Accident/pretty shocking driving

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Couldn't believe what I was seeing, the driver didn't even slow down or flinch! Keeping an eye out for an update on the riders and horses. Whenever I go out hacking I always worry as our roads are busy, this is enough to put you off completely .

Isn't it just, it came up on my facebook just as I was on the phone sorting the 8am exercise the lot arrangements for the morning, now I am not sure I want to go on the lanes. I sincerely hope justice is done and the driver is convicted. Thoughts with those poor riders and horses.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I think the video has been downloaded a few times, I've seen it on other pages but then removed, I imagine it will crop up again soon. It really is the kind of thing that needs to be shared and seen for other's safety though; in fact, I went out riding yesterday and we have a sharp bend right outside the house, straight off a main road. A car had clearly come round at some ridiculous speed as there were dark tyre marks across both lanes, they had gone across the wide grass verge and hit a brick wall. It seems they managed to bounce off the wall and get back on the road again, just imagine if a horse had been there, which they often are as it's a few feet outside our gate! You wouldn't stand a chance.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I don't understand the 'hinder prosecution' bit.

Any numpty can see the car is on the wrong side of the road, travelling at speed into those poor horses and riders.

Hinder prosecution my arse.....

Equi

Visit site
There's one person on fb who makes it their mission to get every video removed from it. Maybe they're a spy lol I've yet to hear of any prosecution not to ahead cause of a fb video.

Doris68

Visit site
It has disappeared from mine presumably taken down.

Awful incident

It's still on my page! Don't know what I should do, as I said I wouldn't apologise for posting it, as it might make people realise what dreadful things can happen to innocent road users.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
well obviously the Facebook OP intended it to be on there.
It seemed as thought it was from the house cctv and that they were sadly expecting a terrible incident such as this and using the camera to document it.
Im sure its evidence and thats why its been taken down so that potential jurors dont become familiar with it and form their own opinions before being shown it as part of any possible forthcoming trial.
Seems fair enough.

Of course it was pretty horrendous viewing and all good wishes to everyone involved xx

alainax

Visit site
Watched it earlier, I hard to imagine that the poor coloureds front legs are going to be ok. So hope they all make a speedy recovery. What an absolute idiot driver, there's no excuse for that. If he lost control then he was driving both beyond his ability and above what was safe in the road conditions. At one point I thought he was going to drive off.

The worst part was there was room for he horses to go somewhere, they just didn't expect he was going to drive so atrociously

As others have said, it could have been a walker or a group of cyclists. The horses did absolutely nothing wrong.

Puts me right off going on the road. I wish all those who say horses should not be allowed on the road would petition for a huge network of bridleways... we would happily keep off the road if it were possible! Not to mention the whole horses were on the road first thing of course...

Last edited:

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
This was on my facebook earlier on ERG- Community and Adverts

For anyone interested, Witcham Equestrian Centre have made the following statement RE the horses and riders involved in the recent video.
"2 horses from WEC were involved in a road accident today through no fault of their own or their riders. Patsy was hit by a car but has been treated by the vet and we will keep you up to date with her recovery over the coming weeks. Jane Huck, Verity & Fleur are bruised and shocked. Thank you to everyone who helped the horses and riders."

maree t

Visit site
I saw it , horrifying . Those poor people and horses . I hope they all make a speedy recovery and that driver gets severely punished . However shocked he was he took so long to do anything .

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I think the video has been downloaded a few times, I've seen it on other pages but then removed, I imagine it will crop up again soon. It really is the kind of thing that needs to be shared and seen for other's safety though; in fact, I went out riding yesterday and we have a sharp bend right outside the house, straight off a main road. A car had clearly come round at some ridiculous speed as there were dark tyre marks across both lanes, they had gone across the wide grass verge and hit a brick wall. It seems they managed to bounce off the wall and get back on the road again, just imagine if a horse had been there, which they often are as it's a few feet outside our gate! You wouldn't stand a chance.

We have a sharp left at the top of my parents drive, but with camber to the right as the priorities were changed where it meets another road at an angle. My parents drive is straight on from the bend. The get 2 or 3 cars a year in the field by their drive who have misjudged the bend. We always used to ride on the right there if we came home that way because on the left we would be invisible. I look back 20 years and cannot believe I used to ride on that road, but then there were less cars on the road.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The video was horrific. The horses and riders did nothing wrong.

Riding out on the roads in today's traffic with its distracted drivers is nuts, sadly. My accompanying ninja cyclist would have been no help at all in that situation, indeed he'd probably have been taken out by the same vehicle.

All best vibes to all involved.

FabioandFreddy

Visit site
I shared on my page last night and it's now gone so must have taken down. Was horrific to watch, thoughts with those involved and hope for a speedy recovery.

chillipup

Visit site
The cctv footage is still on the Cambridge News website this morning. I do wish the very best to both horses and riders in their recovery, although sadly, I suspect the mental trauma suffered may last a very long time. Such a dreadful and so unnecessary incident.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This from a recent review posted on the WEC FB page. Patsy is the coloured horse who got the worst of the impact.

Home from Home. Lovely people, superb horses. I feel so comfortable riding here, I ride the lovely horse called Patsy who is a sweetie and are doing some dressage training to refresh old skills

All possible vibes that she makes a full recovery.

ETA This aerial view of the junctions of Mepal Road, Hive Road and Martins Lane looks to be the scene of the incident, it's just down the road from the equestrian centre.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I didn't realise it was quite so close to where I am when I posted. There seems to have been far more accidents in the area than I am used to in Wiltshire.

only_me

Visit site
It was awful. Horrific accident and I hope they are ok.
The thing is the driver isn't going to be as heavily prosecuted as they "only" hit a horse and not a child or cyclist.
But horrific accident and totally the drivers fault. He deserves a long ban from driving and then to retake his test.

Shavings

Visit site
I watched it and was in complete shock at the speed of the driver and the fact that didnt seem to really care!
(i would have got out the car and been ringing 999!)
not that i drive like that but you get the idea!!

does any one know how horses and riders are doing? hoping there all ok

dizzyneddy

Visit site
OMG! l've just seen this thread l truely hope both horses & riders are ok & that the driver doesn't get off scotch free everyone reacts differently but l made sure l parked up out of the way rather than stopped where he did. The driver was definitely going to fast for the corner l'm just pleased that one of the houses had cctv. It's so sad that our roads are becoming so dangerous for horses & riders. l feel if it had happened to a cyclist people's reactions would be different l feel that too many drivers are getting anti-horses & l don't know why as horses were on the roads well before vehicles existed. l have some beautiful hacking but l have reach it by turning on right on a blind corner so l tend to avoid it & ride nearer where it's quieter. If l do decide to go to the bridleway l'll ride early in the morning & avoid the times it's busy.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Wow that was shocking - a miracle that no one was killed. I hope that both horses and riders make a swift recovery.

The car definitely aquaplaned, but only because the idiot driver was going far too fast anyway. He would have been going too fast even if the roads were dry! So many forget to adjust their driving in wet conditions. This kind of accident really makes you think doesn't it? This could happen to any of us.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I watched this just before I went to bed last night, instantly regretted and couldn't get to sleep for hours! I really hope all are okay! and even if the drive was in shock, that the Fu ck were they doing driving on the wrong side of the road, it wasn't a narrow road, there was no reason for them to be there, they should have been able to see the horses coming, in my eyes it looked like they did it on purpose.

Clare85

Visit site
I saw this on fb last night and it made my blood run cold. Such dangerous driving shows such selfish disregard for all other road users. I'm amazed no-one was killed. Wishing horses and riders speedy recoveries - mental as well as physical.

I think the video may have now been removed due to the potential for it to jeopordise any investigation and subsequent prosecution.