Absolutely Heartbroken...don't know what to do!

mrsew

Visit site
Just found out today that my beautiful boy's heart murmur is pretty severe. He is in no pain or discomfort what so ever - excellent news, however due to electronic pulses in work he is a bit like an unexploded bomb and heart could give up at any time or it might not! Of course the vets have air on the side of caution and recommend he be retired. He is 19 but looks a picture of health and nowhere near his years (this is the opinion of others not just me) He loves his work and being a glorified lawnmower would not be his idea of a good time and I certainly wouldn't have him PTS. Sorry I know there are people/ ponies a lot worse off I just love him so much and want everything to be ok!!

Nari

Visit site
(((Hugs))).

It does sound like the vets are right & it wouldn't be safe to ride him. That doesn't mean you can't take him walks in hand though, or try something like Parelli (I'm not normally a fan but in this case it may keep him occupied). Sometimes it's surprising how well they take to being retired though, a long as they still get the same love & attention they don't always miss the work.

tikino

Visit site
im so sorry to hear your new at least you found out before its to late. i had a friend whose horse collapse and died while we where out a hack it nearly landed on top of her and she could have been killed. he had a pm and turned out to be a massive heart condition but he had no symtoms.

digitalangel

Visit site
have you had the heart investigated - ie ultrasound?

my boy has a grade 3-4 heart murmur, but it was investigated and found innocent. without investigation, they would have told me to retire or pts.

flowerlady

Visit site
I'm sorry about your horse but it is better to retire him from ridden work as if he went down he could injure you or someone else standing or passing by. Could you not do in hand work with him?

scotlass

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear about your horse. I made the heartbreaking decision to PTS my warmblood last December after a heart condition was found during an operation on his foot. At his follow up, he was still slightly lame, but his heart murmur had deteriorated quite severely, and as he was only ten, had only been castrated the year before so was not a candidate for field ornament, after discussion with the hospital, my vet and the insurance company, I made the decision that it would not be fair. The whole thing haunted me for months (especially as I was grieving at the time for my beloved elderly show pony, who had died suddenly four weeks before), but I know I did the right thing for him.

Sorry my story wasn't more positive, but you know your horse the best and only you can make the decision.

mrsew

Visit site
Hi Digitalangel, yes had the full monty scan today and it is the electronic pulses that are causing concern.....it's all a bit of a blur at the moment as before the scan it was just a grade 3 murmur (still pretty scary to me!) that as you say are normally ok. I'm just in shock....he looks fabulous, and of course I want him to be ok, I would give him my heart if I could! Thank you for your post. Sxx

mrsew

Visit site
Thank you all, yes will try the in-hand work and some Parelli. & thank you too for not BS'ing me and saying all would be ok (albeit that people do the wrong thing for the right reasons) Thank you so much. Sxxxxxxx

digitalangel

Visit site
Mrsew im so sorry that investigation proved it was non-innocent.

As you mention electrical pulses i have to wonder if your horse might have atrial fillibration which is not as bad as something like mitral regurgitation. I myself suffer from AF!

It can be caused by aenemia, im assuming youve had bloods done? AF can be treated with drugs, there is an OK success rate, tho it can be dangerous to administer.

Given that your horse seems so healthy would it not be worth getting a second opinion?

mrsew

Visit site
Thanks Digitalangel. No from what the vet said today he's not got the AF yet, but this could develop...there was so much information coming through in the phone call I couldn't take it all in....vet is going to send me copy of written report. I have had bloods done but they have come back OK. My OH has suggested second opinion (bless him seeing as he normally moans so much about time spent with the boy!) but how would you go about getting one. Hubbie has even suggested taking him down to Newmarket. Thank you again for taking the time to post. Sxx

digitalangel

Visit site
oh you poor thing

*hands you a nice cup of tea*

it is rather a lot to take in isnt it. If i were in your situation i would waitg for the report, research then if appropriate, get a 2nd opinion.

good luck, will be thinking of you x.

sye777

Visit site
Firstly really sorry to hear your news, my old TB boy was diagnosed and retired at 18. He was competing in dressage (elementary) and loved his job. That was 6 years ago! He was and still is a grumpy old man
crazy.gif
however has settled into his routine well. In the past 6 years he has sadly lost both of his companions. I will not bother him with a new companion. We have tried and failed miserably and they now stay way out of sight and reach! The other two horses (youngsters) he will tolerate at a distance but has little patience for and will not share a field with so are seperated by some electric fencing. He is happy and rules the roost. If he wants company he grazes near them but to be honest is happier on his own......I do believe he just prefers our company which he has at his disposal! He is stabled at night as he will not stay out at night alone and frets despite refusing to bond with another horse!!
Wishing you lots of luck with your horse and dont worry, they do adapt, just not always in a way to make your life easy!!!

kendra2705

Visit site
hi sorry to hear about your horse , but if i can ask what made you have his heart tested in the first place ,my mare is 16 and she is non stop its crossed my mind about her heart and what would happen if she had a problem and i didnt know , can you just ask your vet for a test ? also parreli is a great idea you can build a lovely bond with him , he is lucky to have you xx

No1_in_particular

Visit site
Sorry to hear your news.........
Don't work him. give him his retirement that he does deserve....... try him with it...... I was positive that my old man wouldn't like being out of work. but a bad time in my life meant I had to move him to different accomodation. field 24/7..... He inherited a pet shtland and never looked back.......... He was spoiled completely and utturley throughout his retirement years - 6 of them! - and I don't regret a thing...... he still loved being groomed and fed and kissed and cuddled to bits........ let him enjoy himself....... he doesn't know he's not well!!
xxxx

atholl

Visit site
One of the horses I look after has a grade 4 heart murmur and has had for years. It has never seemed to bother him and he is 32 now.

I do think that this is his last summer as his suspensories have gone and he is not getting about as well as he should, but before the problem with his legs, he was ridden, albeit at a walk. He enjoyed his little outings and it made him feel as though he was still in work, I think.

I'd say that as long as you just hack him out at a walk, your horse is unlikely to fall on you if he does have a heart attack and you will both benefit from it.

I had a very elderly horse whom I still rode gently and quietly, and I used to contemplate what would happen if she keeled over while we were out, but then I thought that she would be doing what she really liked to do and I'd deal with the technicalities when and if it happened. It didn't - she died one night in her paddock at the age of 40.

Do what feels right, and if that is going out for walks, so be it. Good luck and love him.

traceyann

Visit site
please be careful a friend i used to know was killed just leading her horse to the field he had a heart attack and fell on her she didnt even know he had a heart problem because he was so bighad to wait firemen and special people to get the horse of her so very upsetting for everybody propley worst thing i ever seen

mrsew

Visit site
Thank you SS. He will be loved & cared for for as long as he wants to stay in this world. I'm lucky to have him and from the moment I knew he was going to be mine promised myself that I would care for him 'til the end however hard or whenever it would be. Sxx

Keltic

Visit site
My tb mare had a stroke and was left with a heart murmur, the vet said pts as she said dhe wouldnt last a month retired in the field. I refused to accept that and now 6yrs on she is as happy as larry!! Im sure she laughs when the cob gets ridden! She is a proper pampered princess!! She is now 29.
Good luck with your chap.

mrsew

Visit site
Thank you for your post Keltic - glad to hear your mare is still happy. Is she is your siggy? She looks gorgeous. My boy will be pampered as long as he wants to be. Thanks again. Sxx

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your horse mrsew.
Its a tough one, i don't really know how to advise as i know nothing of this condition, i think it would be best to retire your horse however for your safety from the sounds of the other posts made

barbaraann

Visit site
Be carefull our 18hh mare had atrial fib. and she died within a minute of a heart attack. My husband got of in time, but could easily have been killed. We miss her to this day. I have a brilliant vet who told us of the risks.