A very clever trick!

noblesteed

Visit site
My cheeky horse is now fully trained, by me, to pee when he sees his skip bucket. I put it in his stable, wait for a minute or so til he positions himself, then put the bucket in place and hey presto! One steaming bucket!! He then proudly waits for a pat and lots of praise.
This morning, imagine my surprise to find his empty feed bucket carefully filled with pee! Bless him he had used the bucket all by himself! Of course I patted and praised him enthusiastically. What a good boy!

I am now considering clicker training him to do tricks - it would keep his mind occupied in the winter when I can't ride every day. Does anyone know any tricks I could teach him in the stable or on the yard?

StarFell

Visit site
Haha what a clever boy! I taught my pony to "smile" for food :) I kept holding food in front of him in a closed fist and every time he moved his top lip I gave him it, and he quickly learned that if he lifts his top lip he gets the food :)

noblesteed

Visit site
Hmmm not sure about pooing in a bucket, his poos are rather large so the bucket would probably overflow by morning... I would save a fortune on bedding tho.

I think I might get a book on clicker training tho. It may help with his manners too!!!

pricklyflower

Visit site
Just a word of warning, my friend did this with her horse and had to take a bucket with her everywhere (even to events) as hers wouldn't pee unless he had a bucket. She found it quite annoying in the end especially when out on long hacks / rides or somewhere where she couldn't take a bucket.