Abscess woe!

pistolpete

Visit site
Poor boy has an abscess I blooming hate poulticing. Top tips? Does tubbing the foot help? He is barefoot and has arthritis as well so looks lame front and back right now. :-(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I feel your pain! I thought yesterday that my Draft mare wasn't just quite right. Today she is obviously brewing an abscess, so we have tubbed in the hottest salt water she could stand, polticed with soap and sugar on a nappy held in place with vet wrap and a HorzCroc over that. She is now out in the field, in the hope that the exercise will help it to burst. Will contact farrier tomorrow, so much better with feet than the vet!
Farrier says that the heat of the water seems to ease the pain,
Tomorrow I will get some Epsom salts to add to the water and put on the police. It is one of the things we usually keep in but seem to have none left.

Buddy'sMum

Visit site
Is this your new boy (who is delicious btw)?
I always tub with Epsom salts before poulticing, it does help to draw out the gunk and as Pearlsasinger has said, they do seem to enjoy it so I think it must help with the pain. I use Animalintex, vetwrap and lots of duct tape.

smja

Visit site
Tubbing with hot salt water, then poultice (animalintex, nappy, lots of duct tape).

I've had mixed results with the poultice boots you can get, the best are the blue plastic ones (I think Shires?) but really, I prefer to go without boot unless needed. I use an overreach boot over the top of duct tape if horse likes to pull off bandages.

pistolpete

Visit site
Thanks everyone. No not the new boy thank goodness he is fine. It's my arthritis riddled 18 year old who looks 80 today :-(

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Vetrap, followed by lots of duct tape to keep everything in place. If the field is muddy, we used to then put a chopped down plastic feed sack on top with again lots more tape. Doesn't look pretty but it was always pretty effective, and you could always hear them coming!