Absolutely Horrendous...

Mari

Visit site
So what’s the story behind this? This man is so kind with this foal & so right. Who put shoes on this foal? It obviously wasn’t him.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
So what’s the story behind this? This man is so kind with this foal & so right. Who put shoes on this foal? It obviously wasn’t him.

Hungry Horse Outside is a rescue centre (I got my companion pony from them) and the man in the video works / volunteers there. The post doesn't mention where the foal came from, but guessing from the "arrived at HHO" it may have been impounded on council / waste ground.

SpringArising

Visit site
Today we're looking after your little foal, we'll get his shoes pulled off him, we'll worm him and we'll feed him up, he'll see our vet, and we'll let him be a baby, his dead eyes and frightened look will fade in time, we'll repair the damage you did to him over his short life

I find this part so cringe-worthy and self-congratulatory.

Visit site
Today we're looking after your little foal, we'll get his shoes pulled off him, we'll worm him and we'll feed him up, he'll see our vet, and we'll let him be a baby, his dead eyes and frightened look will fade in time, we'll repair the damage you did to him over his short life

I find this part so cringe-worthy and self-congratulatory.
Unfortunately that seems to be a theme common to when people rescue animals. It is almost a fashionable thing to do.
I want a t-shirt that says I had rescue animals before it was cool; that is what is has become now I think and it's good in some ways, bad in others, e.g. lots of people 'rescuing' animals they don't have the resources to care for or claiming to have rescued something when actually they've just bought it.
The video/organisation above is genuine though I think - just as you say somewhat self congratulatory which is a shame because they're doing a good thing.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Unfortunately this isn't even all that unusual: some of the sulky horse trotters are yearlings or even younger. It's no good trying to talk to those lads, they have no brains, and absolutely no compassion either.

HHO are a good enough charity, they try their best, but like most rescues are overwhelmed.

P.S. I doubt whoever shod that little mite has even heard of a register.

paddi22

Visit site
i got in a sulkie in who has about 5 sets of shoes on each hoof (they had been worn down and were paper thin) that had been put on on top of each other with normal hardware nails. a lot of these folks just do it themselves. My poor farrier had to spend hours trying to pick out the nails, she was lucky to have no damage because they hadn't trimmed the hooves, they just tacked new shoes on on top. The shoes were literaly paper thin and you could snap them in two. Nothing surprises me with horses and rescue horses anymore

Snowfilly

Visit site
You'll also get a lot of registered farriers who'll gleefully nail shoes on little shire and Clyde weanlings and yearlings. The breed societies say they only need to be shod from 2 (2! What kind of shoes does an unbroke 2 year old need?) but there's plenty that are started much younger.

So if that's the work that proper licensed experts will lower themselves to, nothing in this side of the horse world would suprise me. It's not actually that hard to nail on a set of shoes sadly.

Reactions: TPO

Versatile

New User
Visit site
That video is what travellers do. No rrspect for horses and they never will. And theres no telling them either. Ireland have been up in arms about cruelty to animals and most of the cases that went viral were traveller ponies.

TPO

Visit site
At my last yard the YO permitted one livery's unqualified/not a farrier OH to shoe her (livery's) horses. It's a lot more common than you'd imagine :confused:

I haven't watched the video and agree with the outrage at shoeing youngsters but it happens in the open and "we" turn a blind eye to it. As mentioned they shoe heavy horses to make/exaggerate cow hocks- purposely changing limbs as they are growing for the show ring. Then there are racehorses; lots of very young (<2) animals backed, shod and in training. According to my last ex-racers racing groom he was backed/shod/in training at 16mths... I doubt this is uncommon

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I don’t find what they said ‘cringeworthy’ at all. Neither do I find it self congratulatory. They are now doing what the owner should have already done for this foal. Maybe another ‘owner’ sonewhere Might read this & ‘do right’ by another foal.

This