Access and loopy landowners

frozzy

Visit site
When we lived in our previous house the factory owner who also owned 90% of the houses surrounding ours locked all gates including bridle paths which the local Common Riding used once a year so apart from once a year nobody could use it or any of the other paths/fields around us. The only other way to ride was to get on to the main road to which we had to cross a level crossing! This man is a law unto himself and always will be. Money talks with our council and he always gets his own way. I came out one day to find him narrowing the entrance to our driveway with a fencer! Stating he was renewing the original fence line. We had lived in the house for twenty years and the fence line was never where he said it was. OH sorted it with a chain saw. We were threatened that if we didnt allow him to do what he wished we would be "very sorry" Handed that one to the local constabulary.

Last edited:

treacle86

Visit site
whereabouts are you ffionwinnie ?

sounds very like farmer we had arun in with a few times, he does own most of land around , but even bits he doesnt , he comes down , shouting , swearing , driving big truck with snarling dog hanging off the back of it , another one who doesnt care when he is terrorising children too , hes dug up bits of the road and removed top soil from a steel framed bridge so we cant ride over it now , police and access been to see him, warned him, but he thinks he can keep doing it , this is tealing /inveraldie area we encounter him , its a shame as there are so many insane farmers and landowners who ruin it for us walkers, riders etc but then there are the same walkers and riders etc who ruin land and rights by not being respectful etc xx

AengusOg

Visit site
FfionWinnie, I am confused as to why you didn't give this individual your name, particularly as you say you know who he is and have met him socially. You are a shepherd, or at least involved in some form of livestock work, are you not? Surely, had you identified yourself, this man would have realised that you are a neighbour, involved in rural employment, and, possibly, the whole thing could have been resolved on the spot.

I know it shouldn't make any difference, in terms of the Access Code, whether you are a neighbour, or what your ties with the area are, but, as a shepherd myself, I am well aware of how farmers' and land-owners' relationships work. They all know each other, and there is always a degree of inter-dependency which tends to keep the gears oiled, so to speak.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't think it would have made much difference if he knew who I was (he likely does now). He was very aggressive and I just on the spot, didn't want to give him my name to be honest, it had got past the "oh its you that's ok" stage by the time he asked.

With any of my other neighbours I would totally agree with you (plus they would have recognised me and not been bothered anyway).