Absinthe

les philo

Visit site
We have absinthe growing in the veggie garden to ward off insects from other plants. both my horses seem to like the softer parts of the plant. I have read that Absinthe is a wormer but I can't find. anywhere, if there is an optimum volume or a dangerous volume for them to eat. Any advice please?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The plant is more commonly called wormwood but it is used to make absinthe. It used to be used as a wormer, before pharmaceutical wormers were introduced.

If you google wormwood, you should find what you are looking for

les philo

Visit site
You haven't said anything I didn't know and I could spend a fortnight on google and no where does anyone give a straight answer to the question! Thanks anyway

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You haven't said anything I didn't know and I could spend a fortnight on google and no where does anyone give a straight answer to the question! Thanks anyway

So why did you call the plant absinthe? Wormwood is only one of the ingredients in absinthe, your horse should be fine to eat it, the plant doesn't grow to any real size. Just don't let the horse eat so much that the plant dies.

les philo

Visit site
I called the plant absinthe because that is it's name, or to be exact, Artemisia absinthium, wormwood is I believe it's common name. To be fair absinthe is the liquor. also clearly you haven't seen the size that the plant can grow to, it can get very large and very woody apparently the oils can be dangerous hence my question. I was seeking help as I can't find a definitive answer elsewhere!

Visit site
Im not sure why yo're being so rude les philo. PAS's reply to you was very informative given the information you gave in your first post.

Perhaps thanking PAS might be a nice idea rather than being rude (I hate rude people!).

Or perhaps just pop off and spend your fortnight on Google rather than on here if you cant play nicely!

Really informative PAS, I learnt something.

les philo

Visit site
Im not sure why yo're being so rude les philo. PAS's reply to you was very informative given the information you gave in your first post.

Perhaps thanking PAS might be a nice idea rather than being rude (I hate rude people!).

Or perhaps just pop off and spend your fortnight on Google rather than on here if you cant play nicely!

Hello "owned by 4 horses" I'm not sure why need to jump to PAS's support, I'm quite sure she is capable of defending her self. So just to make the point I was not being rude, I was stating facts and most of what has been said since my initial post has had no relevance to that first post!
So just to reiterate the question I was asking is how much Absinthe (not the drink) plant should or could I give to my horses with out any causing them any harm?
So replies to that question would be gratefully received.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

Thank you. We had a wormwood plant in our garden, for many years which didn't grow to be more than about 12" high but did become very woody and died off. No horse ever really bothered with more than a mouthful but perhaps that was because they didn't have much of a worm burden because we cross-graze with sheep.

It's interesting isn't it that a new poster should feel able to comment on the gender and abilities of those who answer their thread?

Auslander

Visit site
It's nasty stuff, which causes cumulative damage to the internal organs when used regularly, ie; when used as a wormer. Things have moved on since the Dark Ages, and it's possible to worm your horse with widely available, safe drugs that do the same job. You could even worm count, and reduce your use of worming drugs/toxic plants considerably.

Suggest you stop allowing your horses to eat it.

les philo

Visit site
Thank you. We had a wormwood plant in our garden, for many years which didn't grow to be more than about 12" high but did become very woody and died off. No horse ever really bothered with more than a mouthful but perhaps that was because they didn't have much of a worm burden because we cross-graze with sheep.

It's interesting isn't it that a new poster should feel able to comment on the gender and abilities of those who answer their thread?
Too be sure PAS had you replied with that answer in the first instance it would have been far more helpful!
According to the detail I have read the Absinthe plant can grow to a metre plus, although again that wasn't part of the question.
Regarding your last point, you may have to explain! Whether I am a new poster or not is irrelevant to your response, I can only comment on the response and your first was less than helpful. On the subject of gender, again I can only respond to what I see, but I do read the responses as carefully as I can and I try to reread them so as not to misunderstand, perhaps you might take that to heart?

les philo

Visit site
It's nasty stuff, which causes cumulative damage to the internal organs when used regularly, ie; when used as a wormer. Things have moved on since the Dark Ages, and it's possible to worm your horse with widely available, safe drugs that do the same job. You could even worm count, and reduce your use of worming drugs/toxic plants considerably.

Suggest you stop allowing your horses to eat it.
Thanks for that, and I am only trying to get a clear picture, but you suggest using "safe " drugs which here in France are being restricted because the worms are becoming resistant, so an add on I think might be useful, to be fair the horses don't mix with others and only have to deal with passing life in terms of worm introduction, if that's the right phrase. The articles I have read have been US based and they seem to extoll the virtues of Absinthe.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Because the herb is toxic and stresses the kidneys and liver .
Feeding horses toxic herbs is dangerous as you have no idea of the levels of the toxic stuff the horse will get .
Plants vary in toxicity according to the age of the plant the age of the leaves the amount of water it has had recently and the soil it is growing in , how much sun it gets to name a few things .
No herbalist however experienced is taking any more than a guess about these things .
Safe tested drugs exist to worm horses so why wing it with a poisonous Plant .

les philo

Visit site
Because the herb is toxic and stresses the kidneys and liver .
Feeding horses toxic herbs is dangerous as you have no idea of the levels of the toxic stuff the horse will get .
Plants vary in toxicity according to the age of the plant the age of the leaves the amount of water it has had recently and the soil it is growing in , how much sun it gets to name a few things .
No herbalist however experienced is taking any more than a guess about these things .
Safe tested drugs exist to worm horses so why wing it with a poisonous Plant .
Thanks for that and no I don't want to wing it which was I asked the question in the first place.

Goldenstar

Visit site
So know you know ,don’t even think about it .
there people are out there putting stuff on the internet who are herb evangelists they never seem to consider that some of the most toxic substances on earth are derived from plants .

les philo

Visit site
So know you know ,don’t even think about it .
there people are out there putting stuff on the internet who are herb evangelists they never seem to consider that some of the most toxic substances on earth are derived from plants .
but now you have just spoiled that because now you sound like a pharmaceutical evangelist! Of course there are many toxic substances that come from plants, but there are also many life saving substances that come from plants, in fact most pharmaceuticals are man made derivatives of plant extract! More precise probably and more easily produced. I think there, no I know from personal experience, there is a place for both, it is about the balance and that was what I was hoping to get from this.

Auslander

Visit site
Thanks for that, and I am only trying to get a clear picture, but you suggest using "safe " drugs which here in France are being restricted because the worms are becoming resistant, so an add on I think might be useful, to be fair the horses don't mix with others and only have to deal with passing life in terms of worm introduction, if that's the right phrase. The articles I have read have been US based and they seem to extoll the virtues of Absinthe.

The US also elected Trump president - just sayin.
Faecal egg count is the way to go - if your horses test clear, then you shouldn't have problems

les philo

Visit site
The US also elected Trump president - just sayin.
Faecal egg count is the way to go - if your horses test clear, then you shouldn't have problems
Yep and the UK voted for Brexit and Boris- just sayin! But to be fair at least you have replied sensibly to the question and I thank you for your input, I will be doing more research.