Aargh, vasculitis and reactions to every treatment

soloequestrian

Visit site
I've been battling leukocytoclastic vasculitis for many years now. I've got to the point where I accept that it's never going to go away, I just need to keep the horse comfortable. It only affects a narrow band just above his coronets and he doesn't notice it most of the time. It's usually fine in winter - weirdly, it's better in wet weather and ideally has a layer of mud over it! In this frosty, dry weather we've been having it sometimes looks a little bit sore i.e. weeps very slightly. Over the years I've been through many topical treatments and the patterns is always the same - fine for a (variable) period of time and then big flare up after which I can't use the same treatment. Someone helpfully suggested FiltaBac when I had run out of ideas last summer and that worked very well for the whole summer. He was fine for the first part of the winter but then during the last frosty spell I put some FiltaBac on and he had one of his reactions. I'm thinking about trying honey again, but wondered if anyone had any other ideas for yet another topical treatment for him - I will need something to use more frequently when the summer comes again.
Thanks in advance!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Filtabac came from me, how annoying it has flared at this time of year. Filtabac was a saviour for my lad last year. I did use flamazine with success too.

Bec26

Visit site
I battled this with my mare for year and like your horse she was worse in the summer - I tried steroids, antibiotics, flamazine and in the end I stopped everything and used Silver Whinnys socks and within a week the improvement was huge - I cant recommend them enough and my vet was really impressed with the recovery of her leg.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks everyone, some great ideas there!
I do have a set of the Summer Whinney socks, but they don't fit him well at all. I think they are made for dainty American hooves, not gallumping UK ones. He is TB, but over 17hh and with quite chunky legs - the socks just sort of peel up the way away from the sore bits and I didn't find a way of keeping them in place :-(

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was going to suggest Silver whinneys but see you have them already. That annoying they don't fit as they were really helpful with my horses vasculitis. Might silver spray help?