Absolutely desperate to start film/stunt riding

xCiaraGx

Visit site
Does anyone know if its possible to get a Film Riding/ Stunt Riding type Apprenticeship (UK- NORTH/WEST YORKSHIRE )?
If anyone can drop a name to me or anything! I'm willing to work my way up. The company in question would gain a passionate, intuitive and brave young groom/rider!
It's my dream to work with film/stun horses!

Hawks27

Visit site
I don't know anywhere locally but the devils horseman advertise for staff on yard and groom, and the other one ive seen his the horse combat academy they do archery and such on horseback they both look amazing but well beyond my ability.
If your old enough they take live in staff I believe

Hawks27

Visit site
After thought is it worth talking to the royal armouries in Leeds if you want to stay local might be worth a try as a starting point before moving onto something more adventurous like the other 2 I mentioned.
Failing that come to teach my horse to be a stunt daredevil pony as he is currently a big wimp :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Some things to bear in mind: 90% of stunt riding requires male riders. You will need to be much more than just a rider to get on the stunt register (and you will not get work unless you are on the register). Of course there are always jobs working with stunt horses, just as with all horses there is plenty to do behind the scenes :). Before launching yourself at the industry I would suggest doing a great deal of research and talking to people who are already working with stunt horses. PM me if you would like some names.

Umbongo

Visit site
If you are willing to move, these guys are looking for a trainee jousting knight and trick rider. Doesn't specify male, but they may need a male rider to be a jousting knight?? They are also looking for a table hand and show crew. They also offer work experience if you want to see what it is like to work in that sort of career? http://www.horsebackcombat.co.uk/Work-with-us-.html

But I would also agree with Cortez, I think a lot of stunt riding/film riding is mainly male based. There may be a lot more work available to work with stunt horses behind the scenes however. I would also strongly suggest research into the job if you haven't done so already.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
OP sorry to pour cold water on your aspirations.......... but these sorts of jobs and/or apprenticeships are going to be very few and far between. sorry if stating the obvious but you will need to be not only a VERY good rider who's ridden a great many horses and lived to tell the tale but also with a seat like glue and nerves of steel, but you will also have to be experienced at "performing" whilst riding as well, not as easy as it sounds.

Your best bet, I would have thought, would be to get into something like gymnastics, circus skills, horse-vaulting, or something along those lines, because these are the skills you will utilise if you are going to do stunt riding. Or perhaps - if you're the right weight; consider apprenticing yourself to one of the Racing yards as you will then be getting trained in an equine industry plus racing will teach you how to fall (VERY important!!!).

But in the first instance, I'd be getting a broad-based training in the equine industry as a whole; and that is going to mean getting on the end of a shovel!! If you then decide that you really want to progress into getting qualifications, then I think you'd be at the right time now to apply for one of the equestrian colleges for September entry........... and get your qualifications and see what sort of careers are around in the equine industry.

Another idea for you, if you are serious about this: is to get a job working for a dealer - you will be expected to get up on some very challenging horses, and present them well to potential clients. You will have to have a good firm seat, hands like silk, and nerves of steel; and be confident at dealing with ANY horse you may be asked to ride. All good skills for stunt riding!

Another option is to consider the military route: i.e. The Kings Troop, cavalry regiments - but be aware that they get way way more applicants than spaces they can offer. But you would end up with a thorough training in horsemanship plus having a military training would be invaluable.

I don't think you'll find there's an easy way in; I don't know how old you are, or how much research you've done, but jobs like this are not as glamourous as you might think!! Unless you get a lucky break like knowing someone on a film set or who can vouch for your ability, you'll be unlikely to land a job doing "stunt riding" without having had to start at the bottom and work up, and you should also be prepared for the fact that you risk serious, possibly life-threatening, injury from doing it.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
A girl from our Pony Club went on to be a stunt girl. Obviously she was a good rider, and I think she did triathlon as well, so she could swim, shoot and was physically fit and strong.

All good advice from the above replies.

stormox

Visit site
I started by working for a company who supplied horses and carriages for films, Hammer Horror, Young Winston, Anne of a thousand Days, etc etc.They also did weddings and funerals. I started by being a groom on film sets- if a pair was used a groom was always needed, and a four-in-hand 2 grooms, then started driving the singleas and pairs. From there as I was small was asked to double for Sarah Miles ( who was a brilliant rider and used her own crazy horse, but the film insurance wouldnt let her ride). By doing that I was able to get an equity card and could have gone on to doing freelance film riding but to get on the stunt register I would have had to be able to do some special tricks or been able to do other stuff- stair falls, parachute jumps, fencing... the more things you can do the more likely you are to get on the register. But after 6 years working on the films I had had enough early mornings, night-for-day filming, long boring days when we were never used, etc and gave it up to work in an office and have my own horse...

Spottyappy

Visit site
My daughter worked for the Devils horsemen.
She was mainly a groom, but she had the opportunity to ride in the shows they put on at their own premises, but not the stunts.
She also exercised the impeccably behaved horses daily, so it wasn't just endless mucking out.
It was a fabulous opportunity, but sadly the pay was not fabulous to match so she moved on,

BBP

Visit site
I had a trick riding apprenticeship of sorts with one of the top stunt riders. I trained for 3 hours a day and my body hurt in ways I couldn't even begin to tell you! i was a bit doomed from the start as not long after I'd committed myself to it (he barely took any students on, I was one of two that year I think, only people he thought were capable of going on to perform with him) I slipped a disc. So every single move I made was agony. Essentially that halted my career before I started it, the disc injury was so severe that no matter how badly I wanted it my body couldn't do all those tricks at a gallop and get out safely. So not a career with prospects if you injured yourself!

At the time I was a pole dancer and personal trainer which gave me a great grounding in terms of strength and core stability. I was also used to riding eventing fit TBs and a stunt horse who I ride in horse boarding. You need serious guts though, that bits true! Centre for horseback combat were looking for someone a while ago.

Good luck!

foraday

Visit site
Devil's Horsemen were looking for someone at their base at Mursely in Bucks near Milton Keynes.

Like others have said you have to be a super fit awesome horse rider!

I have several friends in the Devils Horsemen and most of them have done it for donkeys and their families have all followed in their fathers footsteps so to speak.

Would move there and give it your all but the pay isn't great but it is an opportunity of a lifetime