A 'What would you do'?

claracanter

Visit site
This all sounds silly now I write it down but I'm looking for ideas.
I have two horses, one a delicate TB who is 12 and currently off again with another tendon strain. I'm hoping to bring him back into work and continue with him as a happy hacker. This is the third leg problem in as many years so I know he can no longer compete.
My second horse was bought to compete in place of my first horse. He is now 15, a spooky WB and has been diagnosed with Cushings. He is on medication ,regularly tested and it is under control.He is a talented horse but struggles at competitions and shuts down. He hacks nicely but not a novice ride. He went hunting this year and was great.

So whats your problem, I hear you say? I like going out to shows and don't feel ready to give up. I'm 50 this year so haven't got years and years of competing ahead of me. I have always wanted to compete at BE 90. I've done a few 80's on my second horse but he doesn't enjoy it and becomes very backward thinking. We have regular lessons and do clinics etc but he is just not dynamic at a shows. Most horses get lit up at shows but he is the reverse. I'm sure it's to do with the Cushings.

I keep both my horses on part livery at an excellent yard.

Talked it through with my husband this morning and he is much more objective than me and says get a third horse and get on with what I want to do. This sounds amazing but what do I do with the other two.

Should I just retire the TB, not sure if he will retire. I know if he breaks down again the sensible decision would be to PTS but I'm not ready to do that yet.
I don't feel comfortable trying to sell a 15 year old Cushings boy.

I know this sounds like a first world problem but can any of you come up with any suggestions?

Amye

Visit site
Could you look at getting a sharer? How is your TB to hack? If sensible enough you could look for a sharer to hack.

Or if your WB is fine for hunting and clinics etc but just not for showing, I'm sure you could find someone who would like to have fun with him?

be positive

Visit site
Find a hunting home for the older one, loaning him if he is a good hunter should not be too tricky although you may need to help fund the meds, let the tb get over his injury, a year turned away properly somewhere, possibly not where you are as he would benefit from being out full time at least over the summer and that may give you an idea whether a retirement livery could work, they are often fine living in a herd with no routine or stabling daily.

Then get your competition horse, your husband is supporting you so that is a bonus.

j1ffy

Visit site
Find a hunting home for the older one, loaning him if he is a good hunter should not be too tricky although you may need to help fund the meds, let the tb get over his injury, a year turned away properly somewhere, possibly not where you are as he would benefit from being out full time at least over the summer and that may give you an idea whether a retirement livery could work, they are often fine living in a herd with no routine or stabling daily.

Then get your competition horse, your husband is supporting you so that is a bonus.

This ^^ :)

SusieT

Visit site
Retire your injured one - he will be happier, you will be happier. But it needs to be in a large area with company - not just a postage stamp field or he won't be happy.
Toddle about on your other oneand enjoy looking for horse number three :D Make sure you get it fully vetted and insured and try it in lots of scenarios away from home etc so you know you are getting the right one

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have been here my TB did not like competitions and was never that keen on jumping he disliked hunting ...all too tiring.
He was however a fantastic hack so last year I took a deep breath and loaned him out to someone who used to work for my OH and bought my self two new horses to do what I enjoy .
If I where you I would loan the warm blood as a hunter and the Tb as a hack you are fortunate that your oh is supportive so you have time to find them the right solution .

claracanter

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I know I'm so lucky to have such a supportive hubby. You have come up with some options that I have thought of as well so it makes me think it is possible.

Last edited: