to go backwards if you spend less time on him?
Money - can you afford it all?
Do you have the time to bring the mare on?
Do you have time to do Uni work? School comes before horses.
Can you get help off someone - A friend maybe who would muck out or feed in the morning if you bring hers in at night or something.

You can exercise two horses at once - it's called ride and lead. Works pretty well on days you're a bit short on time.

Sometimes head over heart works, sometimes it doesn't. It's your judgement at the end of the day.

Tobiano

Visit site
i am going to be totally hypocritical here and say no, don't take the mare on loan. (hypocritical because I have had too many horses in the past!) If your TB is going well and you want to put the time into him, do that. Having a 4 year old on loan may not be the best thing either, as you will probably bring her on into a nice riding horse, then have the owner sell her just when you are really enjoying her.

As a mum (boring!!!!!) I'd say don't risk your university studies either, concentrate on your TB and do everything you want to with him. :)

And feel free to totally ignore me!

spacie1977

Visit site
I'm with Tobiano I'm afraid, and think you should listen to your head not heart on this one.
University will get tougher as you get closer to your finals and whereas another lovely little horse will come up again in your searches, you won't be able to turn back the clock if you come out of uni with a rubbish degree because you've stretched yourself too much. Focus on your current horse, your studies and social life for now, and look to getting a second horse when you've finished your course and stuck in a mundane job where you'll have the money and time to cope with two.

Dumbo

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Money isn't an issue luckily, its just the time. Well, time wise I could cope with 2 now, I'm just thinking ahead to the winter when I'm out on the yard working- I'm not sure I'll have the energy to ride and muck out 2 after a long, cold day. However, that'll be 4 days a week and it'll have to come down to making use of my lunch break!
The 2 days of uni and my day off will be easy to fit them in as I can muck out before uni, then have time to ride after and hopefully still have feeling in my toes if I've been in a warm lecture hall all day! It worked last winter.
I'm going to have a chat with my boss and see what she thinks.

She's such a star, I think I'll regret it more if I don't go for it. I'll just have to wrap up warm and get on with it!