A word of caution to those thinking of rescue

MilosDad

Visit site
I rescued a horse in April. Starved neglected for 3 years feral and at least 16.2hh.
picture.php

He was rumoured to have been a fair eventer but obviously something had gone wrong
7 months later I have a 17hh horse who still has attitude!
picture.php

He is a monster although he is my monster and I wouldn't swap him but it has been incredibly difficult. At first he wouldn't eat attacked everyone and would charge you down in the field (and not feinting either). I got very used to stepping adroitly to one side and then watching for the hooves. Feet were frankly awful. The vet gave him a clean bill of health except congenital lateral cataracts and malnutrition.So I let him settle for 5 months, I learned that if I approached from the side with no head collar he would let me near in the field, I walked him out in hand and fed him according to my vet.
After 5 months he had calmed down enough to be 'sociable' so I got the farrier in and we trimmed his feet. I put a saddle on him. Tolerated it so I sat on him. Tolerated it so I put leg on.
After my stylish 360 in the air I decided that maybe it was a job for the professionals so he went away to a Point 2 Point yard to be retrained. Sam Holdsworth has done a fantastic job but it took 50 days.
picture.php

So now I ride him out in company and am working to getting him out on his own before we start flatwork. This is proving difficult due to time limitations for me so sometimes he isn't ridden for 5 to 10 days which is far from ideal.

Cautions?
Each time I get on him I am scared that he will buck me off again but it has to be done.
Each time I get on him its a voyage into the unknown
Its is so frustratingly slow, one step forward two steps back sometimes
Tear up the timetable it will just get blown out of the water anyway
I don't know if we are going to have a happy ending or not
You learn as much about yourself as you do about the horse
You have to learn to live with fear and overcome it, last time he had my off I was uninjured but I know what he can do!!

jenz87

Visit site
I have a rescue. Although I love her to bits she is not a normal horse.
Her vets bills have amounted to thousands. Her supplement bills are over 60 a month and rising.
She is very tallented but I cannot bring myself to ride her any more due to inconsistent moods that can be difdicult under saddle.
Yet I love her to bits and would never be without her.

AshTay

Visit site
Thank you for sharing! Good to hear that things are going well now. Well done for having the sense to see when it was time to call in professional help.

I didn't "rescue" my horse but I think his previous owners did. They bought him after only seeing him free schooled because the original* owner had him backed professionally (apparently) but for whatever reasons had ended up scared to death of him. When his previous owners got him home it was apparently like wall of death with him in the stable and it took a lot of time just sat in his stable with him before he'd be happy to make contact. They spent a year working on this and riding him out before advertising him for sale on Project Horses which was where I found him. When I first saw him he was not happy about having a stranger in his stable with him and tried to hide in the corner and I've never before seen a horse with such a strong bond with his owner - he was constantly looking for him if he went out of view and was only really relaxed when his owner was near him.
He's totally different now. Anyone can approach him (he sometimes still spooks away in the field but he's fine in the stable) and he's chilled out loads. You'll see from my other thread that we're still having some ridden issues but on the whole it's taken over a year. He has frightened me in the past both ridden and on the ground but on the ground he is now better than most IMHO!

*I'm calling them "original" to differentiate from previous but I don't think they were his original owners in the true sense of the word.

Victoria25

Visit site
Sounds like my ex racer who sadly passed away recently. He was a lovely horse BUT he would would be fine for a month then out of the blue go into a very dangerous completely unexpected rodeo horse (whether being ridden or just tied up) ... I wouldnt have ever sold him or had him PTS but fate played a massive part and he was taken away from us. Please be careful. I do think that if my boy hadnt passed away we would have had a massive accident in the future. x

MilosDad

Visit site
It's a work in progress and early days yet. 7 months is no time at all and he has made massive progress but I agree with Victoria25, with a rescue you just do not know what will happen when you get on. If you can live with that so be it but as they say "Only a fool learns by his own mistakes" so I am hoping that this will perhaps make people think before rushing in to rescue a ned

MilosDad

Visit site
Btw thats not me on him, I'm a 56 yr old bloke who has only ridden since he was 51 which frankly makes me even more stupid for doing this

Orangehorse

Visit site
You really don't know what you are getting and what the horse has gone through to be a rescue.

I hear so many stories of owners who have gone to extremes to get to the bottom of problems and found that the horse was either completely misunderstood or suffered long term pain problems, but that didn't necessarily make the horse fixable.

Some have been fixable, some wth the most obscure conditions. Others have not. There was a local dealer lady who was always trying to make a profit on a horse and would sometimes get horses from the meat man if she thought they were savable. She looked at once nice TB once and asked why it was there and the man replied, just go and approach it. She did, only for the horse to go to attack, with a purpose. Poor thing, just how had it got to that situation. Luckily, its problems are over.

Well done for rescuing your horse, and glad to know it is going well. If you need more help a Monty Roberts person is pretty good and can give you good tips, as they have seen lots of problem horses.

Goodluck.

lottiepony

Visit site
Excellent post! I think a lot of people just assume it's just a case of stuffing it full of feed and ta da you've got yourself a cheap perfect horse. If only it were that simple. Horses in poor condition will often seem sweet and kind but that can change once they are fit and well. Some are very lucky that they find people that are willing to work through their problems.

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I have a friend that has rescued a racehorse broodmare. We don't think she has ever been backed but dont really know. Someone did send her away for schooling but they got straight on her she was fine then put legs on and she went up so they sent her back.
She is well and happy but my friend is an OAP and thinks if anything happens to her [ the OAP] what will happen to the horse. She contacted the racehorse rescue but they would pts if she is not ridable and friend doesnt want that .
Can anyone recommend anyone who would back her in the West Midlands as my friend thinks she will have more chance in life if backed and ridden. She is 12 years old.

zaminda

Visit site
We bought one supposedly unstarted from a breeder. She had been sold, and not paid for and was eventually taken back. Sadly she was like a coat rack when they got her home, and she came to us two months later still looking RSPCA thin. She had always had her feet done from a foal, but the first time we had her trimmed, they managed to do one foot! It took 7 months to sit on her, and 13 to canter, partly because she was so underweight, we would do a bit, then turn her away, and just fiddled away with her. She has turned over backwards with my OH, I maintain it was his own fault though!
However 8 years on she is lovely, even if we do effectivly re start her everytime she has a holiday!
Rescues, and horses with dodgy pasts need so much time and understanding, it is possible though, that said, I don't think she would still be with us if I wasn't used to crazies, and if OH hadn't had other things to ride, and more importantly keep his confidence with alongside.

HazyXmas

Visit site
I have a friend that has rescued a racehorse broodmare. We don't think she has ever been backed but dont really know. Someone did send her away for schooling but they got straight on her she was fine then put legs on and she went up so they sent her back.
She is well and happy but my friend is an OAP and thinks if anything happens to her [ the OAP] what will happen to the horse. She contacted the racehorse rescue but they would pts if she is not ridable and friend doesnt want that .
Can anyone recommend anyone who would back her in the West Midlands as my friend thinks she will have more chance in life if backed and ridden. She is 12 years old.

I'm very sorry but there are hundreds of young TB's that needs good homes, a lot of them will go on to make nice all rounders given half a chance.

I personally wouldn't waste my time or resources on a 12 yr old ex broodmare, that has obviously got some issues . If your friend can't/doesn't want to keep her as a field ornament then i think that pts is the best thing. I'm sorry to sound so harsh but we are in very tough times & approaching a winter with very little grass & sky high prices for everything. I think that everyone needs to be realistic about our horses & whether they can do a job, if not, do the decent thing if we are unable to keep them, rather than passing the problem on to someone else..

Star_Chaser

Visit site
I rescued a horse in April. Starved neglected for 3 years feral and at least 16.2hh.
picture.php

He was rumoured to have been a fair eventer but obviously something had gone wrong
7 months later I have a 17hh horse who still has attitude!
picture.php

He is a monster although he is my monster and I wouldn't swap him but it has been incredibly difficult. At first he wouldn't eat attacked everyone and would charge you down in the field (and not feinting either). I got very used to stepping adroitly to one side and then watching for the hooves. Feet were frankly awful. The vet gave him a clean bill of health except congenital lateral cataracts and malnutrition.So I let him settle for 5 months, I learned that if I approached from the side with no head collar he would let me near in the field, I walked him out in hand and fed him according to my vet.
After 5 months he had calmed down enough to be 'sociable' so I got the farrier in and we trimmed his feet. I put a saddle on him. Tolerated it so I sat on him. Tolerated it so I put leg on.
After my stylish 360 in the air I decided that maybe it was a job for the professionals so he went away to a Point 2 Point yard to be retrained. Sam Holdsworth has done a fantastic job but it took 50 days.
picture.php

So now I ride him out in company and am working to getting him out on his own before we start flatwork. This is proving difficult due to time limitations for me so sometimes he isn't ridden for 5 to 10 days which is far from ideal.

Cautions?
Each time I get on him I am scared that he will buck me off again but it has to be done.
Each time I get on him its a voyage into the unknown
Its is so frustratingly slow, one step forward two steps back sometimes
Tear up the timetable it will just get blown out of the water anyway
I don't know if we are going to have a happy ending or not
You learn as much about yourself as you do about the horse
You have to learn to live with fear and overcome it, last time he had my off I was uninjured but I know what he can do!!

And it will be worth it in the end... ;)

patch1234

Visit site
I worked for a very large equine rescue centre for many years.

An advantage of getting one from these places is that they will have been worked and ridden if appropriate so you do know what you are getting.

However many do not get homed as they are too dangerous or have medical problems so are ither PTS or put out as companions only.

Rescuing a horse may at the time seem like a very good idea but unfortunately you often get more than you bargained for especially if you are not very experienced with neglected horses.

Just because someone rides well does not make them experienced to take on neglected and often traumatised horses.

Im glad the OP took professional advice as so many rescued horses go from hand to hand as people are not experienced to cope with them.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I don't really understand this post. The cautions sound like issues that would be experienced by bringing on any young horse. :confused: I realise that with a 'rescue' you don't know the history. Equally, you could pay a fair price for a privately owned horse in good condition, unfit and green, and you've only got the sellers word for the history of the animal. They could be lying or omitting useful information. Most horses (unless you spend tons on a 'ready made' one) come with issues that need to be worked through.

Most 'rescues' seem to be pity purchases rather than actual rescuing the animal. Do people really think that by purchasing a cheap neglected horse they can feed it up then it will suddenly become a ready made riding horse, just like that? Do people not stop to think that if it was such a great horse it would have been easily sold when no longer needed, rather than left to be neglected in a field somewhere? Are people really that niaeve (sp)? I'm not having a go at anyone, just genuinely shocked.

OP well done for turning the horse into a useful creature and for getting professional help quickly rather than trying to do it all yourself and making the problem worse. It sounds as if your confidence has taken a bit of a bashing by the whole process and I hope that in time as you and the horse get to know each other better that your confidence will return. Though you can't be doing too badly if you're still riding it. It makes a nice change to read a success story, instead of the usual ones on here where someone 'rescued' a horse ages ago and still can't do anything with it but doesn't want to involve professionals.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Would add that professionals cannot always get a rescue horse 'right'. You will end up paying out more money than the horse is worth. It takes months if not years of patient consistant work , from an experienced horseman to rehabilitate the worst cases. Invariably the worst cases are very intelligebt,coulped with extreme sensitivity.
Sometimes the neglect/abuse has gone on too long , and the horse s emotional baggage is just too great.
Would also say [again- as I ve said it before and its a particular bugbear of mine], NEVER take on and try to back an aged broodmare. Their ligaments will have stretched and therefore they will NEVER muscle up over the back and under the saddle area. If ridden, quickly become swaybacked , and in pain. I ve known of mares that have collapsed under the rider to get away from the pain.
If you take on a rescue ,be rich,young or bold!

Spudlet

Visit site
If anyone wants to help a rescue horse, but doesn't feel able to take one from scratch - rehome from a reputable charity. The horse will be vetted and matched to you, and you'll have back-up. And by taking that horse on, you'll make space for another neglected horse to be taken in.

Given that horse charities are now saying they are full and predicting a possible crisis this winter, now more than ever it's important that those that can, rehome.

:)

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Keep doing what your doing - best tip i ever learnt with my big lad - was i used to get on him like i had just come off him ! - they sometimes need to know you have got attitude too !

He was never an easy ride, but i loved every hair on his furry body - i dont half miss him.

If he has cataracts - just give him a little bit of time when the sun is low, or you go from light to dark - whilst he can see its a bit foggy, like looking through frosted glass - so he will take longer for his eyes to adjust than most - and if its foggy he will always be a bit sharper as he aint go the best of eyes

bless him !
and well done you

Kaylum

Visit site
I loaned a horse many years ago, never been wormed, had no idea how to behave as never been taught or school properly, but he was my first horse and I learnt so much from this. Picking up other peoples neglect is rescuing a horse from having a miserable life. The owners then put him up for sale and I couldn't afford him. He would jump, hack out, had manners etc, all because I had spent the time finding out how to look after a horse.

Well done op. it's hard work but worth it.

Helping a horse to have a happier life is rescuing it from having a miserable one.

cptrayes

Visit site
I don't really understand this post. The cautions sound like issues that would be experienced by bringing on any young horse. :confused:

It is not normal for an experienced rider to have to send the horse to a professional for rebacking.

And having done so, it is extremely unusual for it to take nearly two months for that pro to get the horse halfway reliable.

I think it is great for someone to post a story warning people that if they rescue a horse in poor condition there may well be a very good reason why its previous owners have given up on it.

OP well done!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Some very wise words on this post, I hope people are really listening. I have always tried NOT to take on the pity cases but several years ago I just had to step in and have to date rescued/rehomed/rehabilitated nine Spanish horses from three different situations. Seven have had the fairytale ending and are doing fantastically well with new owners (just to note, NONE have been sold for profit). Two are still with me, one will probably never be completely sane, the other is a work in progress. I will try as hard as I can NOT to rescue another horse; it is a very hard task with no guarenteed outcome. I honestly believe that sometimes the kindest thing is to PTS.

Last edited:

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
I'm very sorry but there are hundreds of young TB's that needs good homes, a lot of them will go on to make nice all rounders given half a chance.

I personally wouldn't waste my time or resources on a 12 yr old ex broodmare, that has obviously got some issues . If your friend can't/doesn't want to keep her as a field ornament then i think that pts is the best thing. I'm sorry to sound so harsh but we are in very tough times & approaching a winter with very little grass & sky high prices for everything. I think that everyone needs to be realistic about our horses & whether they can do a job, if not, do the decent thing if we are unable to keep them, rather than passing the problem on to someone else..

I know but she has got attached and doesn't mind spending on the mare she has a life of luxury , she just would like to give her a chance in life as if she is a riding horse she may have a better life if things should ever change,

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
One of my clients took in a part welsh mare from less than ideal circumstances. He got her at 4. He had 2 foals off of her but he wanted her as a riding horse for nieces and nephews in years to come. He was told she was never broke. Well it became apparent she had been started badly at some stage. It took us 2 1/2 months to really get her riding well but I would have never trusted her with a child. If you moved your right leg an inch she'd panic and take off. Desensitising was not going to work here. She was genuinely afraid for her life. We never asked her tough questions and I was so pleased with what she did give us. I had to be straight with the owner and say this really isn't in her best interest to be something she can't be. The damage was done.

Maybe that doesn't sit well with some people. In fact I'm sure some people have better ideas on how it could have been done. But you also have to remember I have to have the horse and owners interests at heart. I can't do it for free and he can pay for a years slow work. She wasn't acting up, she was terrified. I have a suspicion that she had dragged something in a fright and was hung up. I mean you couldn't get off this pony safely without someone holding her. You go to swing that leg and whoa Nellie! I remember being out on a quiet little hack and saw my husband driving away. I'm like, WTH, how am I gonna get off. At least with someone holding her and reassuring her she was fine. She needed that reassurance. My phone was in my jacket in the barn. Half an hour later he got back home. LOL! We had a nice quiet extra long hack. Glad he wasn't heading off to the pub.

Anyway, she is safe and being a nanny. Sometimes it can't be fixed. I know I will be slated for that but it is very rare.

Terri

Ibblebibble

Visit site
Most 'rescues' seem to be pity purchases rather than actual rescuing the animal. Do people really think that by purchasing a cheap neglected horse they can feed it up then it will suddenly become a ready made riding horse, just like that? Do people not stop to think that if it was such a great horse it would have been easily sold when no longer needed, rather than left to be neglected in a field somewhere? Are people really that niaeve (sp)? I'm not having a go at anyone, just genuinely shocked.

i think some people are that naive , in fact i know of a few people who have taken on 'rescues' and then not been able to do a thing with them once they are up to healthy weight! some people really don't think past the purchase price and then because the horse was cheap they don't want to spend money getting professional help so they decide it has far too many issues and just keep it as a pet.