Acavello Opera v Flex On Incline Ultimate

Smiffypig

Visit site
Hi

was wondering if anyone had any opinions of either the Acavello Opera or Flex On incline stirrup irons?

has anyone used one or the other (or both?)

ive been looking at the Flex On ones and asked at our local tack shop today - they don’t stock flex on but did recommend the Acavello ones.

I have some seriously dodgy joints which make riding painful most of the time - currently using the sprenger bow balance which help but aren’t perfect (not sure if pain free is a realistic aim tbh!)

Or can anyone recommend anything?

Little bit of medical history for background - 5 years post tibial plateau fracture, torn MCL, rupture of ACL, 3 years post metal work removal and arthroscopy to wash out debris around the meniscus also have Hip bursitis and ankle tendinitis due to movement issues on my dodgy leg...

currently get around 20 mins relatively pain free riding before numbness and tingling, takes around 40 mins before I lose all feeling which then makes dismounting interesting...

So any ideas? Or should I take up a hobby less physically damaging?! ?

Green Bean

Visit site
I have the Acavello opera stirrups on my GP saddle. I really like them as they sit at the right angle. I like this aspect plus that they have a wide foot base and grater foot pad. I haven’t tried the flexi ones so can’t comment on them

Smiffypig

Visit site
I think that’s what’s attracting me to the opera - they orientate properly to the stirrup leather rather than the flex on which are old style flat holes.

I always feel like I’m fighting a bit of tension in the leather with the flat style ones.

flat3

Visit site
I have a mashed ankle and have the Operas on both saddles. I find them more comfortable then the 'standard' stirrup but I haven't tried the other brand you mention

Polos

Visit site
From a fellow dodgy knee sufferer (complete ACL rupture which has required 2 surgeries to fix) if you want flex on you need the mixed dots tread and NOT the incline

The incline is designed for the French market who ride a lot shorter which means they will be painful for you to ride in. Shadow horse have a section on their website that details the different variations and what you will need for your needs

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
Hello,

I have the
Acavallo Arena AluPro Safety Stirrups and find that they are very comfy to ride in and don't hurt my knees/ankles where as most others do especially the sprenger flexi ones