Achillies tendon

tjmadron

Visit site
Has anyone ever broken it and how long did it take to return to riding after the operation to repair it ?

My boss has broken his and is having an operation this week ,he thinks he will be riding again by xmas....is he being optimisic ??

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
yes that should be fine. my ex snapped his. 3 weeks with toe plastered down. 3 weeks plastered with toe slightly more level - then 3 weeks with toes level. then out of plaster and back to normal over a month. so about 3 months in total.

tjmadron

Visit site
Hi Thanks for the reply

he will planning to go sraight back to hunting so will be in the saddle all day twice a week surely that amount of strain so soon would not be good ??

miller

Visit site
OH's brother has just done this, had 3 weeks in pot, now got boot on with set angle, going back 3 weekly to have adjusted over 21 weeks and has been told it could take over a year to feel 'as normal as it now ever will' - been told to not expect to do much walking/sports for around 1 year????

Hoping story above will be more like it as he's not being a good patient

Fruddy

Visit site
Think that's being a bit optimistic.

I completely snapped mine on the 3rd December last year and I am still in a rom boot. I was initially casted for seven weeks in Equinus position (toes pointing at the floor), then started physio and was walking okay again when on the 28th March 2008 I snapped it again walking upstairs with some washing. I had to have surgery to repair the tendon, then spent nearly 18 weeks in various different casts and finally have been in a rom boot for the last two and a half months, which I take off at home although have to wear it outside. I have now been having physio for three months, I haven't ridden for nine months and have been told that it could well be another three months before my tendon is strong enough again for me not to worry about it every minute.

The problem with a ruptured tendon is that it is always going to be slightly weaker because it has snapped and whether it has been repaired surgically or conservatively, you stand between an 18 to 25% chance of a re-rupture if you have already suffered one - this is what happened to me. Unfortunately for me, now that my tendon has ruptured twice, the chances of it happening yet again are now about 40% and if this DOES happen, my surgeon has said that I could well be left with some form of permanent disability, such as a limp or having to use a stick.

All I am trying to say is please be careful - don't try to run before you can walk, so to speak. the worst possible thing is doing to much, too soon and suffering a re-rupture. I have spent ten months of absolute hell with my leg and it aint over yet.