Aaaargh - decisions, decisions!

Araboo27

Visit site
So, currently on a yard that I love - can't fault it, can be bitchy but not too bad compared to others I've been on. Just had a message off my friend that a field has come up for rent by hers. It's further away but we could split checks so I wouldn't HAVE to go every day, pony could live out and I could get a little companion which my daughter could ride (can't afford a second pony at current yard). No paddock to ride in but I don't school anyway, hacking is great. Not sure about storage for hay/straw/feed etc and unsure what happens with muck heap, I've messaged the lady for more info.

I'm really in two minds as to what to do! If I didn't like my current yard then I'd snap it up. Also a bit worried about the distance, it's 10 miles away which isn't unreasonable (I do have 3 children, own business, full time student so time is a huge factor) but when my current yard is 5 mins down the road it's a big change. Always wanted my own place but something is holding me back. Pony is a bit of a good doer and I'd be worried about weight management, especially if I got a second pony which would be too small for me to exercise. I mean it's doable but a lot of extra work that I'd need to find the time for.

Think I'm talking myself out of it!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
20 mile round trip is a very long way each day!! Imagine if something happened, and you wanted to get there in a hurry!!

it also sounds like there probably wouldn't be someone around as much as there is at your current yard, so if something happened part way through the day, the horse could be left for a number of hours before anyone notices!

also you might not need to school but your daughter would eventually need somewhere to ride!!

Personally I have 2 of my horses out 24/7 but I do have a massive field shelter and stables if I need them, as well as lots of storage, I wouldn't want to do it this way if I didn't have somewhere secure for my stuff and electric for emergencies etc!!

so I'd say think long and hard!! especially in the wet winters, when rugs get wet through, you need somewhere to hang them to dry them out etc

Araboo27

Visit site
Thanks :) I've always been desperate for my own place but this isn't right for me. I'm going to stay where I am and maybe in the future something more suitable will come up.

Think I've had a mini breakdown this morning about this!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
awww bless ya, but I know how you feel. just wait for the right place to come along!! I've had 3 different places on my own and in the last 2 I've hated it, it was sooo lonely, so i've always had a friend come in to keep my company! my current friend is the perfect, she's been with me a year and a bit now and hasn't annoyed me once!!

JillA

Visit site
Get a piece of paper and write down the pros and cons. As you do it you will find you are unconsciously skewing it one way or the other - and your decision is made

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would say no, don't go. This, by the sounds of it, isn't going to be ideal for you. Something will turn up closer and more suitable I'm sure :)

Clare85

Visit site
The distance would put me off if I were you. Travelling 20 miles per day, as well as dealing with your children, business and study would be quite stressful I think. You might not have time to ride.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
If I stay at my OH's, my horse is 17 miles away... :p

Yeah, I used to drive 17 miles from home to horse, then 9 miles from horse to work and repeat in reverse in the evenings. You just get used to it.

but are they on private yards, where no one else is going to be around for hours at a time? where if they were injured they could be left unseen for half a day? thats what would put me off, having a mare that suffered with bouts of colic for about 4 years

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The distance would put me off if I were you. Travelling 20 miles per day, as well as dealing with your children, business and study would be quite stressful I think. You might not have time to ride.

and 20 miles is only 1 round trip.

OP, in the depths of winter, that could work out at 40 miles each day - 2 visits to break ice, feed hay etc - not good if friend lets you down at all, or you get asked to do hers if she is away.

My round trip is 7.5 miles each time, I sometimes am there 3 times a day on non-work days, but try to keep to just morning and evening.

Crackerz

Visit site
but are they on private yards, where no one else is going to be around for hours at a time? where if they were injured they could be left unseen for half a day? thats what would put me off, having a mare that suffered with bouts of colic for about 4 years

Noone lives at the DIY yard I am on, and the YO works elsewhere. It's quite normal for people not to be around at a small yard in the day on a week day ime :)

However, 10 miles would be too far for me