Abrupt halt - how do I fix this?

horsemad32

Visit site
So, the aids I'm giving are half halt then halt with seat aid, leg on slightly, close hands. There's something really wrong as we tend to halt on the forehand and too abruptly. My mare will halt just from my seat (again on the forehand), or I can add leg/hand into it but that doesn't change things much. Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? Or preferably what I SHOULD be doing? Thanks!

Fiona

Visit site
Sounds perfectly correct, I'd just lighten your aid until you get the result you want...

Is your mare built downhill, or should she theoretically be able to halt well???

Fiona

daisycrazy

Visit site
Try just growing your body upwards in preparation for the halt, then breathe out at the same time that you stop following the movement with your seat - but don't even think about resisting with the hand. This might work without doing anything else.

Another thing to try is to bring her back to a smaller and smaller trot/canter and just as she thinks she is about to halt, keep her in that very "small" pace for a few steps before pushing her on again - sometimes let her halt, sometimes don't. Abruptness is usually anticipation, evasion and/or excessive aids.