Absolutely Shocked at Parelli!

doriangrey

Visit site
Ah now see I would have thought you had great riding there. Don't you have open moorlands to ride on?

Not where I live unfortunately, I'm surrounded by pasture but no bridleways. The roads are very narrow and not much room to pass when a muck-spreader is coming your way! I'm not riding at the mo as I have a retiree and a youngster, but when my little boy starts I can see I'll be sectioning off part of my field.

prosefullstop

Visit site
Sorry to hijack post slightly but have to agree with CFU when it comes to American riding styles. I have just moved to the states (6 months ago) and I have never seen anyone riding out on a road. The first time we did it we had abuse hurled at us by other road users. Everyone else at our barn just schools their horses every day on a long rein and just let them plod along

That's been my experience, too. Apart from pockets where there are great trail systems (Bedford NY; North Salem NY; Pawling NY) nobody I know hacks. They are all in the arena, or sometimes walk on a loose rein around the property where they board the horse. These are typically hunter/jumper riders.

DanceswithCows

Visit site
I think it is more than that. I am in awe if the amazing balance and core strength the tackless riders have - they seem to ride extremely effortlessly. imo it shows great riding skills, not so much bond.

I agree, and that's why I said 'generally' - the ones that impress me are the ones who can get over a massive jump tackless, but that IS more about riding skills than bond...although MANY tout it as such.

Casey76

Visit site
I went to the US because of the off road riding...
558174_10150959821583337_513825224_n.jpg

319398_10150959822133337_89654209_n.jpg

I only wish I had the time (and money) to go back.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I might be wrong here but I thought Monty Roberts was nothing to do with Parelli? I like how Monty Roberts is around his horses (from what I've read and seen), its just sort of basics. Whereas Pat Parelli is a whole different ball game, its a joke - their advert on Horse & Country TV ages ago used to anger me so much "you can't love your horse if you don't do this" was their mentality. Its a guilt-tripping, money making scheme is all Parelli is IMO. After watching that 'famous' You Tube video of Mrs Parelli smacking a big leadrope clip round a one-eyed horses face to make it reverse just assured me that my thoughts are correct!

TandD

Visit site
THIS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjDkqkNXFw

I mean seriously how can ANYONE think this "method" is anything other than downright cruel?! I still don't see what Linda wants the horse to do, so I imagine its pretty damn confused too...

I'm not to sure what I just watched..... (Just picked a few points, not all of it)
The first person actually did get steps back, but then no reward, so horse did not know it had done right.....
Second person..... Why hit a horse with a rope on a side it can not see??? What did she achieve? As you say, I'm totally confused with what she wanted, so the horse must be going insane inside his head!!!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hacking in Ireland is not really possible unless you are insane and impervious to massive lorries bearing down on you at 60 miles an hour. You lot are sooo lucky in the UK with your fancy bridleways....I used to live and train in Colorado, and the off road riding wasn't so hot either. I was at Equus live on Saturday and had to repulse the pamphleteering Parrelli-ites quite forcibly. They are a menace.

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
You'd be more than welcome :smile3: I won't post photos of what my riding is like then since your riding in Ireland isn't that great. I'm just surprised, funny how we think something of somewhere and often are so wrong.

Elvis

Visit site
Maybe I don't 'get' parelli but from what I've seen in that video I'm quite frankly appalled. All I saw was a poor confused horse that was being mistreated by a horrible woman.

risky business

Visit site
Although iv seen how awful parelli can be I don't really see what was so shocking about what you saw exactly? Just typical parelli stuff and at least it wasn't the usual beating.

Elvis

Visit site
Although iv seen how awful parelli can be I don't really see what was so shocking about what you saw exactly? Just typical parelli stuff and at least it wasn't the usual beating.

I can't see why she was shaking the rope around so aggressively it must have been uncomfortable for the horse and completely confusing, and swinging the rope in his face, I just didn't see anything I liked. I think it was more the shock of seeing something I didn't expect.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have family in the USA and they would never, ever ride out on a road. They live near a forest where they can get a permit to ride, but it is why they bought that house. Lots of people trailer in to ride in the forest too, so there can't be much choice around there.

The riding in the USA obviously varies at lot!

Pale Rider

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Parelli branded Natural Horsemanship, nor would I go for Monty Roberts. There are more Natural Horsemanship trainers about than you can shake a stick at, some are exceptionally good, some are crap. If you want to practise Natural Horsemanship find a trainer you like and have lessons from them. I think the best way of choosing a trainer is to go see their horses, the relationship and make a judgement.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Trail riding in Colorado *sniff* (that's me at the rear of the line, herding a group of kids along).

IMG_0404.jpg

If one had a trailer or lorry, I think there would be some amazing hacking to be had in Scotland. I've gone on many a hike here that I thought would be an excellent ride.

jokadoka

Visit site
THIS video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjDkqkNXFw

I mean seriously how can ANYONE think this "method" is anything other than downright cruel?! I still don't see what Linda wants the horse to do, so I imagine its pretty damn confused too...

Just sat through the whole 10 minutes of VERY uncomfortable viewing, I'm with you, as in that I have absolutely no idea what she is trying to "teach' the horse........

cava14una

Visit site
I had never seen it but had heard someone suggest adapting it to dogs. If I did something like that to my rescued dog he would be terrified and would bite me. AND I'd deserve it

Tinypony

Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't recommend the Parelli branded Natural Horsemanship, nor would I go for Monty Roberts. There are more Natural Horsemanship trainers about than you can shake a stick at, some are exceptionally good, some are crap. If you want to practise Natural Horsemanship find a trainer you like and have lessons from them. I think the best way of choosing a trainer is to go see their horses, the relationship and make a judgement.

Yep agreed, and go and watch them teach some new students on their first lesson as well.

doriangrey

Visit site
You'd be more than welcome :smile3: I won't post photos of what my riding is like then since your riding in Ireland isn't that great. I'm just surprised, funny how we think something of somewhere and often are so wrong.

Haha don't tempt me, trail riding looks fabulous :) Don't get me wrong though, Ireland is beautiful but as Cortez mentioned - squeezing past muckspreaders just isn't my idea of fun! There are plenty of trekking centres in Ireland that must have access to wonderful hacking - we just happen to be surrounded by farmland. I took this pic when the bottom of our land was badly flooded a few years ago, all the surrounding land is used for grazing cattle and producing silage/haylage there are no bridleways. You can just see the shadow of the Mayo hills in the background. And, as this is a Parelli thread I have seen the video of Linda Parelli with the one-eyed horse and what she was trying to achieve is beyond me. Lucky for her the horse was a decent sort, if it had been like the colt on the Buck video she'd have been roadkill.

attachment.php

LittleMonster

Visit site
Parelli when i was younger fascinated me but then i watched Monty Roberts and i personally prefer him!

Parelli seems to be all money making! they use only there products and before you start you need: DVD Boxset £150... Starter Kit £100 (probs not that much im a tad dramatic!)
Makes me annoyed when people make a pointless brand and also there so called "methods" aren't really that well thought out like the video on a earlier post, what was the bloody point!! I have seen to many Parelli videos that don't make them shine... and im afraid i doubt id be impressed by them again...

Bx

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Lol!! :smile3: Some people only ride in arenas over here. The vast majority do not. Most ride along roads leading to the tons of state/provincial parks and federal land available for use by everyone, or on ranches, or along the huge abundance of trail networks here. Out riding in most states and provinces over here is fantastic! You're a very, very unlucky rider if you don't have miles and miles of outriding at your fingertips.

Right...... so that's it folks, I'm EMIGRATING!!!:):)

cptrayes

Visit site

Smacking a one eyed horse repeatedly under the jaw with a lead rein clip when it had absolutely no idea what it was doing wrong?

Tinypony

Visit site
Smacking a one eyed horse repeatedly under the jaw with a lead rein clip when it had absolutely no idea what it was doing wrong?

I think risky business might have been referring to the original post Cptrayes, rather than the later infamous and much-discussed clip of Barney the one-eyed horse. (From instructional Level 1 DVD).

Mardy Mare

Visit site
I can see the logic of a one-off shake of a lead rope to stop a horse running you over. But to continually do it to a one-eyed horse who is totally and utterly confused is bizarre. I don't even know what they were trying to achieve?

It seemed like she was getting annoyed that the horse kept looking at something else- can you blame it? Also, being blind in one eye, it is going to want to keep an eye on the rest of the herd as it will probably be more insecure.