A short survey about hay prices - please please complete

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Done, but I would suggest that you get her to correct the spelling and grammar errors at the beginning of the survey :)

Also for question 9 I put strongly disagree because I make my own :)

ruscara

Visit site
Thanks everyone :)

Rowreach: Changes made, thank you :)

Spot the Risk: You are very lucky. I am paying £7.50 for a small bale and £60 for a large one!!! :mad:

Mike007

Visit site
The current readjustment (thats all it is) of the hay price hasd been long overdue. Adjusted for the RPI hay needs to be at least £6.50 per 20kg bale to equate wit the 1980,s prices. To equate with 1973 when hay hit £3.00 per pale ,think £20 .Horse owners have been living the easy life at the expense of the farmer. To maintain production and quality it needs to now stay above £200 per tonne.

Mike007

Visit site
The current readjustment (thats all it is) of the hay price hasd been long overdue. Adjusted for the RPI hay needs to be at least £6.50 per 20kg bale to equate wit the 1980,s prices. To equate with 1973 when hay hit £3.00 per pale ,think £20 .Horse owners have been living the easy life at the expense of the farmer. To maintain production and quality it needs to now stay above £200 per tonne."hell " its worth that as a heating fuel!

Fii

Visit site
Done, but would just like to say, this year has been the first year that hay has had any real increase in price, what other product has never had an increase in price over the last 20 yrs? Will stop there as it will become a essay. :D

Apercrumbie

Visit site
i paid a good price for good fodder this year..

£45-65 for a Heston bale of hay..no complaints here.

Horse owners are notorious for being tightarses when it comes to feeding fodder.

Yes we may be tightarses but I feed approximately 60kg of hay a day in the winter. This winter that has cost me nearly £10 a day, not including all the other costs of keeping horses. Mine are good doers so I'm lucky I don't have to feed more. So forgive me for being a tightarse but when you have more than one horse the costs very quickly become huge.

Puppy

Visit site
Thats why the professional farmers who made the good stuff gave up.

Yep! So true! A few years ago a good friend of mine had control of a huge percentage of production and supply in my area. He now doesn't bother as it's not worth the return - even at £5/6 per small bale he considered but decided not to go back to it. He earns more hedge cutting and lorry driving. Thankfully I have a very good supplier instead, who he put me in touch with, and I am more than happy to pay what they ask per large bale of haylage. :)

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I paid the same price as last few years ie. £2.00 and £2.25 a bale from local farmers. One delivers 200 for me and helps stack it and I fetch the rest when I need it. The other 150 + ibales are stored by farmer and I fetch as and when.

nixxyz

Visit site
i paid a good price for good fodder this year..

£45-65 for a Heston bale of hay..no complaints here.

Horse owners are notorious for being tightarses when it comes to feeding fodder.

your very very lucky to be getting that amount of hay at that price lol its about £240 a ton where i am at the min

moana

Visit site
Done. Prices have gone up a little here, but there is now masses of hay/haylage and straw left, more than usual at this time of year.