A word of caution to those thinking of rescue

MilosDad

Visit site
I concur with the sentiments of sugar and spice entirely and the reason I put this post up originally was as a warning. There are so many horses around at the moment as people struggle in the financial climate that I wanted to perhaps alert some who may have seen this as an option.
I wasn't looking for a horse when I heard about Thomas (I'd lost my mare in December she bled to death in front of me from a ruptured spleen and I was still mourning her) but I could see he was a good quality animal. I had put everything on hold when Molly died so I took Thomas on as, at the very least, I could give him a good summer before I put him to sleep if it didn't work out. That was the basis we started at. Every good day is a bonus every bad day I learn something.
It is not a way to get a cheap animal, it is not a way to get a reliable horse and it's not a way to an easy life!
To be blunt if you are thinking of doing it out of pity don't
If you want a cheap horse don't do it because I have now learned how much work goes into making an animal and have huge respect for the professionals and a notion that no horse under £5000 is a 'bargain'
But if you want a rewarding challenge with no guarantees except the risk of heart break go for it cos if you look in my album that is what you can give an animal

jeeve

Visit site
Have been there done that, spent thousands, had a nice little TB mare. Took an hour to saddle her each day, and had to be ridden a minimum of 3-4 times a week, or became unrideable. Lovely nature, just really sensitive, with lots of buck. The hour saddling meant that she was relaxed by the time I got on, and involved groundwork.

3 years later, I was bucked off for the second time (the first time was a wasp bite), I had been really careful, (usually I had enough notice from her that she was going to buck, to bend her and avoid the buck), but not that time, I ended up in intensive care for 5 days, and it took me three weeks before I could walk /talk/drive etc, and three years before I rode again.

You do sound like you are on the right track, and getting someone to help you re start him, and just taking things slowly is the right way. Good luck.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
Sometimes you have to ask yourself how much time you want to put into the animal, as each animal is different, I always think it's about taking back to treated as a foal, the step 1's headcollar,rugs and such like and building up from there, if you have the time, it's well worth it.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Very interesting post and it's good to see you have given this horse a chance and a life. Yes it has taken and will no doubt continue to take a lot of effort. I think the professional did well to get so far in 50 days actually.
He has probably been cathartic for you after losing your mare so terribly - as he will have taken every ounce of concerntration and effort to fathom him.
I have a similar case of an abused and injured horse and he has taken 2 years to come around. I wouldn't want to do it again if I am honest - it has been very very difficult and something I don't regret but don't want to repeat.

I am always suspicious of 'poor' horses - there is so often something very amiss there and it is imo always worth trying to find out a horse's history, just to preserve yourself from injury.
It always amazes me re the overseas rescues as the majority have such problems they should be pts. Who wants to spend £150 having to dope a horse everytime you want it trimmed. The soft brits are seen coming! I am not of course suggesting your horse is in this category.

Last edited:

Bumble31

New User
Visit site
Hi All

I'm the lucky girl riding Tom in the picture - MilosDad invited me to be part of Tom's life and its been a wonderful/scary/emotional experience so far.

I've ridden on and off since I was 8 with long gaps due to back injury, work, etc etc. I've always had to go to riding schools so the whole process of building a relationship with Tom is brand new territory for me.

We both still find it amazing how far he's come in 7 months - he's still a bit of a wombat at times but once you get past that and know him he's such a lovely boy.

I'm so proud of him for learning to trust us and letting us be his 'Mum' and 'Dad' - and I'm proud of us for getting our boy on the road to recovery.

hayinamanger

Visit site
I'm very sorry but there are hundreds of young TB's that needs good homes, a lot of them will go on to make nice all rounders given half a chance.

I personally wouldn't waste my time or resources on a 12 yr old ex broodmare, that has obviously got some issues . If your friend can't/doesn't want to keep her as a field ornament then i think that pts is the best thing. I'm sorry to sound so harsh but we are in very tough times & approaching a winter with very little grass & sky high prices for everything. I think that everyone needs to be realistic about our horses & whether they can do a job, if not, do the decent thing if we are unable to keep them, rather than passing the problem on to someone else..

Completely agree with this