A Year of Lottie (almost!)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I can't believe how quickly our anniversary has come around. She arrived while I was on holiday and I met her nearly 3 weeks later on August 20th 2021. She was and remains defensive and easily upset, but despite all the threatening face pulling and the dramatic reactions to raised hands or sudden movement she is actually remarkably chilled. She hacks across any terrain without turning a hair at anything. She works cows. She rests her hooves on my lap whem I am studding her to save my back and she self loads! She is just so, so easy. And SO much fun to ride. I adored ridin Amber but Lottie suits me much better. She is a lot saner for a start. And less prone to launching into orbit over jumps.

Lesson 1 was... erm.. catching! She wasn't overly keen. But we addressed that then lesson 2 was leading. And lesson 3 was standing at the mounting block (or wall or stone or whatever I want to scramble onto her from). All that was easy. Lesson 4 was standing still and not doing anyhing. Horse-as-sofa. Well that blew her mind. She likes to be BUSY. But she got that too and we were ready to ride.

After 10 days I took her to a camp and she did not put a foot wrong. After 14 days she came in lame from the field. After a few weeks of my normal vet not really identifying the issue, we took her somewhere else and an SI injury was diagnosed. Cue 3 months rehab. But in Decemember we were signed off fit and well readyu to crack on. Jan/Feb we carried on hacking and I introduced jumping her. And discovered I had absolutely no control at all. Oops. Back to the drawing board for a few weeks to instill a bit more rideability! In March we went back to camp and she was awesome. Proved to be bold and far more rideable. So in April we started eventing and while the dressage was a car-crash, she was MEGA when it came to jumping. DC in our first ever event. I could not believe this bought unseen punt was turning into such a reliable superstar.

Since then we have evented a few more times and begun to post better dressage scores, finally starting to place in events with a 4th and a 7th in our last 2 runs. We have done 6 events and across all of them we have had 2 poles and 1 run out. She has been clear XC and clear SJ in 5/6 runs this season. Not bad!!

Along the way we have also done the Arena Eventing at Chastworth, some pure dressage unaff, some combined training and my first ever British Novice at a BS show. And gone to cowboy camp with her sharer.

Throughout she has had an incredible can-do work ethic. Nothing phases her at all.

On the more high maintenance side of things - she is prone to hind gut issues and her supplement bill is eye watering. She goes better in vastly expensive kit like the WOW freedom girth. She needs monthly massage and physio to keep her in good shape. We are on a yard of hardy natives and she is definitely the diva of the group! But everyone loves her, especially me.

I have made a highlights video of our year. I'm so soft it makes me cry every time I view it. Can't wait for Year 2!

Last edited:

Peglo

Visit site
I love Lottie updates. She is so gorgeous and I really enjoy your write ups. Well done both of you. What a year.

I couldn’t get through to your video before so I just searched for it on YouTube. I’m not a stalker, I promise ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm convinced that nothing beats a good (and most of the time brown) mare. She's class. What a great year you've had!

We have a Lottie at the yard who's the same colour, coincidentally, and she's a great horse and successful jumper. Maybe it's in the name :p

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm convinced that nothing beats a good (and most of the time brown) mare. She's class. What a great year you've had!

We have a Lottie at the yard who's the same colour, coincidentally, and she's a great horse and successful jumper. Maybe it's in the name :p

Must be! Lottie comes from Lot53 and an adaption of Lotte as she is half German. As am I! Once the name popped into my head it felt perfect.

Squeak

Visit site
Lovely video, it looks like you've built such a nice relationship together. Can't wait to see what you get up to in your second year, I love following your updates.

Out of interest, what do you have her on for her hind gut? Mine is also very sensitive in his hind gut and am always looking for ideas of how I could manage it better. It was actually a previous post of yours about trying Ron Fields supplements that made me try it on mine and it's made a huge difference.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Lovely video, it looks like you've built such a nice relationship together. Can't wait to see what you get up to in your second year, I love following your updates.

Out of interest, what do you have her on for her hind gut? Mine is also very sensitive in his hind gut and am always looking for ideas of how I could manage it better. It was actually a previous post of yours about trying Ron Fields supplements that made me try it on mine and it's made a huge difference.

I have tried lots of things and settled on Equine 74 Gastric and Equishure. The Equine 74 was on vet recommendation and really helped till Spring grass caused a flare up. So then I added in Equishure which is one of the few products to stay intact till it gets to the hindgut where it can then neutralise the acid. I keep trying to wean her off them one at a time but she is best on both. She is also on restricted grass - in during the day and out at night - ad lib hay, Saracens Releve mixed with Baileys Ease n Excel (she won't eat the Releve on its own, or I'd just use that) and honeychop calm and shine which is a nice soft chaff with a bit of oil. And a splash of Aloe Vera beciase its cheap and why not. but if I foret that for a few days that makes no obvious dfifference. Missing the othersdoes. That management keeps her looking and feeling great.

Bernster

Visit site
Been lovely to follow your journey. I remember some of the things you had to deal with along the way, and it’s so good to read where you’re at now.

Have had Bertie a little over a year. I forget how far we’ve come at times, and other times I feel like we haven’t done half of what I was hoping to do !

Squeak

Visit site
I have tried lots of things and settled on Equine 74 Gastric and Equishure. The Equine 74 was on vet recommendation and really helped till Spring grass caused a flare up. So then I added in Equishure which is one of the few products to stay intact till it gets to the hindgut where it can then neutralise the acid. I keep trying to wean her off them one at a time but she is best on both. She is also on restricted grass - in during the day and out at night - ad lib hay, Saracens Releve mixed with Baileys Ease n Excel (she won't eat the Releve on its own, or I'd just use that) and honeychop calm and shine which is a nice soft chaff with a bit of oil. And a splash of Aloe Vera beciase its cheap and why not. but if I foret that for a few days that makes no obvious dfifference. Missing the othersdoes. That management keeps her looking and feeling great.

Thanks, that's really interesting AE, I haven't tried either of those supplements but they were on the list to try as were the feeds. It's the winter I struggle with more than summer, luckily he seems ok with plenty of grass and anytime he struggles I put him on a laminitis supplement as it has a buffer in it and helps him to process the sugar better and so far it seems to do enough in the summer.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
What a great update! I hope you don't mind me saying, your riding has come on tremendously too and you look much more confident and happy - a lovely partnership.

Ah thank-you. Of course I don't mind at all. I feel like my riding is totally crap most of the time so any glimmers of improvements are very welcome!

J&S

Visit site
I think you have done amazingly well with Lottie in this basically quite short period of time. From scratch to eventing (and placing) in less than a year is, to my mind, quite remarkable. You must have put in an enormous amount of time, thought and sheer physical effort to do this. Well done and a big pat for Lottie!

Fieldlife

Visit site
I alternate sodium bicarbonate mixed to slush with linseed oil and Equishure (encapsulated sodium bicarbonate to get to hind gut)

Tom Beech says can feed the home made version for similar effect. I make up a weeks worth in Tupperware pot and take out a small scoop per feed. Not nice tasting so do need to mix well into a tasty ideally soaked feed.

Fieldlife

Visit site
That sounds interesting. So the linseed stops it being broken down before it reaches the hind gut?

I think that’s the idea it is dissolved or coated in the oil. Try it you’d soon know if it’s working.

I use this food grade sodium bicarbonate - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15164024...MrhhwlmSuC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I take Tupperware pot, add power to 2/3 full. Add linseed oil (have dispenser on 5 litre pot). Stir with knife and keep adding until all dissolved and is yellow gloop sloppy enough you can get 30-50ml scoops out of.

I keep knife with pot as can need a stir. I think 30ml of this approximates to 30ml Equishure. So can dose accordingly.

I use both this or Equishure depending on how well horse clearing bucket etc. as yellow slop does tasty strong whilst Equishure tasteless.