A Warning - Broken stable door guard clips :O(

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I got down the yard yesterday morning to found my girl with this horrendous tear on her nose

Cropinose.jpg

We combed the whole stable looking for something that she could of possible done it on and the ONLY thing we could find was I have a door guard that has a clip on either end. One of the clip has lost its spring but has never been a problem. We think that she must of rubbed on it, caught her nostril in it, paniced and pulled back ripped her nose, it was a good inch long :( The vet came out of course and she has 5 stitches in her nose. Luckily she doesn't seem bothered at all by it and bronked very happily along a track today :rolleyes:

My lovely hubby went to a tack shop today and bought me a new one and interestingly they no longer sell them with the same sprung clips as they have heard of several nasty accidents with broken ones. I've never heard of one before today so I thought I would pass the warning on to you guys.

The clips looks a bit like this, I'm sure you know the ones I mean

clip.jpg

Cedars

Visit site
We have them (and in fact bought some new ones about a week ago) but they always face down and in to the wall.

Hope your mare is ok! Nasty wound but sure will heal well with stitches. xxxx

Belle22

Visit site
My mare did the exact same thing not long after I bought her, 3 stitches! Not a fun thing to turn up to. Its amazing what they injure themselves on... fortunatly, my vet did a great job, it healed fantastically and theres no evidence that it ever happened. I hope your horses nose heals in the same way

Last edited:

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
My mare did the exact same thing not long after I bought her, 3 stitches! Not a fun thing to turn up to. Its amazing what they injure themselves on... fortunatly, my vet did a great job, it healed fantastically and theres no evidence that it ever happened. I hope your horses nose heals in the same way

Thank you all

I was amazed at the lack of blood, hardly anything at all which made hunting down where she did it even more difficult :rolleyes:

Laura1234

Visit site
Yep, my old mare did the same, but hers was worse, the whole nostril was flapping about, yuck - she was not bothered though and vet did a good job, it healed well, you could not tell there had been stitches or anything, but I put vitamin E oil on it (from Superdrug) twice a day to help heal the scar, once it started healing.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
Yep, my old mare did the same, but hers was worse, the whole nostril was flapping about, yuck - she was not bothered though and vet did a good job, it healed well, you could not tell there had been stitches or anything, but I put vitamin E oil on it (from Superdrug) twice a day to help heal the scar, once it started healing.

ouch :( I'm really surprised at how many of you guys have had the same 'accident'. I'd never heard of it before

ladyt25

Visit site
I am confused, what is the door guard? Does this clip onto the bolt of the stable door or is this attaching one of those bars across the stable door?

At the end of the day horses can find just about anything to injure themselves on no matter how hard we try prevent accidents. Horses will be horses eh! Glad yours is none the worse.

Half-Halt

Visit site
My old pony did this too, healed as if nothing had ever happened after it had been stitched!

My older connie had a big scar on the side of her muzzle as if this happened but it had healed very badly..think it happened on the way over from ireland when she was a baby - considering she was two and became pregnant on that trip over aswell, i doubt the wound was ever stitched up hence it looking so bad now. Massive shame, poor pony.

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
My old pony did this too, healed as if nothing had ever happened after it had been stitched!

My older connie had a big scar on the side of her muzzle as if this happened but it had healed very badly..think it happened on the way over from ireland when she was a baby - considering she was two and became pregnant on that trip over aswell, i doubt the wound was ever stitched up hence it looking so bad now. Massive shame, poor pony.

ah bless her :(