Accepting your youngster won't make height

Cobber

Visit site
I've had my traditional cob filly since she was 10 months old. She is 4 next month, I love her to bits and she was going to be my forever horse of a lifetime. However I think I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that she is too small for me. Measured her today and she is 13.3 at a push. I was hoping for something at least 14.2 and Im not sure she has much height growth left in her. I'm 5ft 7 and usually weigh about 11 stone. I know cobs can take more weight etc but she isn't a chunky cob she is quite fine and immature looking.

She has been backed and walked around etc the girl who backed her for me didn't look too bad but she is shorter and lighter then me. Anyway I'm 4.5 months pregnant and am waiting for availability somewhere so I can turn her away and leave her to grow up a bit more while Im busy being preggers and having a baby etc.

It's a long time to invest your time and emotions in a horse and I'm having a hard time accepting it. Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what did you do?

miss_c

Visit site
I was in the same situation with Titchy. Knew her from 6 months, owned her from 1 year, had to sell her as a 4 year old as she only made 14.2hh (she was predicted to make 15.2!). She's now 6 and 14.3hh, she went to a fab home (next door!) and is very much loved.

exmoorponyprincess1

Lanarkshire Lass trying out Somerset for size :)
Visit site
She has plenty of time to grow, cons often shoot up between 4 and 7 yrs old
This - I wouldn't worry about the height of her until she's rising 6ish and her skeleton has fully fused.
I have the opposite problem with my 2yo exmoor at the moment - preferred height range for the breed is 11.2 - 12.2hh for mares and I swear she's at least 12hh already! :(

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I really would not worry, my cob was less then that at that age and is now pushing 14hh, I was told they mature slowly and late. Also I would not worry about height, first of all she won't notice your weight and they really take up your leg. You turn her away and have your baby, that little girl won't let you down. Anyway best things come in small packages!!!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I was worried about my last horse as she seemed quite small to me and I couldn't face selling her..anyway she shot up between 4 & 6 and ended up at 16hands, just right for me....lots of horses don't stop growing till they are 6 so fingers crossed she will get big enough for you..

Cobber

Visit site
Thanks guys! Feeling more positive now! She hasn't grown much between 3 and 4, she's very short backed and compact, will be a real pocket rocket I think :) this is my first baby and I suspect I'll be a lot tireder and busier then I think I will be so it suits me fine to give her another year. plus gives me a good reason to keep my weight down!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You're in a good position to turn her away to grow so do it :)

I have a 14.2 cob which I think I look smaller on than my previous 15.2 welsh D. The shorter one wears 6ft3-6ft6 rugs and the D wore 5ft9-6ft rugs. She could fill out a lot in the next few years. Fingers crossed.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine was 14.2 when I bought him at 5. He ended up 15.1. They grow ridiculously slowly, these cobs! There's hope yet if you can hang on for a while. At least she should be within limits for cob shows! I'm going to try to sneak mine in for some shows this year and pray no-one gets out a measuring stick!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I agree with what the other have said; cobs are very slow growers. I would hang on in there. I am 5 ft 9 and currently weigh 10st 5 having lost 6lbs so far for my little filly. Both her parents are 16hh and she's still 14.3hh at rising 4 but not heavily built (WBxTB), so I'm not only too heavy, but too tall for her. Anyway, I am not selling her and so am busy losing weight. I'm not overweight but want to lose another 10lbs or so to back her. I think once she is a year older and more mature and muscled then she will take my current weight fine, but I'm prepared to starve a bit in the meantime.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Welcome to my world! Mine was 13.3hh as a 2yr old and is now barely 14.1hh as a 5yr old, but my god is he a tank of a horse now! He was fairly weedy at 3, now hes got 11 inches of bone and is like the proverbial tank! I dont ride mine at the minute as I am too fat and broken, but my 13 stone 5ft4 friend rides him and she looks like a child. I cry with laughter every time as they look like a Thelwell cartoon! He wouldnt even notice you were there! Hang fire! Yours WILL bulk out loads and really should get bigger, mine is the exception rather than the rule. When hes fully grown and fitter I'd be happy with 15 stone on him. He is the definition of a weight carrier, and really doesnt know my 13 stone friend is up there!

Cobber

Visit site
It's a like a bloody lottery getting these youngsters, you never know what they are going to end up like! Still you don't buy something less then a year old if your in a rush to get on and ride so I'll give her as long as she needs. If I find I'm needing to use my maternity leave more constructively I can get something on loan:)

Wagtail Ive just read through your thread on jockey weight, very interesting. I was the same I always planned to do the backing myself but became concerned with her height and my weight so got someone lighter on just for very basic backing. I admit I did hop on her bareback a few times but then found out I was pregnant so that put an end to that.

kateandluelue

Visit site
Hello
I wouldnt worry!! My mum g0t her old boy who sadly passed away a couple of years ago when he was about 6 and he was a scrawny (not thin just yearling like) and 14.1. He grew a bit and stocked out into a right heavyweight made 14.2/3 and was faaar better to ride than my lanky 15.2 TB like trotter! Chunk also makes alot of difference and that dosent come until later :) dont worry as people have said aroung 6-7 she will prob be where she is height and stockyness wise :)

Vickijay

Visit site
I was too heavy (by loads) to ride a homebred. 1 long and boring diet and I was fine to ride her, she's small, but so am I (now). I have been slim for 2-3 years now and she's worth it. I wouldn't worry about it yet x

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I was too heavy (by loads) to ride a homebred. 1 long and boring diet and I was fine to ride her, she's small, but so am I (now). I have been slim for 2-3 years now and she's worth it. I wouldn't worry about it yet x

Well done you! They are a real incentive, aren't they?

russianhorse

Visit site
My coloured coblet was 13.1 on an advert I found aged 4...... hes nearly 6 now and is 14.1hh. They are definitely slow growers but when they have a growth spurt, they defintely have one

He's also very chunk so takes up all leg - so I don't feel like I'm riding a pony lol

kassieg

Visit site
my horse was 15.2 at 4, shes now 16.1 at rising 6

Give her sometime. Horse grow a lot in their 4 year old year I find & they start filling out between 4 & 5. You may find she makes your 14.2 & ends up nice & chunky :)

Leave her in the field for a year & you will probably end up with a different horse !

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I know cobs can take more weight etc but she isn't a chunky cob she is quite fine and immature looking.

And there you have it!

By the time you are ready to ride again after the baby, she will no longer by immature. I have a rising 4 yr old cob who is going through a very scrawny phase atm. She is definitely going to make the height I bought her to make (16hh) and probably a bit more but she is currently unbacked and unless she fills out in Spring she will be staying that way for longer than I had intended.
We also have a rising 5 Appaloosa who was bought as just backed at 3 yr old, we turned her away to mature and she hasn't been ready to reback until this year. She has grown about a hand and filled out while we've had her.