aarrg sweet itch....help

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
new loan horse has sweet itch quite badly on her mane, have tired various fly repellents and benyl benzotate doesnt seem to be working
frown.gif
(might try higher dosage ???)
the vets want me to try giving her 200 tablets twice a day but her owner really doesnt want her on them as they will make her drowsy.

I was told bathing in hibi scrub helps?????
I'm open to any suggestions. she is in during the day and out at night with fly rug on 24/7 which i KNOW IS NOT IDEAL but in this heat i really cant leave her out during the day and dont like keeping her in 24 hours a day.she will go out during the day when it cools down

please help guys im nearing breaking point with this as i hate seeing her suffer
frown.gif

hussar

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
new loan horse has sweet itch quite badly on her mane, have tired various fly repellents and benyl benzotate doesnt seem to be working
frown.gif
(might try higher dosage ???)
the vets want me to try giving her 200 tablets twice a day but her owner really doesnt want her on them as they will make her drowsy.(

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean the benzyl benzoate is in tablet form? Have you tried the liquid - it works well on my sweet-itch sufferer. Also Avon Skin So Soft bath oil (diluted) keeps the midges at bay. What fly sheet are you using?

sojeph

Visit site
Is it a fly sheet you're using or a sweet itch rug? I would recommend a proper sweetitch blanket-close fitting so nothing can get in!! If the midges can't bite your horse won't get the itch. Net Tex Sweet Itch Salve Complete is good but messy but there are plenty of alternatives. Midges are poor fliers so if you can fit a fan to her stable that will help. Try this site for info www.sweetitch.com.
Electric fencing round her paddock will stop her itching-she can still roll to relieve the itch but she won't be able to rub madly on anything specific and make herself sore. Mine are out 24/7-if they have some shade they should be fine(although mine don't use it). Being in a stable means she has more opportunities to rub.

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is it a fly sheet you're using or a sweet itch rug? I would recommend a proper sweetitch blanket-close fitting so nothing can get in!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Which her owner should be supplying for her, as she obviously suffered from sweet itch when you loaned her!
frown.gif

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
I tried the benzyl benzotate in liquid form.....nothing
frown.gif

she has a royston fly rug and the owner cant afford a sweet itch rug (part of the reason shes loaning her is her finances)

vets rang back and said they do a sweet itch cream so im going to try that....poor girl made herself really sore where she has been sratching
frown.gif
...............roll on winter is all i can say

flyingfeet

Visit site
You can get a cheaper Boett type rug here

You really do need something purpose built for the job - normal fly rugs leave too many gaps and don't protect the belly.

Also feeding Brewers yeast (or Marmite) is proving to be very effective

sojeph

Visit site
What material is your sweet itch rug made off CotswoldSJ? It looks shinier than the Boett. Is it breathable?

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What material is your sweet itch rug made off CotswoldSJ? It looks shinier than the Boett. Is it breathable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes its breathable and seems to have a cetain amount of wicking properties too. It's not actually shiney either.

I think the material is thinner than a boett (although haven't actually bought a boett). However I fully electric fence and tend to use a white fly rug on top of this so never had a problem with the fabric.

Only problem I have is worrying when it rains in spring / autumn that they could get a chill. However I think that would happen with all sweet itch rugs.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
A pony at a previous yard was given a marmite sandwich every day, which seemed to help. Marmite you either love it ot hate it - He loved it, guess midges hate it!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

threeponies

Visit site
Try mixing your benzyl with calamine lotion (half and half) and add some lavender oil and tea tree oil. Also wash the pony's mane and tail with either hibiscrub or tea tree shampoo once a week. NAF Midge Off is pretty good too.