A very tentative how much query?

Lacuna

Visit site
Currently in no position to own a horse – we’re looking 12-18 mths into the future when we won’t be held captive by ridiculous childcare fees and other costs (honestly you could keep 2 horses pretty comfortably on what childcare costs us per month, it costs more than the mortgage!). I’m not sure on what a potential pony would cost and hope the wise people on the forum would help a bit.

Prices might change in the future but if I was looking now, what would be a reasonable budget for a horse /pony:

Sex, either as long as sensible
Size – 13.3-15.3
Age – preferably at least 8, top age about 18-19
Ability – really Not bothered about jumping, and tend to only school if the weather is pants or short on time. MUST be bombproof in traffic though and able to hack out in company and alone. (although saying that – current and last share have been a bit nappy and spooky but I’m happy as long as they’re not liable to rear, buck or bolt)

ETA - are there any other parameters I should think about as well?

Also any ideas on good places to source such a beastie would be very welcome.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Tbh your age range is huge - an 8 year old is going to be dearer than an 18 yrs old -- could be cheap as chips for the 18 y o or up to about 4k for the young end and anywhere in between...

Lacuna

Visit site
Thanks for the comment, I've never really horse shopepd before so didn't realise it makes so much difference.

Ok- what might you think for a mid range age? Thinking 12/13yrs.

pinklilly

Visit site
Could be anything really! From free upwards, known plenty freebies that match your criteria but probably best to have a look at horsemart and see what sort of prices`the horses are that you fancy.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Your height ranges could vary in price too. You're best just having a look at the websites of horses for sale (horse and hound, horsemart, horsequest, horsedeals...) and seeing what price things you like are going for.

Shay

Visit site
You're in pretty much the most sought after height range. What you can get and for how much will really depend on where you live and what you are prepared to accept. I would have thought £6K would be an absolute top for a perfect PC / RC type in the south east where things tend to be more expensive anyway. £4K is probably a bit more realistic. But prices move hugely and will depend on location, time of year and the rest of your criteria. Capital outlay tends to be a minor part of horse owning costs though!

vieshot

Visit site
If your happy with a 13.3 then I should think you can get what you want cheap as chips! My 13.2 11yo I purchased a year or so ago, hacks alone and in company bold as brass, done a fair bit of jumping on a ticket, built like a tank so easily carries an adult £600. I would be shocked if you couldn't find what you wanted for cheaper than £1200.