A traumatic dressage, and a thank you to BE!

KatB

Visit site
B-B according to BE ALL their judges are BD registered. As ive said, what ive posted is not just my opinion, it has been investigated and agreed by BE who im sure are aware of their rules.

wizoz

Visit site
I can actually sympathise with you there, as the exact same thing happened to me! My old boy hated the dressage phase anyway but if he could see the x- country whilst trying to execute perfect circles, it was useless! He would mince his way around and always buck in his canter transitions. So I completed my test and the judge called me over to tell me he was lame, I assured her that he wasn't, it was just 'him', however she sent me to see the vet. I did as I was told and the vet made me trot him up on a stoney surface, he's a T/B with flat front feet, so trotted up as if he was lame. I got spun. I went home mad as hell, let Wylye out in the field where he proceeded to gallop and gallop like a horse possessed, not a bit lame :mad:

You are lucky though, at least you are getting your money back. Judge needs a slap though :p. xxx

Horsemad12

Visit site
It is a shame they were not more flexible with you, there is a big difference between tight and hopping lame. I am sure no one would have any issues if the horse was hopping lame, but this TEST was being watched by a vet and then the BE vet confirmed the horse was OK.

I am really glad you got your money back,

KatB

Visit site
wizoz, what a pain! at least you were sent to see a vet though, which is what id expect! just a shame about the trot up facilities!

Horsemad, exactly this. Pulling horses up is fine, id rather this than have lame horses, and BE have put a procedure in place so this can be done without stopping horses who are ultimately sound completing.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think it sounds like you were very unlucky and in the circumstances would have done the same. Having had a tense choppy striding horse in dressage I can appreciate the pain. One of my thoughts is whether we are now used to warm bloods to such an extent that we expect something different? I have been riding a 4yo who is Irish and have to be very careful not to push her out of her stride as I am used to a bigger moving horse. Anyway that is a musing before I get jumped on!

KatB

Visit site
LEC, I think you could be right. Im not going to go into anymore observations about this case as don't want to be jumped on, but I think it must be difficult to look past natural movement sometimes!

Booboos

Visit site
Very unfortunate situation! If it was just a case of the judge making a decision on the day I would say that you just have to go with what they think they have seen there and then, but with an event vet present it's weird that the judge didn't ask for his/her opinion. Hoping lame is quite extreme and should show up on the video - another vote for having a nosey at the video please! :)

B-B

Visit site
Anyone can register with BD.

Becoming a listed judge is something else.

BE do not have to use listed judges for 80s and 90s.

KatB

Visit site
Ooh I love the point scoring culture in here! B-B, i'm not sure what the relevance is anyway, but any complaint with BE in regards to judging also goes through BD, which would suggest they use BD judges. I know what the rulebook says about quals of judges, but doesnt mean BE don't use listed judges at lower levels.

Sorry about grammar, am replying on my phone!

Saratoga

Visit site
I think if you have ridden at a certain level BD then you can judge BE 80s and 90s without being a judge, from what I can remember..

Sounds like a very unfortunate situation for you!! But well done BE for sorting it out :)

B-B

Visit site
Sorry if its not clear but if you are judged by an unlisted judge then they wont been under the jurisdiction of BD.

Means they may not been trainees and basically someone who has ridden to medium level and has agreed to judge. Doesn't mean they are not good at it but they wont been trained so what you get is what you get...

You pay the same so maybe something to raise with BE?

wizoz

Visit site
Wizoz would you really want to slap someone who is putting your horses welfare first?

Yes, especially when she didn't know my horse and I knew there was nothing wrong with him.

Now go away and get whatever is on your chest get it off somewhere else.:mad:

You are one of the many people on here now, who have put me off posting anymore. It used to be such a supportive place this forum, but now it seems that no matter what someone posts, there is always somebody else with a massive chip on their shoulder, ready to shoot you down.:(

kerilli

Visit site
not wanting to pour petrol on the embers at all, god forbid, but IF she was that tight in the back (and hindend?) - and i'm sure the judge did not WANT to eliminate you, she must have seen something fairly major to do what she did, no? -- does she still jump okay, or does the tightness affect her there too?

Lolo

Visit site
Been spun at a local ODE as my horse was doing his best ministry of silly trots thing. Before I went in, I let her know that he'd been very wound up in the warm up by the XC running past and so I might have to call the whole thing off if I felt he was unsafe to canter. Throughout the test I managed to contain his endless excitement but because I was holding him in order to stop him from bogging off, his already small movement behind (he was straight and consistent, but he didn't track up) became a mincey trot. We got pulled up afterwards and I explained his age and the circumstances and the judge said she'd made a note of it but watched me trot him on a loose rein and agreed he was just being a twit in the arena but to be careful.

Trotted him up on a circle and on a straight line before the SJ and agreed he'd been off his head with dressage-excitement and was fine now. SJ'd clear and he felt on fine form.

The PC DC (not our branch!) came storming up to us and told us off for hammering a lame horse round and she wanted us to withdraw. My mum asked if she knew the horse or had just watched our round and what exactly was concerning her? She'd read the note on the dressage test (which says "Lovely little horse who's very tense through the back today and not really moving from behind- looks a little lame") and had decided it meant he was hopping and we were pony-beaters. I was only 14 at the time and her tirade reduced me to floods of tears. We never ran him when he wasn't 100%, I retired mid-way through many dressage tests and he knew the vets personally. The implication we didn't care about him upset me beyond belief.

Hopefully, you next test will be a nicer experience. We found with Cheeky that if he was being very tense just riding the test on a loose rein (and praying, hard) meant that he would relax and stave off 'he's lame' calls. We also got higher marks doing that becaue there was no tension.

KatB

Visit site
kerilli, most of it is tension which I know you had to deal with with Katy...however because she is obedient it doesnt always come across as her being "that" tight. No, it doesnt effect her jumping, and she was beautifully soft at home.

As ive said repeatedly, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SUSPECTED LAMENESS'S BEING PULLED UP, but have with being incorrectly eliminated without prior investigation!

kerilli

Visit site
kerilli, most of it is tension which I know you had to deal with with Katy...however because she is obedient it doesnt always come across as her being "that" tight. No, it doesnt effect her jumping, and she was beautifully soft at home.

As ive said repeatedly, I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH SUSPECTED LAMENESS'S BEING PULLED UP, but have with being incorrectly eliminated without prior investigation!

Oh yes, Katy's been so tense that all 4 legs have gone like pokers, most disconcerting. The particularly hysterical test at Burgie was a case in point, and there's nothing much you can do once they get like that and you're in the test, you just need a big RELAX button...
it sounds as if this judge just didn't know the rules. shouldn't have happened, hopefully won't again as BE are usually very good about giving a general heads-up about this sort of misunderstanding. great if you get a refund.

btw, had a great one on an ERA feedback recently - a very officious XC official totally REFUSING to let a competitor walk their line at a fence, despite the fact that the fence was nowhere near where horses were running (on a totally different course). the official absolutely would not permit it, or listen to the 'but i need to walk my line' explanation. :O :O
all we can all do is get word out and increase understanding i guess...

B-B

Visit site
Wizoz what a lovely person you are.

Please stay and share some of your wonderful anecdotes.

Your warm and friendly posts full of encouragement and not to mention in depth knowledge, would be great missed.

wizoz

Visit site

Your warm and friendly posts full of encouragement and not to mention in depth knowledge, would be great missed.

Pot, kettle, black.

You've been on here, what, 5 minutes? Do you know the people or horses you are talking about? I do.

And any of those members who know me, will know that your comment above about being warm, friendly etc, IS actually the case. I just can't be arsed with people like you.:rolleyes:

Lolo

Visit site

Just going to sat that in my experience wizoz has been a really helpful and lovely poster on this forum. I posted about my sister's horse and she took the time to write me a massive PM full of helpful advice and kind words, which provided a nice boost for Al and also gave some more clarity to the whole SJ issue they were having. 6 months later and they're posting SJ rounds which are clear/ 4 faults (ignoring the Burnham round, where it was felt that 16 was fair considering last time it had been 54!).

supagran

Visit site
A couple of years ago my daughter was doing a Nov BE and after she did her dressage test the TD followed us back to our box and said the dressage tack steward thought our horse was very lame. He had watched the test and agreed the horse was very tense, which was actually a kind way way of saying an unexploded bomb! He got the vet to come and the horse was lunged on the end of a lead rope because we didn't have aunge rein with us and on the rock solid lorry park and he said horse may be slightly lame but we couldn't continue. Picked up dressage sheet before driving two and half hours home, and dressage judge made no comment whatsoever! We were very cross indeed, horse was not lame, got checked by our own vet. This was l because of a tack steward!