Accents and horses names

Louby

Visit site
Pointless post really but found it quite funny.
Tonight Im calling my horse to come in from the field, nothing, didnt even look up, then a lady with an Irish background called her name with an Irish accent and she looked up and galloped to the gate! Ive owned her 18 mths now, since coming over from Ireland as a 3 yr old. Seems Im going to have to start practice saying her name with an Irish accent :p:D

alainax

Visit site
I spoke a bit of fries to my Friesian early on, he seemed to appreciate it!

Can any welsh speakers help me with the correct pronunciation of Cerys?
I’ve watched a few you tube clips and it’s seems to vary. So far we are at “Kerr-iss”

Cobby93

New User
Visit site

I’ve watched a few you tube clips and it’s seems to vary. So far we are at “Kerr-iss”

Yes that's pretty good! Cerys is Che (as in the beginning of theword Chemical) - riss 😊

Snowfilly

Visit site
There's a couple of Spanish imports at the local riding school and the kids practice their school Spanish on them! Not sure that they notice, but it makes me smile to see a kid walking down the boxes going 'morning, Annie, hello Lady, hola Roja!'

Years ago, my mum brought a welsh collie that only understood welsh and came with her own phrase book.

rara007

Visit site
Haha. If you wave a bucket of feed your horse won’t mind how you pronounce his name
You say that- it's taken quite a while to get him to eat all of his 'muesli' too! My old dutch driving pony I kept my poor dutch take on his commands as I took him over mid season and that was the quickest way to get him singing from the same sheet as me!

Annagain

Visit site

That's about right. First syllable rhymes with 'air', second with 'kiss'. It means beloved one.

Generally in Welsh, (there are a few letter combinations that make things a bit different but they don't apply here) letters are pronounced as you would encourage a child to read aloud, so 'a' as in 'apple', e as in 'egg' 'c' as in 'cat' and, unlike English they never change so it's quite straightforward....once you've got your head arounf 'w' and 'y' being vowels in Welsh, "dd" being pronounced as 'th' as in 'that' and 'th' pronounced as a soft 'th as in 'thin', a single 'f' being pronounced as a 'v' and a double 'ff' giving the soft 'f' sound (a bit like 'of' and 'off' in English). In some ways it's clearer as the reader never has to decide how to pronounce letters that change - how do English leaners know the 'th' in 'thin' and 'this' are pronounced differently?

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Pointless post really but found it quite funny.
Tonight Im calling my horse to come in from the field, nothing, didnt even look up, then a lady with an Irish background called her name with an Irish accent and she looked up and galloped to the gate! Ive owned her 18 mths now, since coming over from Ireland as a 3 yr old. Seems Im going to have to start practice saying her name with an Irish accent :p:D

What is her name Louby?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Both of mine are bilingual 😉 and respond to both French and English commands.

Do you mean "equally disobediend in both languages"?

I think that when I'm leading a horse from the stable to the arena, or back again, and stay "stand", the horse does just as I say. But I don't think that a French horse understand the English word, it just understands that when I stop, it should stop as well...

Equine_Dream

Visit site
I always enjoy listening to non-welsh speakers pronounce part of my mare's registered name. Cynheidrefawr which is the stud she came from. It never gets boring 😂

Fiona

Visit site
I always enjoy listening to non-welsh speakers pronounce part of my mare's registered name. Cynheidrefawr which is the stud she came from. It never gets boring 😂

I am very grateful to have a welsh sec A with an easy to pronounce name, though some of her ancestors in her passport are a bit of a tongue twister :(

Fiona

Annagain

Visit site

I'm thinking of starting a pronouciation service for commentators! I think people see a combination of letters, don't recognise the combinations and panic because Cynheidrefawr isn't THAT difficult if you break it down really.

Cyn -rhymes with 'gun'
heid - rhymes with 'aid'
re- 'rare'
fawr - 'vow' with an r at the end. Rrrrrrrrreallly rrrrrrrol the rrrrrrrr.

Cun-haid-rare-vow-rrrrrrrrrrrr

I get that things like a 'll' and a 'ch' are alien sounds and will therefore be difficult but everything else, is fairly easy if you make just a little bit of effort to get it right.

Casey76

Visit site
Do you mean "equally disobediend in both languages"?

I think that when I'm leading a horse from the stable to the arena, or back again, and stay "stand", the horse does just as I say. But I don't think that a French horse understand the English word, it just understands that when I stop, it should stop as well...

Umm no... because I’ve always mixed my languages when I’m twittering on, they respond equally as well to recule/back up; attend/wait; avance/get on; quelle connerie???/wtf???; suffit!/enough!, doucement/gently etc.

They get sworn at in two languages too!

Equi

Visit site
My friends horse was abused by someone with a northern irish accent, and to this day he can't tolerate it. He won't go near me! Shes got a thick irish accent thankfully lol

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Are you ready for this..... Stacey :D or now Staaaaaacey lol. Nothing wrong of course with Stacey for a person but sounded a bit odd at first for a horse. Im used to it now and she actually suits it :)

That's very unusual 🙂 lovely that it suits her - I was expecting something really Irish 😆

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Umm no... because I’ve always mixed my languages when I’m twittering on, they respond equally as well to recule/back up; attend/wait; avance/get on; quelle connerie???/wtf???; suffit!/enough!, doucement/gently etc.

They get sworn at in two languages too!

OK. It was a joke, usually applied to children who are described as "perfectly bilingual: equally disobedient in both languages".