A year ago today I did this

Ella19

Visit site
A year ago today I did this as some of you may remember:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=452474

Smashed my collar bone in 4. Well I thought some of you may like an update!

From that op the plate came loose just as I had returned to work in July. I had a further operation in August to take out the loose plate, bone graft a gap and put in a new plate sideways. This went well although you can see all the screw holes through my skin and I still have a big scar. Physio resumed for two months with hydrotherapy, which I would really reccommend for anyone in a similar situation, it helped so much.

I was back on to Indie in late October and started work at a new job in a small animal practice.

I am fortunate in that they thought 60% would be all I would get back use wise in my arm and I have 90%, however it does hurt a lot of the time and I have found that I can not lift enough to carry on vet nursing so I am taking on the position of practice manager instead.

Indie has been a total superstar adapting to my lack of function. Sometimes i will squeeze the reins in my head but my hand doesn't respond!I have a large patch that is numb and I also sit to the left as my right arm was slung for over 8 months, the chiro is working on this but I don't seem to be improving :confused: .

So all pretty positive and shouldn't expect more until a year has past so should see another improvement around August time. :)

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
Wow that x ray is awful!! Well done you. I'm glad you are back riding and hope the next operation goes well and your movement improves. I have broken my collar bone twice (same one) but nothing to that extent. You are very brave!!

Ella19

Visit site
Thanks Copperpot, blooming painful injuries aren't they! Just edited my above post as I realised it read wrong, i've had both ops and August this year will be a year since the last one so should see an improvment then. Hoping not to have another but this plate may need to come out in the near future if it keeps causing me pain.

Oh and I got another CO pro II helmet in the end and a Kan body protector which I love. I did try the racesafe but it sat too much on the plate and caused pain, the Kan is fine as long as I keep my shoulders back!

SillySausage

Visit site
Wow, that was a nasty accident!

I had a pony fall with me out hacking for no reason when walking up a flat path (don't ask, to this day I have NO idea...), but I was very lucky and got thrown clear. Brings it home how the worst accidents can happen anytime!

Copperpot

Visit site
Well I'm glad all the ops are out the way then :) mine would have been no where near as painful as yours. Your collar bone was obliterated!! I hope by August you are fighting fit again! Your horse sounds lovely and like she wants to take care of you :)