Acceptable show prep?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I mean, the title is a bit of a misnomer, because I think we will all agree that the answer is 'no'...

But I've just seen photos of a well known top -level winning show producer and their friend getting ready for the season with a photo posted on Facebook featuring what I think is:

1. Horse A: grackle noseband, bib martingale, two-ring bubble bit gag with draw reins running from the gag ring up into the snaffle ring to the riders hands, and then the other rein on the gag ring.

2. Horse B: elevator bit with draw reins running through the bottom ring, a snaffle rein and a third rein running from the bottom ring (at least just a Cavesson noseband...)

Why would someone post these photos of themselves without questioning the optics? And more importantly, why is anyone tacking up horses with this much headgear and not questioning their methods?

And as much as I don't want to name and shame broadly on the internet, is there 'something' to be done? (And if so, what?)

SilverLinings

Visit site
No, I don't think that is acceptable show prep.

A vet I know says he will no longer take professional show yards on as clients (he owns his practice so it's his decision) after seeing what went on at some of them over several years in the practice he used to work for. He says it's the only discipline he has a blanket rule on because the 'professionals' he saw all seemed cut from the same cloth. The welfare of the horses came at the bottom of the list of priorities, and there was a high level of 'wastage' in terms of horses that physically couldn't stand up to the regime (I must be really naïve as I'd never even contemplated the showing world having wastage other than just the horses that weren't good enough). I have since spoken to two other vets (working in a different part of the country) about it and they have similar horror stories.

I'm sure there are some people involved professionally in the showing world who aren't like that, and who put the horses' welfare first, but poor welfare seems to be far from rare. Sadly I'm not surprised by the amount and type of tack in the photos you saw OP, but I agree that you'd think in this day and age they would start to realise that pictures like that are seen negatively by a lot of people.

A few years ago when I started to hear people talking about social license and the possible future banning of horse sports- or all riding- I dismissed it, but since about 3-4yrs ago I have come to see that banning of riding in the future is a real possibility, and that the competitive sports are likely to bring about their own downfall via the images they are happy to publicly portray.

humblepie

Visit site
No idea. My previous horse was for around 3 years in show production - top yard, proper horse people. No gadgets, the horses were hacked out, ridden round the countryside, jumped, turned out, mine was ridden in a snaffle and cavesson at home, double in the show ring. Given that you can only use a cavesson in the class, a bit pointless if you need more gear at home. I imagine it isn't the same at all yards but that is probably the same for all disciplines, some good, some excellent, some bad, some awful.

I can happily say I saw nothing in the yard that caused me any concern. The attention to detail was immense, every horse was thought about as an individual. The horses weren't fat - they were in good condition and of a weekend we would often do two or three hour hacks if not competing. I could turn up at any time to ride, definitely nothing being hidden.

Show prep was a lot of hard work, attention to detail and care.

Is the yard you are talking about sponsored - if so you could contact their sponsors with your thoughts.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I mean, the title is a bit of a misnomer, because I think we will all agree that the answer is 'no'...

But I've just seen photos of a well known top -level winning show producer and their friend getting ready for the season with a photo posted on Facebook featuring what I think is:

1. Horse A: grackle noseband, bib martingale, two-ring bubble bit gag with draw reins running from the gag ring up into the snaffle ring to the riders hands, and then the other rein on the gag ring.

2. Horse B: elevator bit with draw reins running through the bottom ring, a snaffle rein and a third rein running from the bottom ring (at least just a Cavesson noseband...)

Why would someone post these photos of themselves without questioning the optics? And more importantly, why is anyone tacking up horses with this much headgear and not questioning their methods?

And as much as I don't want to name and shame broadly on the internet, is there 'something' to be done? (And if so, what?)
But....but....I mean, at least they're not in evil double bridles: snaffles are GOOOOOD, right? Being facetious here obviously, and a reference to part of the discussion on another thread (many other threads...).

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
No idea. My previous horse was for around 3 years in show production - top yard, proper horse people. No gadgets, the horses were hacked out, ridden round the countryside, jumped, turned out, mine was ridden in a snaffle and cavesson at home, double in the show ring. Given that you can only use a cavesson in the class, a bit pointless if you need more gear at home. I imagine it isn't the same at all yards but that is probably the same for all disciplines, some good, some excellent, some bad, some awful.

I can happily say I saw nothing in the yard that caused me any concern. The attention to detail was immense, every horse was thought about as an individual. The horses weren't fat - they were in good condition and of a weekend we would often do two or three hour hacks if not competing. I could turn up at any time to ride, definitely nothing being hidden.

Show prep was a lot of hard work, attention to detail and care.

Is the yard you are talking about sponsored - if so you could contact their sponsors with your thoughts.
Not sponsored, but recent HOYS winners

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
But....but....I mean, at least they're not in evil double bridles: snaffles are GOOOOOD, right? Being facetious here obviously, and a reference to part of the discussion on another thread (many other threads...).

There were no snaffles to be seen here - don't get too excited!!

conniegirl

Visit site
It shows that non of you have had a horse measured recently.

Vets now have to do a full examination of the horse before they measure. If the horse shows sensitivity anywhere then they are not allowed to measure. That includes checking the feet.
The horse also has to be offered water in the presence of the vet 15 mins before measuring.
Any signs of exhaustion or sedation and the vet cannot measure them.

Back handers and dodgy vets are about the only way to get a horse in now.

That said many people are very bad at seeing height.
Ive had a pony who everyone said would be well over. I clipped the hair off his withers, had his shoes taken off and a normal trim the morning of the measurement, had him used to the stick so he was relaxed and he measured under by over 1cm

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I always believed the definition of a snaffle was a bit that did not have any leverage or shank?
A snaffle is defined by where it acts in the mouth. If it primarily works on the corners of the lips and on the bars, with no action on the chin or curb groove, it belongs in the snaffle family. There are hybrids that utilise poll pressure, but they don't belong in the curb group.

EventingMum

Visit site
Although I have no great knowledge of showing I was utterly appalled when an aquaintance got me a puppy from a very well known show producer. Long story short - I had asked to know if the aquaintance was ever going to breed from her bitch but, unknown to me, she got mine from her bitch's breeder and phoned me once he arrived with her with no warning! Anyway, said puppy was in a dreadful state - fleas, ear and skin infections and a very upset stomach. Luckily the aquaintance took him straight to the vet and with treatment and some TLC was fine. 12 years later he is a much loved member of the family however I couldn't believe such a revered member of the showing world could keep puppies in this state.

Last edited: