A Small Horse's first 80cm ODE

Saucisson

Visit site
Well, after being placed every time in his three 60cm ODEs (including one overall win) we felt it was high time SH went on to an 80cm ODE. Especially as he had ZERO respect for 60cm showjumping and generally treated them as he would cavaletti. He has learnt some valuable lessons on the 60cm XC though, particularly with regard to water and the fact that he’s expected to jump stuff that’s put in front of him, trust OH not to put him in dangerous situations and that XC is a lot of fun! :)

He also had a bit of a practice and his first trakhener last week at an XC course of one of OH’s mates. He has recently changed food to a more energy rich sporty food which has given him a bit of a turbo boost (but not always when you want it :rolleyes:) and we’ve changed him from a straightforward jointed snaffle to a thinner, linked Myler bit which he seems to get along really well with.

The weather was great, not hot but dry and sunny. I must also add that the new hydraulic ram on the door of the lorry….well……..ROCKS! :D

Dressage – this is usually a strong point for SH but he did two of his worst halts ever and indulged in some head tossing (a reaction to his plaits I think, which he hates :rolleyes:). However, he did receive an 8 for his extended trot so we were happy about that. He was in 12th place (out of around 25) after dressage.

Jumping – he went clear but mainly thanks to OH showing some “horsemanship” when SH decided that it would be a good idea to have a broncing fit in the middle of the course :rolleyes:

XC – He did great! He hesitated a little bit on a drop fence but went straight through the water (normally his biggest problem) and put in a good gallop at the end to finish in the time.

Overall, he came 4th which I think is a great achievement for his first 80cm (and to come up from 12th place) and with having to contend with bothersome plaits. We won a coffee table book – does anybody actually have these on their coffee table alongside the dirty mugs and random bits of paper? I have explained to SH that if he hadn’t waved his head around so much in dressage he could have had a nice new rug this winter.

Soooooooo, the plan is that he finishes the season on 80cm to keep confidence and to learn about different fences/terrain. Over the winter we’ll try to get him ahead on dressage and regular 90cm/1m showjumping in preparation for a straightforward 90cm 3DE next April, but, he’ll probably do another 80cm ODE in March to start the season off.

The poor chap is also going to have to deal with me starting my illustrious equestrian competition career in dressage and jumping this winter and it will involve plaits. :D

Thanks for reading!

Visit site
That is fantastic ! :)

It's great to see you are taking things at his pace :)

I am hoping to move my horse from Newcomers to Introductory next season (that's our equivalent to 60 and 80 cm here in Australia :))

Isn't it lovely when it all goes to plan ? Dressage is also our strong point, with xc being a blast and sj being a bit iffy. I too have moved my horse onto a new, thinner bit !

Good luck for the off season, and for next year !

ecrozier

Visit site
Wow you guys have a great range of competitions! Here it's hard to find a 90cm 3DE or a 60cm ODE at all! But extended trot in a 60cm suggests a much higher level of dressage!
Well done, a great result for his first go!

Saucisson

Visit site
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I do think that it's important to just see how he goes in each level, especially for the XC.

And yes, competition-wise it is great here (equitation generally is apparently the 3rd most popular sport here). There's competitions every weekend and the distances aren't too big as it's such a small country.

I have to admit, I have no idea about the levels in the UK (PN??) but here, you go online, look for all the comps in the country and enroll online (I was stunned when I read on here that somebody had to mail their entry by post :eek:)

But 60cm is fab isn't it? It's great for teaching young/inexperienced horses/riders (me next year!) about XC without worrying you might kill yourselves.