A very mixed Eden Valley BE Report!

Javabb94

Visit site
Today was Abbie's very first BE or ODE for that matter!
She has just turned 5 and we were in the BE80
She lives at the venue which I have now realised to be a major disadvantage!!

A normally empty xc course was full of wagons/horses/loudspeakers and bless her I think she was rather shell shocked!

She has been in all week as yards fields were being fertilised so not the best prep - and as she lives there the Arenas and field were closed from Thursday to set up so hadn't ridden since then.

She panicked in the warm up for dressage and I came off and had to be given the all clear by the doctor. BE trainer ( who again were fabulous!) suggested we lunge her to settle her so we did and she eventually seemed to settle

Got back on and she seemed more chilled however in her test got quite tense again and we cantered in places we shouldn't have!

Any way as we were late doing my test it was straight to sj where she pinged round but was a little too forward at 6 and just rolled top pole but she never batted an eyelid at anything and felt great.

Had an hour before xc and I was terrified as some of you will remember I was eliminated at the first xc jump last time on my other horse

She was fantastic in the warm up and I couldn't wait to get going. I was so worried due to last time I didn't ride positively enough at one and poor horse didn't know what was going on and stopped, came round again and she flew - she flew over 2 and 3 and I tried to set her up too much at 4 and she ran out (I am still getting to grips with her as have only had her 6 months and still working out how she liked to be ridden xc) came again and she flew it and flew over 5, bounded up the hill and launched the steeplechase! Came to the combination and we were too fast at a meaning the turn was sharper than needed (was downhill so difficult to slow up!) and she slipped slightly sending her past b. totally not her fault she was right on line until she slipped slightly. She then flew down hill over log at bottom and over the bank with the log and the a frame before the water - she took a tiny hesitation at the water (which I hadn't realised they had counted as a refusal) and so I carried on out over the log and over the flower box to be flagged up after The box. I was only 3/4 from home (all of which were left we had jumped before anyway) so wasn't too bothered!

It was a great learning curve for her and being at home was so against us - the 2 trainers were fab and really helped me so thank you!

Some pics mum/Friend took of xc. -

1032e09580fa3ca9f2de8dc0155bfdbf_zps3e39896c.jpg

ea2771d882fa7c4aeaffccb7210d40de_zpsdbf29b8d.jpg

My favourite -
919c26a84f1e69f2c1daeef672204ab4_zps722051d6.jpg

I'm not too worried by today as all circumstances were against us!

Was a lovely day and the sun shone and was nice to see some HHO'ers like soupdragon71 and ArcticFox

Next will be Hutton 80 where as its not at home should be much better

bgb

Visit site
Well done, an educational day which you can take many positives from :) onwards and upwards!

Very jealous as I hoped Eden would be my first run of season but due to numerous reasons all eventing plans have had to be cancelled until june :(

Jnhuk

Visit site
Well done! The trainers were great. Charlotte really helped me in the SJ warm-up. Your photos are great and you will love Hutton! Spooky horses are better in strange places rather then familiar ones that have changed out of recognition but sounds like the venue prep for the event certainly didn't help you. My arena was a little delayed so kept trying to hear how you were going on the XC but didn't catch any glimpse of you.

The steeplechase is fun! Think grossick 'tog was at that fence so you probably will get a brill picture in a few days. Daunting the first time but great if you horse takes it on! Bodes well for the future :) 7A & B did come quick and we ended up bowling down the hill faster than I intended!

If you hesitated going in the water, the FJ would be looking for either you to step back or prolonged disobedience to give you a refusal. It is fun FJing and you can learn a lot.

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done! The trainers were great. Charlotte really helped me in the SJ warm-up. Your photos are great and you will love Hutton! Spooky horses are better in strange places rather then familiar ones that have changed out of recognition but sounds like the venue prep for the event certainly didn't help you. My arena was a little delayed so kept trying to hear how you were going on the XC but didn't catch any glimpse of you.

The steeplechase is fun! Think grossick 'tog was at that fence so you probably will get a brill picture in a few days. Daunting the first time but great if you horse takes it on! Bodes well for the future :) 7A & B did come quick and we ended up bowling down the hill faster than I intended!

If you hesitated going in the water, the FJ would be looking for either you to step back or prolonged disobedience to give you a refusal. It is fun FJing and you can learn a lot.

I was really hoping he was at the steeplechase! Was he there the whole time? I was quite early at 10.46 she really was travelling fast up the hill and launched the chase fence - she didn't brush through it though so gave it good clearance!

That hill down is steeper than it looks! I didn't realise how tight 7ab was as it doesn't look it when you walk it

Thanks re the water jump - I think she stepped back on one foot but went straight away so that must be why!

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done, an educational day which you can take many positives from :) onwards and upwards

Very jealous as I hoped Eden would be my first run of season but due to numerous reasons all eventing plans have had to be cancelled until june :(
Thanks :) I think me and Abbie both learned a lot from today!
Oh that's a shame! Hope you get out and about soon :)

Lovely pictures! Sounds like everything was against you today, well done and good luck at Hutton
Thanks :) just unfortunate really about her being kept in etc!

Well done! I had a bit of 'nerrr' day. She looks lovely.
Thanks - oh what happened?? Did you have two running today?

dominobrown

Visit site
Yeh I had two running, but for the morning I was just by myself! I also had a stop at fence 4, as he wiggled all they way to it, chipped in a tiny stride, and put his front legs over it :rolleyes: And his dressage was interesting, starting off with 7's, finishing with a 4 as he didn't actually halt but reversed down the centre line full speed! :D

Pickle was sooo over excited, I could barely keep in the arena for dressage, went steeplechasing instead of sj as he was sooo strong, and was very naughty at the xc start. I was petrified because one of his old owners was watching, so I was winding myself up :eek:

applestroodle

Visit site
Well done and lots of good luck for Hutton. I thought it was a toughish be80 but that could be first one of the season itis ha ha! It's such a nice event and so well run!

Javabb94

Visit site
You'll both have learnt so much for it :)
Are you going to take her schooling round it tomorrow?

Yes definitely :)
No giving her a day to chill as she got quite upset yesterday! Once on xc warm up though she was fine

Love the pics! Well done - we need days like these to make all the others feel even more awesome :)

Thanks! Yes definitely hopefully hutton she will storm round :) she felt great xc just shake about the water hesitation as I wouldnve finished!

Javabb94

Visit site
lovely photos - well done :)

Yeh I had two running, but for the morning I was just by myself! I also had a stop at fence 4, as he wiggled all they way to it, chipped in a tiny stride, and put his front legs over it :rolleyes: And his dressage was interesting, starting off with 7's, finishing with a 4 as he didn't actually halt but reversed down the centre line full speed! :D

Pickle was sooo over excited, I could barely keep in the arena for dressage, went steeplechasing instead of sj as he was sooo strong, and was very naughty at the xc start. I was petrified because one of his old owners was watching, so I was winding myself up :eek:

Oh no! Sounds like my dressage test :D
Lots of positives to take away :) She really is a beautiful girly!

Thanks - she is starting to fill out a bit now and looks quite chunky on the photos :eek:

Well done and lots of good luck for Hutton. I thought it was a toughish be80 but that could be first one of the season itis ha ha! It's such a nice event and so well run!

Yes I thought it was very up to height - I measured fence 10 at 92cm and steeplechase was 96cm I think

Have to say I agree it was very well run!

I have just found pro pics - very happy with them!

Lolo

Visit site
She looks like she's really enjoying the XC, which is what you want for a baby's first big outing :D Next time she'll storm it- 2/3 were really good and the last little bit was almost there too.

Javabb94

Visit site
The steeplechase can be bigger as the brush is allowed to be 30cm higher :). Also fences are measured from take off point too. So when going downhill it can be bigger :)

30cm :eek: I thought it was 20cm! That explains it then :)

There are pro pics up now ArcticFox - Abbie's is over the steeplechase - she certainly gave it room and didn't brush it at all!

Javabb94

Visit site
Shame about the water hesitation :( lovely XC pics.

And it was lovely to meet you - nice to put faces to names :D

Yeah I know - I keep saying what if we hadn't had that, or what if she hadn't of slipped I wouldn't have missed the jump and could've carried on! Oh well - hutton will be around soon!

She looks like she's really enjoying the XC, which is what you want for a baby's first big outing :D Next time she'll storm it- 2/3 were really good and the last little bit was almost there too.

Thanks :) yes she was totally settled in warm up for xc - if she was being naughty she would have done then - and on xc she wasn't strong, she was quick yes, but totally not strong and very rideable

I will lunge her at home before hutton just to be on safe side! I'm only 15 mins away from hutton so probably best to do but as its not at home tbh I think she will be fine

DarkHorseB

Visit site
30cm :eek: I thought it was 20cm! That explains it then :)

There are pro pics up now ArcticFox - Abbie's is over the steeplechase - she certainly gave it room and didn't brush it at all!

No it is 20cm not 30cm but 96cm is still within this :) What was fence 10 on the BE80. I went schooling there tonight after work. I didn't do the 80 fences but thought it looked like it had a few questions so I think you should be very pleased with her.

Javabb94

Visit site
No it is 20cm not 30cm but 96cm is still within this :) What was fence 10 on the BE80. I went schooling there tonight after work. I didn't do the 80 fences but thought it looked like it had a few questions so I think you should be very pleased with her.

Fence 10 was the a frame before the water - there is a pic on my FB Jumping it
Yes they said it would be easier than last time but this time had the banks with log (which Abbie absolutely flew without thinking about) and the combination 7ab which was tighter than it walked - just a shame she slipped - I'm kicking myself for not taking a check but she jumped better when I left her too it, but maybe left her too much there!

Yes very pleased especially after last time - trainer said we were at such a disadvantage at home - cant with for hutton, I have been looking for a hunter trials or something in the meantime but can't find anything!

I'm rubbish at this! going off to read a rule book........

;)

Also are we allowed to link to pro pics?

Last edited:

nannubu

Visit site
Sounds like a really positive day Kirsty - well done, you must have a very genuine little horse :)
I walked the 80 course on Sat and I wondered how people's brakes would fare over 7a and b - it was tight!
There's two UA ODEs near Gosforth next month if you fancy getting her out again? 12 May is CRC's and 18 is WCPC's. Both really inviting and supportive events.

Javabb94

Visit site
Thanks Nannubu :) it was quite tight especially as I took a flyer over part A :eek:
Will look into those ODE's as would like somewhere before Hutton BE!

Javabb94

Visit site
Well done :)
sounds like a good experience for her and she'll grow up for it between now and Hutton :)

Thank you :)

Yes she is only just 5 (last week) and I think as you say she will grow up a bit
Having an xc lesson tomorrow over eden valley 90 course - might be good for her to have a go in a quiet atmosphere