A very wet but brilliant introduction to team chasing!!

suegreenaway

Visit site
Well thankyou to everyone who replied to my frantic pleas of help last week but we did it, had an absolute blast and our team came 5th out of 40 plus teams!! Unfortunately I do not have any pictures but I suspect deefa will give a much more detailed exciting report! What a pleasure it was to meet you and Goli.

I was ready to give up and go home before I'd even got there, having turned out the others at 6am in a new field which seemed a lot darker than their old field I walked into the fence twice and tripped over a
mound, I then thought I was leaving the yard at a reasonable time of 7.30 thinking "oh yea I'll be there easily by 9.30 ...." by 9.45 I was sat in a layby having a mental breakdown with the rain beating down, I was totally lost, thinking what on earth was I doing spending my day doing this and just wanted to go home!

Ok so I realised I wasn't driving all that way to turn round and go home so pulled myself together and found the place just in time for a coursewalk with some other team members. At this point I was really thinking omg these hedges are huge and I'll never get round! It didn't get better in the warm up as Hope thought it was too much to cope with so danced sideways and did the occasional plant. So to the off, it could go one of two ways, either we'd go with them or we'd just plant, luckily it was the first! Started at the back and it all happened so quickly, she was just taking it all on, we landed after 1 hedge with no reins to a sharp right hand turn to a timber fence but luckily she responded to my pleas of "please follow that one in front" then later on when 2 had a small blip at a fence my super pony said well im going, stormed up the final hill in 2nd place, and I swear the both of us were grinning from ear to ear!

We are most definitely hooked and will be doing it again, lets just hope it helps us at our last event next week at Broadway! Sorry for this getting a bit long and for the lack of pictures! What a super day, even the rain didn't ruin it!!

AliceCrail

Visit site
So pleased for you!
We are attempting our first teamchase on 3rd November, I am so excited I could burst (and at other times I feel quite sick with nerves!)
Did you do the novice? Any advice for another noobie?

j1ffy

Visit site
It certainly sounds like the round made up for the stressful start to the day!! Well done, what a great result.

suegreenaway

Visit site
Thanks guys. AliceCrail don't worry, believe me I felt terrified, my horse hadn't really jumped hedges that big but as soon as they get going you don't have much say in it !! Where are you going? I didn't find out until I was on board that the Pytchley is one of the biggest novices!! Just keep kicking on, its great, those nerves will go as soon as you start and you will both cross the line smiling!! Any questions, just ask. Have fun.

BarmyC

Visit site
Well done Sue!!! What a wet and horrible day it was.

The pytchley novice was huge compared to some of the others and for a first go to come home with a frilly is brilliant.

Glad you had a good day and I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you, I was also having a mental breakdown for most of the day and then cried my eyes out when we finished.

Hopefully see you at the Cotswolds??

suegreenaway

Visit site
How did you do BarmyC? Was a shame not to find you, am hoping to be at the cotswold but waiting to see if they can get the second novice team in!!
Alice my mare has been eventing over the summer so is reasonably fit already but you would be keeping up a fair hunting pace for 8 mins or so with maybe a decent hill at the end so I would think the fitter the better. What breed is your horse?

BarmyC

Visit site
It was a shame Sue. Both our novice teams were unplaced for going too fast, the top spec close shavers (the team I was on) had 2 horses who were open first timers and my horse and I first open too so we took it steady and completed with all 4 riders to come 7th but we did qualify for the champs. Our 2 other teams also did well in the open with a 6th and an 8th.

I cried my eyes out when we got back to the lorry. My little girl who I have had since 3 and I started myself did me so proud.

AliceCrail

Visit site
Sue, she is a 15hh three quarters TB. We are going cubbing this weekend, so hopefully give us a fair indication of fitness. She tends to run a fair bit on adrenaline to be honest!
I was speaking to Sarah who was also on your team, today in Newmarket about it. I hadn't realised you were in the same team :)

suegreenaway

Visit site
Ah BarnyC thats lovely, still a good day. Sometimes a good round can mean more to you than a rosette, sounds like your girl did you proud. Well done :)
AliceCrail its a small world!! As you have a lot of tb there she'll probably be fine and like you say adrenaline is a funny thing! Good luck.

ironhorse

Visit site
Essex and Suffolk novice is mainly on flat ground, so fitness not such a big issue AliceCrail. You will have a great time - it is a particularly fabulous event with a gorgeous course!
BarmyC is being modest , it was a brilliant round and they got the best sort of rosette - the one that Global Recycling Systems national championships qualifiers get!

BarmyC

Visit site
Thank you ironhorse. :)

Sue where in east Sussex are you? We travel to all of them from Surrey and it's not as bad a journey as you think.

The qualifier rosettes are lovely and are well worth the nerves ha ha. We didn't trouble the more established open teams but we all have to start somewhere. :)

BarmyC

Visit site
Ahh I see I was going by your avatar location thingyme.

Our journey to the Meynall was about 3.5/4 hours and it was a killer on the diesel.

Cotswolds next Sunday then?

suegreenaway

Visit site
Ah yes maybe thats still from when I lived there, then I left home!!! Hoping for cotswold, they're still trying to get the second novice team in but are hopeful, fingers crossed ... !

Antw23uk

Visit site
Oh lordy I've jus watched a few vids online for team chasing ... I am hooked. find me a 16.2 and above Team chaser in an around the berks/ Bucks area :O)