Aching body!!

sam_

Visit site
I actually feel like I'm falling apart, I work mon-fri as a groom/rider and spend most weekends competing my own horses, does anyone feel my pain!?

It looks like I'm going to have to get keyhole on both knees after a few consultations as physio/hydro therapy (swimming exercises basically!) hasn't really been of any use! I have a bad back, I go to the chiropractor fortnightly and a sports massage once a month and just to add to the list of problems I have a gammie shoulder! I click and grind and creak and I am only 28!!

I think I need to change to a less strenuous career or ideally win the lottery so I can have my own yard and minions lol!

Bit of a pointless post I know but just sitting here thinking about how much I appear to be falling apart!

Herts05

Visit site
Try Yoga! Really helps to back up the work you are doing with the sports massage. Also is a fantastic help with relaxation.

Tobiano

Visit site
oh dear! Poor you. Not ideal, but they do amazingly clever things with keyhole surgery nowadays and if you are told you need it do go ahead - I am sure it will make life much better for you.

I also know a few people with a bad back who swear by the Alexander technique - though you have to go to lessons and with your schedule that looks a bit of a tall order!

Anyway hope you can get things fixed and be out of pain - not fun to feel it in so many places! x

BethanT

Visit site
Agree with trying yoga. And maybe also Pilates. I'm simalar to you in that I ride all week then hunt and compete on weekends. Since I've been doing though felt much stronger and better for it. Physio and massages are good too. I'm just starting a sports massage course after finished my personal trainer qualification :)

yannialice

Visit site
Are you possibly hyper mobile with all these problems. Get yourself some gait analysis, possibly orthotics and a good physio.
I used to be crippled and did all that and now not broken anymore. I'm a podiatrist and was looking at back surgery. It was expensive for about 3 months but best money I ever spent!!! Not had a problem for 5 years and can walk and ride miles now!!! Where are you I may know a podiatrist or physio that is good!!!

lizbet

Visit site
Horse job is hard work on a body. But can i ask has any one done any blood tests on you be very suprised if they have not.At 28 your body should be able to cope with this.I would expect to hear this from a 40 year old. There is a massive differance to what you can cope with at 28 as to 40.Insist on ESR bloods for a start.Ask why are you in so much pain. This does not seem right to me.There are top young athletes your age doing more they are not going through this.something may be underlying

sam_

Visit site
Thanks guys, a friend of mine said about yoga as well, it may well be worth the try see if it helps, i am at the point now i will give anything ago! Never heard of the alexander technique though, will have to go to google to look that one up!
No definitely not hyper mobile, this has been brought up before, i have a special insole for my shoes to help as have collapsed arches it's something i wish i had thought of a lot sooner than i did! Am i right in thinking podiatry is all to do with the feet?
lizbit you are telling me! I'm not going to lie when saying i'm sure there are a lot of 40yo in less pain than i am right now! Never had ESR bloods, but was hospitalised last year but i'm sure when bloods were taking it would just be the usual? Nothing was was said bar having a low white blood cell count. Might be something to ask the doctor about. I have always just put it down to being constantly on the go if not mucking out stables or humphing shavings and haynets around i'm riding.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i was amazed to read that you are only 28.....you should definately be able to do everything without feeling in loads of pain. when i was 55 i retired from my office job( so my body was not used to continual physical work)..i had my own horse(still have)and worked at 3 separate yards. i did 12 hour days and although i was really tired in the evening i wasnt in pain. i did lose loads of weight though... i am alot older now and do have hip pain and back pain but this is expected in your late sixties..i think you need to go back to your doctor and have a full M.O.T..

lizbet

Visit site
i was amazed to read that you are only 28.....you should definately be able to do everything without feeling in loads of pain. when i was 55 i retired from my office job( so my body was not used to continual physical work)..i had my own horse(still have)and worked at 3 separate yards. i did 12 hour days and although i was really tired in the evening i wasnt in pain. i did lose loads of weight though... i am alot older now and do have hip pain and back pain but this is expected in your late sixties..i think you need to go back to your doctor and have a full M.O.T..
Hear hear maybe inflammatory problem /disease.Not right if never been injured whole host of possabilities.

sam_

Visit site
Hear hear maybe inflammatory problem /disease.Not right if never been injured whole host of possabilities.

This has made me think abit more about it now! I think i have always just put it down to the work and treated each thing individually and not looked at it as a whole! So was talking to one of the liveries today who is a GP and she mentioned some fibro-something that could be connected to feeling tired all the time which again i have just put down to the work and being in pain! Think i might just need to make another appointment and tell them all the problems which i hate because i just feel like i sound like i'm having a good old moan and should just man up and get on with it!

lizbet

Visit site
Dont we all but we know when our body is tired or something is just not right hear listen to your body get checked out .maybe nothing much anyway.Now go docs and tell us all how you have gone on or else!

sam_

Visit site
Dont we all but we know when our body is tired or something is just not right hear listen to your body get checked out .maybe nothing much anyway.Now go docs and tell us all how you have gone on or else!

Thanks lizbet :) i have a day off on monday so will try get an appointment for then! I shall let you know!

lizbet

Visit site
Great I lost my wounderfull brother who was my best friend at a young age.To a terriable immune conditon literaly overnight just as diagnoised.It is his birthday today.All the family have been to the cemetary.Hundreds at his funeral.so much life to live.A life he loved.Heartbreaking.Good luck sam.

sam_

Visit site
So sorry to hear that lizbet! Birthdays and special occasions are definitely hard days when you have lost loved ones :( thanks again for your advice and I will let you know if anything comes of it!

Last edited:

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Remember to check your posture when your working. I feel your pain, don't work with horses
(Hobby rider) but have worked as a carer for the disabled & have repetitive strain injuries etc. & I'm only a wee bit older than you :( swimming is also really good for aches & pains ;)

magic14

Visit site
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain . Just over 2 years ago I was in a similar situation, sometimes the pain would be so bad I would cry! I was sent for bloods, X rays, all came back clear but I kept insisting something wasn't right, fortunately I saw another doctor who queried why my vitamin d hadn't been tested, had that done and it turned out I had virtually no vitamin d in my body! I started treatment and slowly but surely my painstarted to ease, it has taken nearly two years to get back to normal.

Vitamin d deficiency is becoming quite common! I'm on treatment for life now as I was so low.
Anyway hope you get things sorted!

sam_

Visit site
Sorry haven't been online at all recently life has been more hectic than usual lol! Well didn't get to the doc until thursday there and it wasn't my usual one and i was quite happy actually he seemed to actually listen to what i had to say and didn't make me feel like i was just rambling on haha! I have now had bloods taken and had a couple of concerns my blood pressure was really low and i am now going for a CT scan of my spleen! We discussed some other things and possibilities and it really could just be down to working to much and just being tired and sore, good excuse to book a holiday i hope! So that's were i am at just now will report back with more when i know more!

I go swimming once a week before work, don't really know if that makes overly much difference but i find it quite theraputic and relaxing! If i liked getting up in the morning a bit more would prob do it more often!

lizbet

Visit site
Oh your hear sam! Well glad you went to the docs.They seem to be taking care of you glad about that.Try and take things easy till all results in.Hope everything will be ok sure it will be.Keep us up to date stop us all worrying.Never be worried about going to the doc.

Visit site
Just read this thread - I know exactly how you feel as I feel exactly the same these days! Workride racehorses 6 mornings a week, yard chores 5 afternoons a week before doing my vast number of horses and then have a 2nd job working on my computer at home. I am 26 and I have more clicky joints than non-clicky, my back is a constant niggle at the best of times, horrendous at the worst, I am forever tired and never seem to be able to catch up in either body or mind.

I might try the yoga or pilates if I get the time. Massage and pysio is out of the question for me. No harm to see if it works.

sam_

Visit site
Thankyou lizbet! I went in with a totally different attitude I have been dealing with the pain for so long and treating each thing seperatly and to how I thought it should be dealt with and never thought that it could be anything to do with my immune system or something else!

EKW it is horrible isn't it I am the exact same, my back upsets me the most as it upsets my sleep and on the odd occasion that I get a lie in I can't because it's too painful! Would be interesting to see if yoga helps, I have been at the stage that I will give anything a try for a while now! As for sports massage it is quite uncomfortable at the time but it does help for a little while!

But will see what these results say when they come back! Unfortunately lizbet I can't really take it easy work is hectic at the moment it's all go go go!

lizbet

Visit site
I know work hectic and people telling you to change is a real bug bear of mine.what do you know .I cant.I just have to do this.We all do it.Also stress and state of mind is just as dangerous for us as any thing else.Yet very few of us listen to our bodies and learn.Its the same with horses to learn to reconise the warning signs and try to change your ways.How boreings that

Fun Times

Visit site
Hello, just wanted to offer my sympathy. Am thirty six and in constant pain with back, pelvis, neck and most of my muscles. I see the chiro almost weekly to keep on top of it all. I suffer headaches and feel more tired than I ought. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia which is basically the diagnosis they give when you have lots of inexplicable pain and they cant figure it out. It could accou t for some of your problems. Random qu, but have you ever had glandular fever?

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
OP -ope your bloodtests come out ok. I had been feeling similar to you, but I am in my 40's and don't do anything like as much work as you, everything was crunching and aching. In the mornings my back would be locked up and I would have to walk around like an old lady for the first 5 minutes or so until it loosened off. Ihhad a physio assement which found I was very one sided (as most of us are). I have found pilates has helped a lot and trying to think about how I am perfoming chores/lifteing etc. Hope you feel better soon.

Equi

Visit site
My friend who worked at a race yard then hunted/raced or hunter trailed every week has shot knees too. At 19 she was having physio! Whoever said horses was a soft sport..lol

julie111

Visit site
Hi, I'm 49 I have lots of back problems, discs slipped and a couple of tears, both my Knees crunch and are painful and swollen. Getting out of bed in the morning is difficult and takes me a while to loosen up. I take a cocktail of tablets which enable me to keep riding. I hope you feel better soon' take care