Absolutely gutted :-(

TicTac

Visit site
Some of you may be aware that my mare Tictac had a kissing spine operation 18 months ago to remove 4 dorsal spinous tops. The outcome of that operation was very successful and she came back into work a better happy horse.

BUT in april this year she went lame in her off fore. Today I picked her up from the veterinary clinic after her lamesness work up to be told she has arthritis in her coffin joint and that she will only ever be suitable as a light hack, If that!

I have no insurance on her front legs now so allthough she had a joint injection today, I wont be able to afford that on a regular basis. She can have Danillon to keep her comfortable.

I'm a bit numb at the moment to think too much about her future other than if any of you wonderful folk on here have any experience of this kind of problem I would be happy to hear from you. Good or bad...........off for another cry now :-(

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Oh no. So sorry to hear that. I'm afraid that I don't know anything likely to be of any use here, but there may well be someone on here with some good advice. All I can say is look into everything everyone suggests because you never know what might work. X

Littlelegs

Visit site
Sorry, no advice but just wanted to say how sad that is. Hopefully someone else has a positive experience for you.

Parker79

Visit site
Oh thats tough, I do not know how bad the arthritis is but a few on our yard manage very well and are hacking out regularly. I know that numb feeling, hopefully as time passes and you work out what she can do, you will feel a little more positive

TicTac

Visit site
Thank you all. I have eyes like red golf balls at the moment. I will do my research but ultimately will do what's best for my horse. She is a bright and clever girl who needs a job to do and will not be happy as a field ornament. It is early days yet but unfortunately she has the worst kind of arthritis ( refered to as articular ringbone) I think .

kezimac

Visit site
feel so gutted for you to have gone through all that, my horse has 8 touching verterbrae and has had back medicated - cant go any further with back treatment as mine is currently lame on off fore and waiting for that to come sound before can continue with back, so i know a small amount of what you have been through.

Tiffany

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your girl after going through and recovering from a kissing spines op. Sorry I can't offer any advice just ((((hugs)))) for you both.

TicTac

Visit site
At the moment the ground is very soft ( and I wonder why?!!) so I wont worry too much about her being without shoes which were taken off for the x rays. I have spoken to my farrier and he is happy with that decision as he says that her hoof capsule is good anyway. Bar shoes are no good for her and hindered more than helped when they were put on last summer.

I do find that some vets can be very doom and gloom sometimes and dont give credit to the power of love that us horsey people give to our beloved animals.

I will give her time to re adjust and when it bl**dy well stops raining get back on and start our walks in the countryside again.

When I said to my daughter why, when I love my horses so much do they always go wrong? she said " Perhaps you're meant to love the one's that go wrong because no body else will. Ticcy loves you and I'm sure she will try her hardest to let you still ride her " Now that made me smile.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I'm very sad to hear this :(

I think you're right to just take things as they come for now. I know you'll always do the right thing by her as she is very much loved. Good luck to you both.

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear your news. My friend went through coffin joint arthritis with her lad.

We found that turnout and surfaces were critical to his health. It also depends on the severity, and whether there is any arthritis in any other joints.

Good luck, tictac will let you know what she can do.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
So sorry, I had a cob with articular ringbone. I'd only owned him a few months when he went lame. He was only 11, he had his coffin joints injected twice sadly he was still lame. Very bad turning and was on 2 bute twice a day but sadly it didn't help. He couldn't even walk from the field when we made the decision to PTS, I'd only had him for 11 months. Sorry it's bad news as there is some success stories but not mine sadly. Hope yours is better xx

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Oh heck I am so sorry! As you know I suffered a massive setback with my gelding after a KS op and now he has developed a sarcoid toboot! I really feel for you. What terrible news. Can she have steroid injections? These are usually only £250 often only once or at most twice a year. I have no experience of coffin joint lameness. It just seems so unfair after everything you have both gone through.

zaminda

Visit site
My ex's mare had kissing spine, she then went lame in front following succesful surgery, not arthritis but badly damaged fetlock, then seemed lame in front again, this time diagonal pair hind fetlock, then lame in front, thought it was the fetlock joint, but this time the coffin joint. She has had adaquan into the joints, three injections each a week apart into each joint and has been fine ever since. She has a fan club at the vets, as she has been written off so many times, with other issues too, and just keeps coming back. Try to keep cheerful, its so hard, but they do surprise you.
By the way I have been told by 2 seperate people that my pony has arthritis, including one vet, however he doesn't.