Acorns

windswoo

Visit site
I've got three oak trees that border the field that are full of acorns and just caught my big lad lift his head up and take a munch acorn included.
I'm now having a panic that he's been eating them.
I've moved the electric fencing out so that he can't get to them, I just hope he's not ate too many.
I'm just now going to have to keep an eye on him.

dorsetladette

Visit site
my acorn addict is staring longingly across the field to the heavily laden oak trees. They seem to be dropping really slowly though. we could do with a few very windy evening to help it along and get it over and done with quicker.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
my acorn addict is staring longingly across the field to the heavily laden oak trees. They seem to be dropping really slowly though. we could do with a few very windy evening to help it along and get it over and done with quicker.
I'm sitting at my yard at present waiting for someone, it's breezy, there is non stop falling of acorns which are especially noisy on the stables roofs! Like lots of little guns going off!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Out of 25 goats, only the 2 anglo nubians will eat them. Very annoying as this morning there were loads on the ground.
This is the first year we've had oak trees in the fields (moved house). How much of an issue are they for horses? The Dales is very keen on them so I've moved them into the bottom paddock for now away from the oaks. But that's been resting and is lush and green so not sure which is the worst option!
Next year we will have pigs so that should be the acorns sorted...

meleeka

Visit site
This is the first year we've had oak trees in the fields (moved house). How much of an issue are they for horses? The Dales is very keen on them so I've moved them into the bottom paddock for now away from the oaks. But that's been resting and is lush and green so not sure which is the worst option!
Next year we will have pigs so that should be the acorns sorted...
It’s really down to luck I’m afraid. A horse near me nearly died from eating them a few years ago. The same horse has moved fields to a bigger one but still surrounded by oaks and still eating loads of acorns ?. They haven’t affected him since so goodness knows why that year was so bad. I dread to think what his liver looks like.

My pigs love them but I lost a pig a few years ago to a suspected blockage. They seem to be fine eating them as they fall, but he was out in the horses spare field gorging on them the weekend before so it’s something I’m careful not to repeat.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
We have a couple of small oak trees on our boundary. One of my sheep is always to be found under them, hopefully hoovering them all up. The horses don't seem interested thankfully.