Abscess/poultice

chaps89

Visit site
Pony came in a bit slow on Thursday night, popped him in for tea and when I got him out 10 minutes later he was hopping.
He has what looks like a puncture wound right on the coronet band, though I wonder if it could be an abscess?
I dry poulticed thurs pm, hot tubbed and hot poultice fri am and cold poultice fri pm. Little bit of blood on the poultices.
When I took the poultice off last night, it/his hoof was still hot, is that normal? The coronet band where the poultice had been had also gone white, is that normal?

Just on my way back down now.

Do I just keep going with the poulticing and tubbing whilst there’s stuff coming out? Anything else I should be doing/know?
Fortunate enough not to have had many to deal with over the years so thought I’d double check here what I’m doing.

He stayed in thurs pm and looked pretty miserable but back out since and bright as a button.

51A9AA0C-8CA5-48CE-8193-C52D97E43566.jpeg

6B77896B-96A3-403D-956B-F881410FBCE2.jpeg

1674E561-9572-415C-A339-BF939C077DB8.jpeg

C798102D-C9D9-432B-9E6D-552F8BC93BAB.jpeg

Hollylee1989

Visit site
I'd wet poultice for 3 days, then dry. Keep tubbing his hoof too, Epsom salts are good. His band is white just from going soft from the poultice, completely normal. Keep doing what you're doing

Reactions: TPO

meleeka

Visit site
Normally the soreness will improve once it starts draining. The most painful time is when the pressure builds and has nowhere to go. I’d keep poulticing until tomorrow evening and then just hot tub twice a day. If it’s still draining Monday I’d ask the vet for advice.

chaps89

Visit site
Thankyou, that’s reassured me slightly.
He was sore again this morning and quiet. Not very obliging on having his foot tubbed but got there. On my way to buy a better tub!
How hot should the water be?

meleeka

Visit site
Thankyou, that’s reassured me slightly.
He was sore again this morning and quiet. Not very obliging on having his foot tubbed but got there. On my way to buy a better tub!
How hot should the water be?
Hand hot, so you could comfortably leave your whole hand in there to soak. I usually check with the back of my hand rather than my fingers.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't poultice coronet band exit wounds because gravity means they won't drain anyway. I flush then twice a day and soak the foot twice a day until a couple of days after the horse is sound. Then I continue to flush with a syringe of peroxide until the hole won't take it any more.

chaps89

Visit site
Noted, thankyou. Poultice was clean bar a pin prick of gunk tonight and he was fiesty. I’ll see how he is in the morning, farrier is out 8am Tuesday anyway but if he’s not happy again before then I’ll get a call in to the vets. Why always on a bank holiday?!

meleeka

Visit site
Noted, thankyou. Poultice was clean bar a pin prick of gunk tonight and he was fiesty. I’ll see how he is in the morning, farrier is out 8am Tuesday anyway but if he’s not happy again before then I’ll get a call in to the vets. Why always on a bank holiday?!
I doubt 24 hours will make too much difference. Unless he dramatically declines, I’d wait for the farrier.

chaps89

Visit site
Just for reassurance I rang the vets this morning for advice and to ask if they needed to come.
They’ve advised whilst he is bright and eating/pooing normally and his leg isn’t swelling and that the amount of stuff coming out onto the poultice is reducing, they’re happy it’s going in the right direction and to keep going as I am.
If anything changes I’ll go back to them. I would honestly never leave my horses without vet treatment :(

Hollylee1989

Visit site
Just for reassurance I rang the vets this morning for advice and to ask if they needed to come.
They’ve advised whilst he is bright and eating/pooing normally and his leg isn’t swelling and that the amount of stuff coming out onto the poultice is reducing, they’re happy it’s going in the right direction and to keep going as I am.
If anything changes I’ll go back to them. I would honestly never leave my horses without vet treatment :(

You're doing all the correct stuff, don't let anyone make you feel you'd leave your horse. If they do, ignore them!

Reactions: TPO