Aberdeen people

khalswitz

Visit site
TBH the hackings pretty poor imo. You have direct access to railway line but if its nice everyone and their dog(literally lol) are out. And since they tarmaced it you have the racers on their bikes which annoy EVERYONE as they stop for nothing. Also now (a very recent addition) have a council wifey counting horseshit and complaining about that cos 1 or 2 people complained(it was just 1 or 2 that was what woman said)
You are in a better position if your lad is good in traffic as you can cross the main road to access more but there is a lot of roadwork to get to off road areas.On plus side Tillyoch hackable if you want to compete a bit but no transport.

brucea who knows lots of rumours as to why but don't really know

I've been very lucky with hacking where I am now - literally straight onto the forestry over the Cairn o'mount, so I knew it wouldn't be as good. He is very good in traffic, so that's not a problem. Yeah, Tillyoch being so close was a big bonus - and being able to school all winter instead of getting frozen over!

brucea

Visit site
Basically because the farmer that owns it's can't be bothered anymore, dealing with a livery yard

No reason but that.

Well I've known Roddy for many years. I was one of the first liveries there in the old blocks at the front, and have put a fair bit of sweat into various projects with him

He wouldn't be closing down because he "can't be bothered". Guess he'll focus on the cattle and maybe build some more accommodation.

khalswitz

Visit site
Well I've known Roddy for many years. I was one of the first liveries there in the old blocks at the front, and have put a fair bit of sweat into various projects with him

He wouldn't be closing down because he "can't be bothered". Guess he'll focus on the cattle and maybe build some more accommodation.

'Can't be bothered with liveries' doesn't necessarily mean cba, but maybe he's had his fingers burnt a bit and decided its not worth the hassle?

brucea

Visit site
'Can't be bothered with liveries' doesn't necessarily mean cba, but maybe he's had his fingers burnt a bit and decided its not worth the hassle?

I know the history of the yard and was there for a fair number of years myself. I left that yard for a number of reasons but mainly because having 3 horses and 2 children, losing the small stable block at the front made it unworkable.

Problem is it is tough to keep the yard affordable, keep enough staff to give the liveries the service they need and supply hay and straw - add to that lighting and insurance costs - it's a hard business to make work.

If it was an easy business to turn a profit from then there would be many more livery yards than there currently are wouldn;t there. AND horsey folks sometimes are not the easiest to deal with to be honest :eek:

khalswitz

Visit site
I know the history of the yard and was there for a fair number of years myself. I left that yard for a number of reasons but mainly because having 3 horses and 2 children, losing the small stable block at the front made it unworkable.

Problem is it is tough to keep the yard affordable, keep enough staff to give the liveries the service they need and supply hay and straw - add to that lighting and insurance costs - it's a hard business to make work.

If it was an easy business to turn a profit from then there would be many more livery yards than there currently are wouldn;t there. AND horsey folks sometimes are not the easiest to deal with to be honest :eek:

I completely agree there. My current YO just has three liveries on her farm, and finds that time and money draining enough... that's without staffing and ours are all turned out 24/7. I don't envy running a yard!!!

Mithras

Visit site
I always considered the closeness of the countyside to Aberdeen City to be one of the main reasons for moving and staying there. The Countesswells area in particular is a rarity that I cannot believe is ring sacrificed to more identikit housing. How sad that places like Denburn, Hayfield and Loanhead will become a thing of distant memory.

I suppose its too much to hope that some suburban railway lines will be built at the same time, so that it doesn't turn into yet another gridlocked mess? I hate the failing British planning/zoning system.

khalswitz

Visit site
I always considered the closeness of the countyside to Aberdeen City to be one of the main reasons for moving and staying there. The Countesswells area in particular is a rarity that I cannot believe is ring sacrificed to more identikit housing. How sad that places like Denburn, Hayfield and Loanhead will become a thing of distant memory.

I suppose its too much to hope that some suburban railway lines will be built at the same time, so that it doesn't turn into yet another gridlocked mess? I hate the failing British planning/zoning system.

I know, it's such a shame. But with houses selling the way they are.... two of my friends are house hunting at the moment, and flats in town are going for 25% over the asking price, with generally about 10-15 offers... so they will keep building unfortunately. However, just because Loanhead is closing doesn't mean we are losing Countesswells - there are half a dozen small livery yards around Loanhead and between Loanhead and Hayfield, so hopefully we won't lose them all... it's Loanhead as an event venue that will be the big hit, I think. With Tillyoch being so expensive, most of the RC stuff will end up over at the Cabin or Fountain, now :(

TequilaMist

Visit site
I know, it's such a shame. But with houses selling the way they are.... two of my friends are house hunting at the moment, and flats in town are going for 25% over the asking price, with generally about 10-15 offers... so they will keep building unfortunately. However, just because Loanhead is closing doesn't mean we are losing Countesswells - there are half a dozen small livery yards around Loanhead and between Loanhead and Hayfield, so hopefully we won't lose them all... it's Loanhead as an event venue that will be the big hit, I think. With Tillyoch being so expensive, most of the RC stuff will end up over at the Cabin or Fountain, now :(

I think Mithras is right.Its the end of an era with Loanhead and Hayfield closing If you look at their plans Countesswells etc are all earmarked for housing etc and once the bypass is built there will be no stopping them as they can access ground they couldn't before.Sadly I think yards will find it increasingly difficult to survive in the middle of housing estates esp if they can get a large amount of money for the ground for housing.
Oldfold also will close in near future and houses be built there (they allegedly have a date but don't quote me on that) so don't know where people will have easy access to a riding school if they can't relocate to a similiar place.
Think people will have to go farther out of Aberdeen to get livery.

khalswitz

Visit site
I think Mithras is right.Its the end of an era with Loanhead and Hayfield closing If you look at their plans Countesswells etc are all earmarked for housing etc and once the bypass is built there will be no stopping them as they can access ground they couldn't before.Sadly I think yards will find it increasingly difficult to survive in the middle of housing estates esp if they can get a large amount of money for the ground for housing.
Oldfold also will close in near future and houses be built there (they allegedly have a date but don't quote me on that) so don't know where people will have easy access to a riding school if they can't relocate to a similiar place.
Think people will have to go farther out of Aberdeen to get livery.

Sorry I didn't realise Hayfield was closing as well, John Crawford has always been at the front of the access development for horse riders in that area and I didn't realise he was giving up the ghost as well!! If both of them go, it won't be long until they all do... and Oldfold I didn't know about either.

I think the Blackburn-Inverurie corridor will end up the 'new' Countesswells, sad it's so much further out though. However, when you compare Aberdeen to Glasgow, Edinburgh or god forbid London then we still have livery fairly close to town even without the Countesswells yard...

TequilaMist

Visit site
Sorry I didn't realise Hayfield was closing as well, John Crawford has always been at the front of the access development for horse riders in that area and I didn't realise he was giving up the ghost as well!! If both of them go, it won't be long until they all do... and Oldfold I didn't know about either.

I think the Blackburn-Inverurie corridor will end up the 'new' Countesswells, sad it's so much further out though. However, when you compare Aberdeen to Glasgow, Edinburgh or god forbid London then we still have livery fairly close to town even without the Countesswells yard...

Don't think he's giving up think he'll relocate or thats the rumour. Who knows lol!!!.Don't know when just that it was going to I suppose a bit like Loanhead - its been 'closing' for years and years lol
Oldfold always was going to go but the knew that when they took it on.Again they will relocate but its finding somewhere suitable and accessable thats the problem.
Hopefully other livery yards will pop up to pick up gaps.

khalswitz

Visit site
Don't think he's giving up think he'll relocate or thats the rumour. Who knows lol!!!.Don't know when just that it was going to I suppose a bit like Loanhead - its been 'closing' for years and years lol
Oldfold always was going to go but the knew that when they took it on.Again they will relocate but its finding somewhere suitable and accessable thats the problem.

Hopefully!!! I'm from Banchory myself, and have always been surprised a big yard hasn't popped up out our way/between us and Aboyne. Being on the bus route would be ideal, and there's so much more space!

brucea

Visit site
I gave up on the livery yards I must admit. I have an agreement with a local farmer, I get a barn and field and he makes hay and hayage which I buy. Farmers could get smart with this - it's an opportunity for them to bring in some diverse cash

The rule is I have to do everything myself - including fencing and so on. We have no school or facilities - but a cattle court which is brilliant

BUT The problem is that with land zoned for housing - even 10 years out, landholders are reluctant to have horses on their land in any rental agreement in case they get the chance to sell and you'd be a liability I guess.

khalswitz

Visit site
I gave up on the livery yards I must admit. I have an agreement with a local farmer, I get a barn and field and he makes hay and hayage which I buy. Farmers could get smart with this - it's an opportunity for them to bring in some diverse cash

The rule is I have to do everything myself - including fencing and so on. We have no school or facilities - but a cattle court which is brilliant

BUT The problem is that with land zoned for housing - even 10 years out, landholders are reluctant to have horses on their land in any rental agreement in case they get the chance to sell and you'd be a liability I guess.

I've got mine at the moment on a farm, one of three liveries but YO's son used to compete so have a barn with stables and a floodlit sand school... however very out of the way unfortunately. Hence the move!!

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site

He's been planning to relocate for as long as I've known I think it was an issue with access. I am always amazed by the amount of hacking coming from a rural place with next to know access or livery yards :p

spookypony

Visit site
He's been planning to relocate for as long as I've known I think it was an issue with access. I am always amazed by the amount of hacking coming from a rural place with next to know access or livery yards :p

Well, I've been to a few meetings there recently, where the plans appeared to be moving forward in a somewhat practical way.

Mithras

Visit site
I must say I found the arrangement where you could pay for a very small fee to join the Hayfield Riding Club even if you weren't involved with the place any way, and use their indoor school when it wasn't in use by them really good. It really is an amazing resource on the edge of Aberdeen which is a big city, will be sad to see it go although it is hopefully just going to be relocation, unlike Loanhead :-(

spookypony

Visit site
That arrangement is still in place; it's super useful! I know they've been saying for ages that they'll be moving "in about 2 years", but I'm told that that really may be in the cards this time. I gather the land is secured, they have planning in principle, and there are lots of actual bits of paper with things drawn on them...they won't be going far, just to the other side of the park, so still with the same access to hacking. Just more convenient for buses!

EmmasMummy

Visit site
That arrangement is still in place; it's super useful! I know they've been saying for ages that they'll be moving "in about 2 years", but I'm told that that really may be in the cards this time. I gather the land is secured, they have planning in principle, and there are lots of actual bits of paper with things drawn on them...they won't be going far, just to the other side of the park, so still with the same access to hacking. Just more convenient for buses!

oHH, So, like near the cremitorium??