A sorry letter to those of you, plus piccies.

ItsJzo

Visit site
Following on from my topic about being a bit deflated...heres a sorry because
YES I did jump to conclusions with her, she isn't all that bad, lead her down the road today too her new field and things were definitely better, she behaved well considering. Cob was leading obviously..

I am aware my post was somewhat mixed and a pain in the bum because I wasn't making much sense, she is different too what was described and not just a little but quite alot, yes I should have expected her behaviours but I guess I was having an off day and just feeling a bit like whatever I did it wasn't working.

So thats an apology to everyone for my previous topic, I guess I wanted to rant because really they should have told me she has too be IN a field with another, not just next too, I have never had this problem with any horses I have ever owned, so didn't think much of it.

But in my defence, I only posted asking what the next best step was, I didn't say I wanted rid, or that she was a horrible horse, or that I didn't know what to do...I have a few ideas, I just wanted too see what peoples experiences were..
I am going to take on a stable when I next get paid however the only stable free is one that means she will be alone with no horses either side.

And well moving on ,here she is settled in her new field with my cob :)
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

And as you can see very much enjoying herself
4.jpg

If you can see this video, I do apologise in advance as you will see there is a hopping lame Andalusian, I hadn't realised he was lame or I wouldn't have encouraged them to go and play, felt horrid when I saw him trying to join in :(

Last edited:

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
I'm glad to see that your mare is happier and you are feeling more positive.

We all have off days, and I suspect you were feeling rather overwhelmed!
But you also came across as far too inexperienced and unrealistic to be taking on a known problem horse - hence some rather blunt replies.

Personally, I'd give this mare chance to get to know you in her paddock, give her a scratch, a groom, a carrot etc. Then take her out of her paddock for short spells with her buddy, then when familiar with the environment you are taking her to, take her on her own and build up the time steadily so she always knows she goes back to her buddy.
Same with taking him out of the paddock and leaving her behind, slow and steady, or she may jump fences again.

You'll get there with patience and if she goes somewhere by hand with you without another horse, then she will under saddle also be able to be retrained.

Good luck :)

pookie

Visit site
I'm not sure it's ever wise to assume any horse will be identical when there's significant change in their lives, let alone one that already has identified issues.

I totally agree with other comments on both threads suggesting you take things right back to just getting to know her somewhere she feels safe. Nothing you've recounted so far is that out of the ordinary...maybe if she'd been with you for a while, but certainly not for a horse who'd only arrived the day before. It largely doesn't matter how she was described...she had some issues already so it shouldn't be surprising that she displays others when so much is expected of her in the first 24 hours in a new place. The upside is that she's likely to be just as good on the ground for you as she was for her old owners...once she has settled and knows you.

As others have said, it's a case of slow and steady...baby steps to get her used to things. Nothing good comes from rushing these things.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Glad you're feeling more positive - your other post did sound a bit desperate! If I remember you are taking her right back to start again, which I think is the right thing. She is obviously lacking in confidence so you need to build a strong bond with her and take things slowly.

Good luck and keep us posted!

majors

Visit site
Good luck hopefully all will just get better, horses can make you feel so down, then make you smile we all understand that. Yours are good to stay in those paddock we have double height with posts with two stands of tape and they still move themselves (though Jack assures me its aliens moving him)! :D