Abatoirs

vieshot

Visit site
Where are these? Is it always broken down, old horses that go there or are there foals etc? Can you buy from them if you ever wanted to? Not that i want to lol, i already have 2 horses to look after!
xxx

jewel

Visit site
you can buy from abatoirs but as someone just said in another post they all go there for a reason so there best left there

vieshot

Visit site
Yeah but like what reasons? Do ex-racehorses that cant be rehomed go there? Sorry i dont know much about these places
xxx

spaniel

Visit site
There are very few licesnsed slaughter houses in the UK now (thank to this stupid government meddling again). All types end up going for a variety of reasons. Some horses are bred to be fattened and sent directly there (although its not really admitted in this country). I know full well there is a market in smaller breeds which end up being fattened in ireland then shipped back to the UK for slaughter for meat money once they have some weight on them. Waste from herds (so youngsters and oldies) also go through and very occasionally you will come across someone who works int he trade that has spotted something with potential as its come off the wagon, taken it home and ended up with a good one. It really doesnt happen often though.

Its not a nice thing to think but in all honesty any half decent horse will sell through the standard channels so looking for a bargain at the knackers is a very, very big gamble.

On mailand Europe where breeding specifically for meat is more common, thousands of horses go through abbatoirs and this is where some of the dealers at the cheaper end of the market buy their stock, they make a big profit on a horse that hasnt been bred for anything other than its ability to weigh in on the hook so the quality isnt there. They are often the crosses with a bit more substance.

Id steer well clear in both cases!

vieshot

Visit site
riding school near me has a pony called Bounce because apparently he was destined to be made into Bounce dog food! Apparently anyway....

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Very occaisionally when we are there we see a horse that you think "why is that one here?" but there will probably be a very good reason be it behavioural or physical. Whilst it is heart-breaking its just not worth the risk. TBH not sure if the abattoir would sell on to someone who just turned up.

Like Spans says there are quite a few hairy pony youngsters of none-descript breeding that turn up. Most horses are ex-racers with knackered legs or old brood mares that are no longer holding on to foals. Dealers often off load the horses they cannot sell. The odd family horse, polo pony or eventer type turns up from private homes.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
As most horse abbatoirs are run by people who know horses well, the ones which they buy from sales etc, which are of use will be sold on through dealers or adverts. If people want them to take their horses specifically to be put down they will and will usually do so by appointment. They will also come to you for a fee. They will also deal with horses that have died. IMO they do an incredibly valuable job.

Loopy_laura

Visit site
HorseKillers.com ..... dont go there if you have a weak tummy like me! its horrid and has as well as making me want to puke it made me cry. i turned it off after about 2mins.

dieseldog

Visit site
There are 2 licensed horse abatoirs left in England. One is in Somerset and I don't know where the other one is. When we have put ours down we had to phone for an appointment and the last time there was a 3 week waiting list.

Loopy_laura

Visit site
there is a place in newark, that will come and shoot your horse for whatever reason and take it away, but i dont know what they do with them! not something i'd want to know to be honest.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
there is a place in newark, that will come and shoot your horse for whatever reason and take it away, but i dont know what they do with them! not something i'd want to know to be honest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares they are dead.

Stella

Visit site
It sounds heartbreaking, particularly the old brood mares/family horses. You'd think when they have given so much, someone would care enough to give them a nice retirement or at least have them put down peacefully at home. Anything to squeeze the last few quid out of the poor creature I suppose
frown.gif

Lucy_Spring, how do you find yourself going there? I wouldn't even know where these places are.

Loopy_laura

Visit site
well actually i love my horse to bits and i think even when hes dead i wouldnt want him being butchered! when i loose him i will want him treated with the respect and dignity he deserves. TBH i feel this way about all horses. .... think its called compassion.

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds heartbreaking, particularly the old brood mares/family horses. You'd think when they have given so much, someone would care enough to give them a nice retirement or at least have them put down peacefully at home. Anything to squeeze the last few quid out of the poor creature I suppose
frown.gif

Lucy_Spring, how do you find yourself going there? I wouldn't even know where these places are.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a matter of squeezing the last penny out of a horse, the cash is £200 hardly worth it once you taken the horse there. It's more to do with the fact that most people keep their horses at livery and can't bury them etc. But for me once a horse is dead its dead, it's not going to be happier because you stuck it in some hole in the ground.

If you want to find an abatoir look in the back of H&H

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I do equine veterinary research and we take samples from the tendons of horses euthansed at the abattoir and conduct research into the treatments and prevention of tendon injuries. Its not a nice place to go to, but the guys who run it are very compassionate and each horse is treated with dignity.

The only abattoirs that are licenced to kill horses are Taunton, Romford and one in Cheshire (can't think off the top of my head where it is).

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a matter of squeezing the last penny out of a horse, the cash is £200 hardly worth it once you taken the horse there. It's more to do with the fact that most people keep their horses at livery and can't bury them etc. But for me once a horse is dead its dead, it's not going to be happier because you stuck it in some hole in the ground.

If you want to find an abatoir look in the back of H&H

[/ QUOTE ] I understand that, I'm also at livery and don't have the facility to bury mine. I don't have a problem with sending them for meat when they are shot at home (I wouldn't with my mare, I'd go for incineration but its a personal thing), I just think it must be unecassarily stressful for such a sensitive animal to go live to the Abatoir to meet its end.

dieseldog

Visit site
No, its not stressful. When we took ours they didn't have a clue and walked very happily into the barn where they were PTS

charlene

Visit site
This may sound nostalgic to a few of you but to those it does - i do not care. I find the comment
'there dead who cares' deeply disturbing to somebody who uses this website and poses as a horse lover. Most of us on here do care, and do not want some horse eating person who lives abroad eating our horses flesh whether it knows about it or not as I feel it is deeply immorral. A horse to most people is their pet, just as a cat or dog is. A horse to somebody on here could be almost as important as a family member, by least virtue it is considered as their faithful friend.

I understand that people have different view points and I know that abbatoirs do a service to the few horse loving owners that cannot afford cremation or just dont want to. But you must remember death is a sensitive issue to most people so when you say'its dead...who cares' a lot do believe it or not.

Weezy

Visit site
Am afraid I am in the "once it is dead, it is dead" category. I sent Stan to the hounds and whilst an Abbatoir wouldnt be my first port of call, if needs must then needs must. As DD said, you can sign the passport to ensure it does not go for meat.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This may sound nostalgic to a few of you but to those it does - i do not care. I find the comment 'there dead who cares' deeply disturbing to somebody who uses this website and poses as a horse lover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of us grew up in a time where the hunt was the only way to dispose of a horse. Others of us have seen a number of horses put down, and have come to a different conclusion than you! To me a body is merely a vehicle for life on earth - much the same way I have no problem with my horses body being used after death, I have no problem with my body being used - infact I would love all my organs, bones, and body parts to be harvested and given to people in need and if something funky happened to me, they are more than welcome to have a good slice and dice to figure out what went wrong.

It does not mean I love my horse any less than anyone here or am an inferior owner.

Weezy

Visit site
Indeed GTs. We lost close to 100 horses when we had Peste Equina on our yard in Spain, and we had to pick the carcasses up with a JCB and dump them in a huge hole in the ground and burn them. When you have done that for the 9th time in a day you tend to get more grounded about death!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Horses are there for a reason!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always! I've known of alot of ex racers go there who have fairly minor injuries but whose owners refuse to wait whilst it has 4/5/6 months off.

GTs

Visit site
I saw so a number of horses die at the equine hospital, some just drop dead, some dead on the table, some you were pleased to see die, lots euthanized - even euthanized one myself (which I later learnt was healthy and belong to a neurotic horse owner
frown.gif
)

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There are 2 licensed horse abatoirs left in England. One is in Somerset and I don't know where the other one is. When we have put ours down we had to phone for an appointment and the last time there was a 3 week waiting list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turners in Cheshire is another.

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Horses are there for a reason!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always! I've known of alot of ex racers go there who have fairly minor injuries but whose owners refuse to wait whilst it has 4/5/6 months off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out here people say race horse slaughter this and race horse slaughter that - race horses out here make up for less than 10% of horses slaughtered, and the only organization that has programs to ensure the horses well being after retirement.

I am sure you will find similar numbers in England - yes historically that might have been the case, but now it is very different, and racing should be praised for the stance they have taken! Infact racing organizations in the US are the only large equine organizations that support the ban of slaughter.