About to loan...help please with what I need to know

NR99

Visit site
As it says really flicking through the posts see tips for people about to loan their horse but would really appreciate help on what to expect, make sure I do as the loanee as I have never loaned a horse before. Who insures, who has passport (I presume me as we will be competing the horse).

Any useful pointers would be appreciated. BTW the horse is 13 rising 14.

Thanks
grin.gif

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
Mine is on loan to me (13 going on 14 too) and I have her passport and insure her as well. I buy all her tack (although she did come with tack as well but gave her owner back her saddle as it didn't fit me or Hattie).

Bascially, I treat Hattie as if she was my own horse and pay for her vet stuff, shoes, etc. Her owner pops in everynow and then and I send her updates by email just to let her know how we are doing but bascially she just lets me get on with it.

NR99

Visit site
Thanks for replying, re the insurance do you insure the horse as a loanee or does the owner insure it in her name and you pay, I just remember years ago a friend having to insure her horse as the loanee couldn't as not the owner but I presume things have moved forward since then,
grin.gif

Goya

Visit site
When I loaned my mare, she had an insurance policy in place by the owner already. The owner informed the insurance company of the change of "keeper" and where she was kept etc and I paid for it.
I was responsible for paying everything for her as if she was my own. I also kept in very regular touch with the owners, good and bad. I always let them know if she was lame or ill etc as well as all the sucesses we had together.

Hedwards

Visit site
I pay a sum to the owner for insurance - she has advised them of a change of keeper and yard etc. but it saves taking out a brand new policy etc. (my loan is not permenant only a couple of years).

Passport wise, the owner kept hold for the first three months and then passed it on to me.

I would suggest asking the owner to provide a list of what the horse requires and when, ie dates for vaccinations/teeth/back etc. (i didnt get this and took the owners word for it - turns out the teeth hadnt been done for 12+ months before i had him and i'm now faced with quite a big bill - although owner has agreed to go halves)

I treat the horse the same as if he was mine (appart from the teeth as that was a bit annoying!) if he needs anything new i buy it (but i will keep these items when he goes back). Get a full ittinery of what tack/equiptment will be coming with him.

Also i am totally open with the owner of my loan horse (not saying anyone else isnt), if he has a kick or a cut i send her a text as soon as i find out, she is really grateful for the updates, and because she has a new baby and cant get to see him as often as she would like i'll send regular text photos - which she really appreciates.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Insuring a loan horse is far better done by the person who is the keeper. NFu will insure a loan horse without any problem whatsoever. i had two on loan a couple of years ago and i just insured them in the same way as i would my own. just makes everything more straight forward when claiming. As the keeper you are legally required to hold the passport so you must insist on having that, although make sure the owner takes a full copy to keep for their peace of mind.

The loan horses I had came with only a head collar - which to be honest was the best way as then everything I bought was mine. if you get a loan horse with tack and it gets broken, or simply wears out things can become awkward. So I would replace what you want and send the other tack/rugs back(obviously do it tactfully or the owner will think you think their stuff is not decent).

I used to let the owner have monthly text updates and rang her if they had had the vet out for anything.