A What would you do? (sorry long)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I really feel for you as it's a horrible choice but I think in your heart you already know the answer.
There is no shame in putting a horse to sleep if the problems cannot be managed. I definitely would not try to rehome him as his future wouldn't be guaranteed unless you could loan him as a companion to a laminitic pony?? At least that way you would have a say??
Ultimately I personally feel that pts is the best option here but I don't envy you having to make that choice xx

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Injury wise, it may seem like a long time for recovery but I know from experience it's not.

I would maybe suggest keeping him over winter, easiest time of year for a fatty and do as much work as possible. So hacking with the nice friend, and can you do in hand work on the school to keep him interested? Horse agility type stuff, helps to desensitise then to stuff and keeps their brains going. Long reining, in hand work, some pole work maybe?

If by spring there's no improvement in his injury and you can't face another summer of starving him, then pts perhaps is the next option, unless you buy your own land :)

Mongoose11

Visit site
It sounds like you do want to Pts and there's no shame in that. There is a retirement option in Devon that can cater well for laminitic types if you found that you couldn't face doing the deed. Monshall would cost you about £150 a month but I have no idea if that would be a preferable option for you.

Snoozinsusan

Visit site
I recently had to make the decision for my 20yo mare. She had been rideable until summer this year but then her hocks became worse, she got injuries to both back legs probably being due to not being able to move away from trouble quickly enough. She was becoming miserable and I knew what had to be done.
The day of the decision was a terrible day but when she was actually pts a few days later I felt relief that her pain was gone.
However, the 2 'liveries from hell' were atrocious the next time I saw them. (I still have a cob at the livery yard). Shouting at me and basically saying that their horses are pets and they would never have done that. The outcome was that the yard owner was around to see their behaviour and, coincidentally, they were gone a few days later. The yard is now back to the quiet and peaceful place it was!
Every cloud has a silver lining.

GirlFriday

Visit site
You could probably get a sharer for him (light hacking is what a lot want to do) if they are confident enough to deal with him.

Otherwise retirement for him and a share for you.

I know plenty of people who own one horse and ride another. Of your family are now horsey you will probably be able to find something by qord of mouth. Or just get some lessons on one of the bigger ones and learn to cope... Elephant polo is apparently fun and there is no reason a reasonably normal sized adult shouldn't be able to ride a pretty big horse.

Olly's crew

Visit site
You could probably get a sharer for him (light hacking is what a lot want to do) if they are confident enough to deal with him.

Otherwise retirement for him and a share for you.

I know plenty of people who own one horse and ride another. Of your family are now horsey you will probably be able to find something by qord of mouth. Or just get some lessons on one of the bigger ones and learn to cope... Elephant polo is apparently fun and there is no reason a reasonably normal sized adult shouldn't be able to ride a pretty big horse.

Hahaha TN, you made me smile with the elephant polo bit, That is a bit how I feel!
A sharer is hard as adding another horse is difficult time- wise, although there are many people on the yard who have offered me a ride on their horses. I think I have probably not explained myself well enough, in the sense that I have a big time commitment with the other two and their day to day care. Hubby works shifts so is not around at consistent times and daughter is studying hard so is not always able to be there.As I work full time and we live a distance from the yard,I am finding during the week I rarely have chance to ride due to time etc, and weekends are often the only time I can ride.
I am starting to feel like I am bleating here,but it feels like a big struggle with limited pleasure at the moment (None of that is anyone's fault of course.
I took the boy for his weekly 'amble yesterday, it consisted of him spinning and almost unseating me, rushing of on occasions ( he heard a bicycle behind him; he is usually fine with these), having a paddy at the usual road markings, then trying to take off dragging me behind, as I was doing the gate as he saw a tractor (stationary behind him and again something that at other times he has coped better with). All this can happen on one hack, then he will be fine on others. There is no way of predicting this. He has thrown me about 6 times since Feb this year, once I had concussion. Earlier this year, he had a 'bucking fit' on a hack, which was witnessed by other yard members. he stood in the middle of the lane and repeatedly bucked.his was triggered by a pony in the next field coming over to the fence.This pony has taught me to sit a buck.I am what I would class a confident novice and yet spend these rides wishing I was back at the yard, they have become a trial. I have considered whether someone would take him on, but am terrified he will hurt someone. My daughter is 16 and is very competent, but does not like to ride him and does not ride him out. I would not let my husband near him.I worry someone would put a child on the 'beautiful pony'. I am unsure that someone with the ability to ride him would be happy to walk around the block with an occasional trot. It feels small pleasure for big risk to me!
I think the option of making the most of riding the other bigger horse is the one I have been trying to do as it is easier than considering PTS. It is my 'suck it up option'.
Retirement is pretty much, by default, where he is now.

GirlFriday

Visit site
To be honest I'm not sure anyone (normal, and let's face it horsey types aren't always normal) working full time and commuting would enjoy caring for any three horses.

Daughter will soon be moving on in life. What are you going to do with her horse then? If you both work full time can you sometimes afford services for OH's horse?

If you look at the bigger/longer term picture you might find that it wpuld be as well to sell daughter's and get a mother/daughter share that can stay with you when daughter goes to uni/moves for a job/whatever. Or, as I get the impression OH rarely rides/does chores (could be reading between the lines wrong here) what about simply selling his, admitting it is more your hobby than his and occasionally borrowing something else for when you hack together?

Seems to me you are supporting two other people in doing a hobby unnecessarily...

chaps89

Visit site
Some horses adapt well to light work and semi retirement. Others do not and need regular work to keep them safe and sane. Ultimately your safety is most important here. Riding is supposed to be enjoyable. If riding him is a chore and a dangerous one at that (he's had you off 6 times in a relatively short amount of time) I would be inclined to call it a day. What would happen if next time you came off you had more severe injuries? Yes riding is a risk sport but there's enough risk in it getting on a sane horse and tootling off down the roads without knowingly getting on a horse who may or not be feeling too well.
I would say the combination of him not being suited to light ridden work in both his dietary and figure needs and his mentality would mean I would call it a day I'm afraid. As you say, you can't ethically pass him on as what happens if someone does put a kiddy on him (sounds like the kind of rider he needs is going to be one who wants to do more than he can manage) and has an accident? I'm sure you'd feel awful.
It sounds like you have a busy life and this is supposed to be your 'me' time but sounds anything but.
He isn't going to know and you are doing the best thing to secure his future and eliminate the risk of him being passed around or seriously injuring someone by doing this.
I do understand the predicament though (something I am going through with a 7 year old at the moment) and it's never an easy decision.

Asha

Visit site
i would and have PTS in this situation.

Our pony was prone to laminitis and did a tendon. She was very unhappy on box rest, but did it. She didn't come sound, we couldn't turn her away. She was probably around th same age too . She was always a very cheeky fun character, and the box rest just made her utterly miserable. We took the decision not to put her through any more. She was given a big dose of bute and allowed to have some time in a field full of lush grass, and then pts that afternoon. It was a tou decision, but the right me for her.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do x

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
It's far easier to tell you that PTS is the best option than for you to do it but, in this case I believe it is the right thing to do. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chantelle R

Visit site
I feel you pain. Bought a lovely driving pony (I'm novice at driving) with a view to driving under instruction.

Worked well for about 6 months then, my instructor got a full-time job so - no instructor. Try as I might, I simply could find another qualified instructor willing to travel to my yard. To make matters worse, my pony get's so stressed when boxed it wasn't feasible to take him to the instructor as he'd be too dangerous to be put too. In short - would just have been a waste of time and money.

So - I thought, 'I know, I'll break him to ride'. Turns out he's one of those pony's that get's stressed under saddle. I do ride him but only in the field and whilst someone else is there, and we only do walk with the occasional trot over trotting poles if he's on one of his less stressed out moods. Not much fun, really :D

With 2 down, (ride and drive) I then looked at other options. Given that when I first got him he was a bundle of nerves to handle, I had been doing a lot of in-hand 'playtime' with him. So, I looked into Horse Agility. He loves it and we have a really fun time together.

Having practised in the field for giggles, I then looked into doing competitions. I joined the International Horse Agility Club and started doing on-line competitions. We don't take it seriously but, as the rosettes stack up, I feel like my boy and I have finally found something that we both enjoy.

OK! I admit, I am frustrated that I can not do what I bought him for at the moment (driving) but, I've still got the carriage and harness with a view that, on day, I will find another qualified instructor to take me under their wing and start driving him again. He's a fab driving pony - that is his 'thing' - my previous instructor even used him for lessons with other novices.

In the mean time, my boy and I do have a lot of fun with his agility toys :D

I'm lucky though because I have my own yard so can afford to keep him even though he's currently not fit for purpose. When you've got to start paying for livery then, well, you have to way up cost v what you get from owning him. It's a tough call.

Last edited:

Chantelle R

Visit site
I recently had to make the decision for my 20yo mare ... the 2 'liveries from hell' were atrocious the next time I saw them. (I still have a cob at the livery yard). Shouting at me and basically saying that their horses are pets and they would never have done that.

That is dreadful :( What give's them the right to judge?? :( I'd have punched their lights out :D

Chantelle R

Visit site
4. Try to find another home as a companion (would need to be restricted grazing or he would end up laminitic) and I worry about someone in the future trying to ride him, especially a child, as he is child-sized and there being an injury.Also worry about his future care when his perceived 'value' as a companion/ light hack would be low.

Ironically, I'm currently looking for a non-ridden companion and posted on here the other day, asked about horse rescue centre recommendations.

After some fab suggestions, I've been doing some research into them.

Seems that quite a few of theses charities will offer 'home to home' or 'direct' rehoming. Basically, you sign your boy over to the charity then leave them to vet potential borrowers. Once they've found somewhere suitable for your horse he will be rehomed directly to them from your yard. You won't get any money for him but you will get peace of mind about his future.

This will, at least, mean that he will have a new home where he is basically wanted as a lawnmower ... err, sorry ... companion.

Might be worth looking into as another option, due to your ethical/moral debate about having him pts?? :)

paddy555

Visit site
sorry but morally there is absolutely no way that I could have a horse PTS because it suited me and I may want another one I could ride better. If the horse was in pain, had a poor quality of life and was not happy that would be one thing but for my own convenience would be out of the question. It is an animal not a object. It has done nothing to deserve that nor is it the best thing for it because at some time in the future it may get ill, or it may not. I had a section D that was retired for 10 years and died at nearly 30. He was as fat as a barrel, had a cresty neck etc etc. He lived out in a field unmuzzled. He never got laminitis or had a moment's problem in that department. I had him PTS at 30 with colic probably due to a growth.

I am sorry for the rant but I see horse life valued far too cheaply. If it is ill to relieve suffering then that would be a different matter. I would also wonder if I did PTS a horse in those circumstances what would happen if I got another and I couldn't cope with that one. PTS again?

I have had horses where I have felt over horsed and have had to step up to it and horses that were too slow or with limited hacking due to illness and have had to resign myself to doing what they were capable of.

I expect bad behaviour by a pony along with EMS (fat,lack of exercise etc) could all be resolved by exercise. If you are unhappy riding the pony I would have lessons, not on other horses, but have an instructor help you learn to ride your particular pony. Along with bribing everyone else to ride him as well.

I appreciate your exercise may be limited by what the pony can physically do. I would work him to the absolute limit of that. If he then broke down I would see a reasonable case of PTS but many problems do in fact improve with exercise.
Whilst doing that I would take the chance of riding everything else I could.

Really sorry for the contrary opinion but so many people post in a similar vein, there are then 5 pages of posts of people reassuring them that PTS really is the best thing for the horse. Personally if I had done that (and believe me I have been tempted at times!) I simply couldn't live with myself. Others presumably can.

Amirah

Visit site
sorry but morally there is absolutely no way that I could have a horse PTS because it suited me and I may want another one I could ride better. If the horse was in pain, had a poor quality of life and was not happy that would be one thing but for my own convenience would be out of the question. It is an animal not a object. It has done nothing to deserve that nor is it the best thing for it because at some time in the future it may get ill, or it may not. I had a section D that was retired for 10 years and died at nearly 30. He was as fat as a barrel, had a cresty neck etc etc. He lived out in a field unmuzzled. He never got laminitis or had a moment's problem in that department. I had him PTS at 30 with colic probably due to a growth.

I am sorry for the rant but I see horse life valued far too cheaply. If it is ill to relieve suffering then that would be a different matter. I would also wonder if I did PTS a horse in those circumstances what would happen if I got another and I couldn't cope with that one. PTS again?

I have had horses where I have felt over horsed and have had to step up to it and horses that were too slow or with limited hacking due to illness and have had to resign myself to doing what they were capable of.

I expect bad behaviour by a pony along with EMS (fat,lack of exercise etc) could all be resolved by exercise. If you are unhappy riding the pony I would have lessons, not on other horses, but have an instructor help you learn to ride your particular pony. Along with bribing everyone else to ride him as well.

I appreciate your exercise may be limited by what the pony can physically do. I would work him to the absolute limit of that. If he then broke down I would see a reasonable case of PTS but many problems do in fact improve with exercise.

Really sorry for the contrary opinion but so many people post in a similar vein, there are then 5 pages of posts of people reassuring them that PTS really is the best thing for the horse. Personally if I had done that (and believe me I have been tempted at times!) I simply couldn't live with myself. Others presumably can.

Seconded. I don't get this 'it's OK to kill it if it can't work' attitude on here. In pain, then OK, 'seems well and happy' (op's words) then no. They're not cars or motorbikes. Sorry op, if that sounds harsh.

Olly's crew

Visit site
Ironically, I'm currently looking for a non-ridden companion and posted on here the other day, asked about horse rescue centre recommendations.

After some fab suggestions, I've been doing some research into them.

Seems that quite a few of theses charities will offer 'home to home' or 'direct' rehoming. Basically, you sign your boy over to the charity then leave them to vet potential borrowers. Once they've found somewhere suitable for your horse he will be rehomed directly to them from your yard. You won't get any money for him but you will get peace of mind about his future.

This will, at least, mean that he will have a new home where he is basically wanted as a lawnmower ... err, sorry ... companion.

Might be worth looking into as another option, due to your ethical/moral debate about having him pts?? :)

I genuinely did not realise this was something available. Could you send me the details of the centres that do this please?

Olly's crew

Visit site
Seconded. I don't get this 'it's OK to kill it if it can't work' attitude on here. In pain, then OK, 'seems well and happy' (op's words) then no. They're not cars or motorbikes. Sorry op, if that sounds harsh.

It doesn't sound harsh, and your sentiments are the real issues I struggle with. That is why I am still this boy's mom. You have hit the real central issue of the debate, his right to a life over my difficulties and frustrations.

tristar

Visit site
you have had a pony who has given you a hard time, riding wise, not your fault, and i hope in the future you can realize your dream with horses.

whatever you do, pts or turnout on poor ground etc best of luck.

Olly's crew

Visit site

I did try having lessons with him to 'up my game',took him in the arena, kept to walk and trot and then the next time got on him he was lame and needed further steroids. Of course I cannot with absolute certainty say he did not re injure in the field, but my opinion is he found it too much.I did quite a bit with this pony before the injury despite his pony behaviour, but was able to work through it by regular, hard work on him, so feel that i am able to ride him reasonably, I think he would give anyone a hard time tbh.

Last edited:

Chantelle R

Visit site
I genuinely did not realise this was something available. Could you send me the details of the centres that do this please?

Blue Cross - https://www.bluecross.org.uk/giving-horse-home & https://www.bluecross.org.uk/home-direct-scheme

I did see some horses up for loan that were home direct rather than from the centres.

World Horse Welfare - http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/Home

Couldn't actually find their blurb on home direct but, worth a ring??

HAPPA - http://www.happa.org.uk/re-homing/

Barnsby Horse Rescue - https://bransbyhorses.co.uk/

FWIW - most folks pointed me in the direction of Blue Cross :)