A very special baby budgie

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
We have a very special baby budgie in the family.

So, my eldery nan, after losing my grandad, asked for some budgies. We purchased her a very sweet pair of budgies who she promptly named Peter and Lucy. My nan adored these budgies, they had the biggest suitable cage we could find and were spoilt rotten.
At easter last year my nan became ill and was transfered into hospital, she was diagnosed with an advance aggressive cancer and given a terminal prognosis.
While she was in hospital her treasured Peter and Lucy were passed to me to look after and come and live in my aviary with my selection of other birds.
Sadly in august my nan passed away, peaceful and ready.

I have duly cared for Peter and Lucy ever since and watched their cheeky characters blossom with the new freedom of an aviary.

peterandlucy_zpsf82208e6.jpg

A few months ago Lucy started to nest and had a clutch of eggs, much excitement spread amongst the family but sadly the eggs were infertile.
A second clutch of eggs also infertile.

So fast forward to december and I hear a little cheeping fromt he nest box, open it up and there's a CHICK!

My parents were thrilled and christened it Florence after my nan, so here's hoping it's a girl.

10 days later and the other 4 eggs start to hatch :D

So I just wanted to share a photo of the beautiful baby Florence, now 2 weeks old and she will be kept here in my aviary, in our family as a reminder of how much my nan loved her budgies.

babybudgie050115_zps8d6597d1.jpg

_GG_

Visit site
What lovely budgies and Florence is beautiful.

I'm so sorry about your nan, but what a lovely way to honour her memory by caring for her beloved birds xx

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
got a photo of the whole nest this evening.

Chick 1 (Florence, extreme left) is now 16 days old
Chick 2 (extreme right) is now 9 days old
Chick 3 (middle) is now 7 days old
Chick 4 (middle back) is now 6 days old
Chick 5 (front middle) is now 2 days old

Excuse the mucky tub is was just the first appropriatey shaped thing i put my hand on in the shed. Babies had to come out to allow me to clean the next box to prevent dropping build up.

budgiechicks070115_zps7d1b1a41.jpg

Florence was a very naughty budgie and jumped out of the tub shortly after the photo and made off across the bin lid i'd put the tub on.

Can't believe momma Lucy is doing such a good job at feeding all the different sized babies.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Budgie update

Chick 1 (Florence) is 20 days old
Chick 2 is 13 days old
Chick 3 is 11 days old
Chick 4 is 10 days old
Chick 5 is 6 days old

budgiechicks110115_zpsbd2d4034.jpg

No flash

babybudgies110115_zpsdf64917e.jpg

Florence and her younger (much more boringly coloured!) sibling

florencebudgie110115_zps081b2a72.jpg

Florence has reached the cute stage :D

Florencebudgiehead110115_zps93257e28.jpg

Can't wait to see what colours the other 4 are.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
not really had much to do with budgies but Florence looks like she is going to be gorgeous, she is already looking good even without all of her plumage....would love to see her when she is fully grown(and the other little ones)...your nan would be so pleased...and what a nice way to remember her..